Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 12:58:12 AM

Author Topic: Mach4 Printer Port Discussions  (Read 1243661 times)

Re: Mach4 Printer Port Discussions
« Reply #240 on: August 09, 2014, 12:27:16 PM »
No luck with Darwin 1.11 - the stuttering while jogging or rapids in Mach4 are still there.  Homing while referencing axis moves smoothly, but that's all Darwin there.  No crashes for me.

-Freeman
I'm not a complete idiot...
    there are some parts missing.

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 09, 2014, 12:41:35 PM »
Freeman:

Pretty strange. I find it hard to blame that on CPU Power, my machine isnt great but run at 0%..

Has to be some process or another hanging up.. hopefully it will become appararent as we go..

Art

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 09, 2014, 12:57:30 PM »
New Darwin version here , only difference is the help file link to the video.

New video online at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6SU5JVTpik

for configuring Darwin.

Note:
  I did neglect to mention that to home you  set the motors home switch (Just under the motor enable) to the signal number of the home signal
you set up in inputs. So if Signal #4 is set to "HomeX", then you have to enter 4 in the motors "home switch" box in the motors tab.

Art

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 12:59:17 PM by ART »

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #243 on: August 09, 2014, 01:04:09 PM »
No luck with Darwin 1.11 - the stuttering while jogging or rapids in Mach4 are still there.  Homing while referencing axis moves smoothly, but that's all Darwin there.  No crashes for me.

-Freeman

Do you have anything else running? I saw similar behavior with Firefox running.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 09, 2014, 01:20:03 PM »
For anyone testing and finding their motor mappings and settings gone... Ive noticed if you reboot
all your settings come back..

Art

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #245 on: August 09, 2014, 01:38:47 PM »
For anyone testing and finding their motor mappings and settings gone... Ive noticed if you reboot
all your settings come back..

Art

Not here they didn't. Enabling them gave me a crash.
When I went to run the DarwinTest, I noticed that the entire Darwin2014-1-11 folder that I had extracted into mach4Hobby was gone.
Extracted a new copy, ran DarwinTest, and got:
Another instance of Darwin is already running, followed by a crash of DarwinTest, while Mach4gui continued to chug along in the background, impervious to everything but a hard reboot. :(

Is there any chance that Darwin is messing with my DVD drive? It was working fine the other day, but when I just went to use it, it's not there. Device manager says Windows can't find it.
Removing it and rebooting, had Windows find and install it, and then proceed to tell me that it can't find it.
Time to finally move away from XP. Just need to save another $1500 for my next 7 year PC.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 09, 2014, 02:25:19 PM »
Gerry:

No, Darwin really cant screw with you, but rebooting always has a chance of it. I too noticed that runnign DriverTest won twork most of the time,
Ive been hard booting as well. Id advise leaving it till we figure out why the settings are slowly disappearing. The fact they CAN come back
means their not getting overwritten, I think instead a bug is happening.. We'll wait till monday and see what Brian thinks..
Thx
Art
« Reply #247 on: August 09, 2014, 02:39:42 PM »
Freeman:

Pretty strange. I find it hard to blame that on CPU Power, my machine isnt great but run at 0%..

Has to be some process or another hanging up.. hopefully it will become appararent as we go..

Art

Chrome hangouts was running in the background.  That seemed to be the only "extra" processing that was running for me or any other user on the system.  I made a point killing everything that was extraneous, only "slight" improvement in jogging or rapids.  I seem to remember one of the first attempts early on that ran smoothly, it was on my built in video card, so I removed the GTX 550ti and the extra PCI serial port.  Still no improvement.

I tried forcing the process priority higher incrementally, there was "slight" improvement until I set the mach4gui process to "realtime".  There was no performance gain but, the GUI was ignored.  Jogging once caused the table to stutter move until it hit a limit switch was hit or I triggered one myself.  None of the GUI buttons were responded to.

Just as a data point, I'm running under Win 7 Home edition.  I tried running under Win XP SP 3 compatibility mode with no change.

-Freeman
I'm not a complete idiot...
    there are some parts missing.

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 09, 2014, 03:42:26 PM »
Freeman..

Well, Im still seeing symptoms of weirdness, so dont give up hope, yours may be just more
sensitve to whatevers wrong.

Art

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 09, 2014, 04:49:51 PM »
Well, I found a workaround for the problem on my machine. Every once in a while, ( 1 out of 4-5 runs) the ini file gets loaded wrong. If you try fixing the
mapping you crash..but if you exit and then overwrite the ini with a good one, your fine again until it loads bad data again. So if you setup
Darwin, then exit, copy the machine.ini file to good.ini youll be ok as long as when you run the program and any signals are missing, you copy the good.ini  back to machine.ini . Your next run will be fine.  Probably a code order thing where Im using the file before it can be done safely or something.. hopefully fixed soon...

Art