Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 01:20:43 AM

Author Topic: Mach 4 Bug Reports  (Read 498970 times)

Offline Bodini

•  216 216
    • View Profile
IsStill is still wonky
« Reply #170 on: June 07, 2014, 09:09:30 PM »
There was talk of IsStill being fixed for the "next release" (1817) here --> http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,27254.msg192453.html#msg192453

But IsStill is still having issues.  :P

This works
Code: [Select]
inst = mc.mcGetInstance()
mc.mcCntlGcodeExecute(inst, "g91 g1 x1") --execute gcode
while (mc.mcCntlIsStill(inst)==1) do  --loops through this while an axis is moving
    mc.mcCntlSetLastError(inst, "axis in motion") --do this while axis is moving
end  --ends the loop
mc.mcCntlSetLastError(inst, "axis is stopped")  --continues here after axis is done moving
mc.mcCntlGcodeExecute(inst, "g90") --execute gcode

This does not.  Only difference is the last line.
Code: [Select]
inst = mc.mcGetInstance()
mc.mcCntlGcodeExecute(inst, "g91 g1 x1") --execute gcode
while (mc.mcCntlIsStill(inst)==1) do  --loops through this while an axis is moving
    mc.mcCntlSetLastError(inst, "axis in motion") --do this while axis is moving
end  --ends the loop
mc.mcCntlSetLastError(inst, "axis is stopped")  --continues here after axis is done moving
mc.mcCntlGcodeExecute(inst, "g91 g1 y1") --execute gcode

It doesn't crash, but it becomes unresponsive as if it was moving the axis (although I dont think it gave the error message during the function), but nothings happening on the DROs.
Re: Mach 4 Bug Reports
« Reply #171 on: June 13, 2014, 05:13:27 AM »
Hi All
Re my problems reported on the 6th.
Are there any answers????
Graham
« Reply #172 on: June 30, 2014, 04:49:45 PM »
Just tried version 1872, still got the same problem.
What am I doing wrong??????????????

Graham

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 30, 2014, 05:28:36 PM »
Graham,

As far as the tool path not showing in the other window, it may be a video card or driver issue.  We only use 1 vertex buffer to display ALL tool paths.  If it not displaying in all tool paths, it is probably something to to with your video card's OpenGL implementation.

Let me know your machine specs.  video card manufacturer, memory, OS, etc...

Blanks lines and single block:  Right now, each line is a line regardless of if it contains G code or otherwise.  I will try and see if I can make it loop through the blank lines.

Also, when asking about a previous post, if you would quote it that would be awesome.  It will help make sure I'm actually answering the right question.

Steve
« Reply #174 on: July 01, 2014, 04:41:44 AM »
Morning Steve
Is this what you want?
Mach4 only displays toolpath in the  program run window, none of the others.
Graham

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 01, 2014, 09:32:28 PM »
Graham,

It looks like you are suffering from shared memory video card syndrome.  :(  Do this for me...  open task manager and see what your computer uses, memory wise, while idling.  No programs loaded.  And let me know what it is.  

Here is what I think is happening:  You have a 64 bit OS that is attempting to run on 3 Gig of memory.  If it idles at 2 Gig (not uncommon) that leaves only less than a Gig of memory to run a program AND process video.  It may simply not have enough memory to do the job.  So something gets culled.  

It could also be a driver issue as well.  Check and see if there is an updated video driver from Intel.

Shared memory video cards are always a compromise.  But that is what they seem to be putting in computers these days.  I bet if you look at your Windows Experience Index that the video is what is keeping you at a 3.3 WEI.

Steve

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #176 on: July 01, 2014, 10:05:04 PM »
Shared memory video cards are always a compromise.  But that is what they seem to be putting in computers these days

Most modern consumer PC's use the Intel graphics in the CPU. There is no video card.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 02, 2014, 12:21:57 AM »
I should say graphic device.  The stuff I'm talking about is the "on-board" integrated GPU that has to use the CPU to move video data and use system RAM as video memory.  In stark contrast to a GPU with dedicated DRAM2/3/4 memory for video, on-board or otherwise.  A lot of the newer PCs are built to a price point.  Also, some integrated Ethernet devices are all bunk too.  They will stream data down to the PC fine but they have very little, if any, ability to stream data from the PC.  What you get is a PC that will surf the web really well but suffers doing other tasks.  Which is fine for most people's computer needs these days. 

I was working with a guy today on a similar issue.  Same Intel GMA4500 integrated GPU with a really nice I3 processor.  A "modern" computer as compared to my old clunker.  He could load a fairly large Gcode file and run well with it.  But then he loaded a Solid Cam high speed tool path that consisted of 38,000 lines and the CPU went from 2-3% to 25% and the user interface got clunky.  Why?  Because the CPU was having to shuffle data in the system RAM to the video card because the tool path got larger than it's 128 MB dedicated memory buffer.  Now, contrast that to my 7 year old PC with ATI video cards with real dedicated memory where I loaded a 138,211 line G code file and ran like butter with 1-2% CPU load.  His computer's got 5 time the CPU power I do but it performed much worse!

So be wary of the computers you purchase if you intend to do anything other than web surfing, word processing, and email.  Computers are a lot like cars.  And these new ones have fire breathing CPUs (engines) in them for sure.  But if the rest of the components don't match up (bad exhaust or intake), then there will be a bottle neck.

Steve

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 02, 2014, 01:59:50 AM »
Hi Steve,

I’m not whining or decrying anything but surely most of us home users will have the average ‘modern’ computer.

If Mach4 has been designed (intentionally or otherwise) only to run ‘properly’ on a defined specification computer this gives me great cause for concern.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #179 on: July 02, 2014, 05:38:35 AM »
Hi All
I agree with Tweakie totally.
If I get Mach4 will I then have to get a new computer/graphics card.
I run my machine on a very old XP computer but it has got an added graphics card.
I have checked and have the latest drivers on the computor running Mach4.
Attached is my task manager at idle.

Graham