Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:26:06 PM

Author Topic: Mach 4 Bug Reports  (Read 498092 times)

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 4 Bug Reports
« Reply #340 on: May 15, 2015, 02:02:01 PM »
"What are jogging inputs?"

Jog Axis +/-
e.g. Jog X+, Jog X-,Jog Y+... Physical switches or screen <buttons> that are mapped to Command axis to jog in the +/- direction 

Your post was about physical switches (and you also mentioned ESS.)

Where/how do you have them connected to MACH4?

Offline TimGS

•  108 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 15, 2015, 05:19:11 PM »
Update:

WARNING!!!!!

If you have physical switches tied to your jogging inputs and you touch a switch prior to enabling Mach 4 the motors will start moving and not stop!!!!!!

Type of controller: ESS

I started with a clean (delete all) load...
After configuring ESS, Switches and Motors I brought Mach4 up from a cold start. 
I pressed the <Jog A +> switch and the motor started to move though the machine wasn't enabled. 
To stop the motor enabled then disabled Mach4.  All stopped. 
Enabled Mach4 then put the Jog Mode to Step with an Increment of 1.0
Disabled Mach4 then pressed the <Jog A +> switch and the motor moved 1.0
Looks like the "Enable/Disable" state isn't being checked in the Jog Function

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 16, 2015, 02:57:15 PM »
It is my impression that the Mach Team wants only bug reports in this thread, and not discussions.

There is a thread going specifically about interfacing Jogging hardware to MACH4 and you may find some useful information there. I am headed there now to add a few comments on this topic.

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 17, 2015, 07:14:36 AM »

If you have physical switches tied to your jogging inputs and you touch a switch prior to enabling Mach 4 the motors will start moving and not stop!!!!!!

Type of controller: ESS

Looks like the "Enable/Disable" state isn't being checked in the Jog Function

My jogging device is interfaced more or less directly with MACH4 thru Modbus and the PLC script and I am not having the same issue. There are several people building and using jogging interfaces thru the keyboard plug-in and that seems to be working fine.

Since you are interfaced thru the ESS, it might be possible that the problem lies with the ESS and not with MACH4.

It sounds like an Uber-Nasty bug so you might consider posting it in the Smoothstepper area (if you have not done so already).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 07:16:18 AM by simpson36 »
« Reply #344 on: May 17, 2015, 10:13:21 AM »
simpson36

"My jogging device is interfaced more or less directly with MACH4 thru Modbus and the PLC script and I am not having the same issue. There are several people building and using jogging interfaces thru the keyboard plug-in and that seems to be working fine.

Since you are interfaced thru the ESS, it might be possible that the problem lies with the ESS and not with MACH4.

It sounds like an Uber-Nasty bug so you might consider posting it in the Smoothstepper area (if you have not done so already)."

I posted a while back about this and I'm using Darwin so It's a Mach4 bug... here's what happens.... I have the keyboard setup for jogging I didn't do any scripting to use the jogging just set up the keys in the mach4 keyboard setup.

When the machine is disabled and I press any of the jog keys on the keyboard nothing happens because I have a charge pump connected.... but as soon as I hit the enable button the axis will start jogging without any jog buttons being pressed.... if you know not to do that no problem but If people don't know it could happen someone could get hurt or stuff could get wrecked..... it's a safety issue.

It could be the keyboard plugin if ya consider that being seperate but I still consider that part of the Mach4 software.

Dave

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: May 17, 2015, 10:44:46 AM »
It could be the keyboard plugin if ya consider that being seperate but I still consider that part of the Mach4 software.

I agree on both counts. A plug-in provided by Newfangled Solutions is definitely a part of the software.

This bug got my attention because I am finishing up a jogging device at this time. I started MACH4 with a continuous stream of jogging moves flowing into MACH4 from the TCP Modbus to the PLC script (ahead of all the enabling code) and there was no movement and nothing was queued up or buffered from the input stream.

Keyboards and/or their associated drivers  (be it MACH4, Windows, various key grabbers, key snoopers and so on) have buffers, so I would speculate that the problem is in the plug-in. I'm guessing that the user does not have access to flush the buffer on startup and it would *appear* that MACH4 and/or the Plug-in is not doing that either. That would explain keystrokes being stored and released to MACH4 as soon as it accesses the plug-in.

I'm not a keyboard expert by any means, but I would not be surprised to find that the physical keyboard itself has a small internal buffer, in which case, flushing the Plug-in may not be adequate. The plug-in would need to collect all available characters in the keyboard buffer and flush everything before passing the first post-initialization key code.

The above is purely speculation on my part, and even if it is correct, I don't think the user has access to the area where a solution can be made.  Very nasty bug. Hopefully this one gets escalated.

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 23, 2015, 01:35:26 AM »
keyboard plug is still dead
« Reply #347 on: May 23, 2015, 04:18:05 PM »
Simpson36,
Interesting, I have been playing with the POKEY plugin for MACH4 and it has buttons for jogging X,Y,Z,A etc both + and negative.  When the plugin is installed as soon as I touch the Jog X+ button it starts going and keeps going even when you let your finger off the button.  I had to get to the jog screen and press the Jog X- button on the screen to get this to stop.  If you reset the DROs to zero and jog using the buttons on the MACH4 screen and then touch the buttons on the pendant they work correctly, but the first time it will always run away.  This appears to be a bug in MACH4.

Russ

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 23, 2015, 05:41:58 PM »
there needs to be a code added to the plc and other to stop jogging working when the machine is not enabled

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 24, 2015, 03:37:53 AM »
Simpson36,
Interesting, I have been playing with the POKEY plugin for MACH4 . . . . .
Russ

USB or Ethernet?