Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:28:25 PM

Author Topic: Cylinder Heads  (Read 183359 times)

Re: Cylinder Heads
« Reply #210 on: April 30, 2011, 10:23:15 PM »
those who can do do, those who can't teach

you are the master , craftsman
« Reply #211 on: May 11, 2011, 01:28:59 PM »
Here is prototype #1.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 11, 2011, 01:34:49 PM »
That is brilliant Steve just brilliant.

One question I have concerning your cast iron piston rings - The bore and OD were turned, they were parted off then they were placed on a mandrel and heat treated but how did you make the split in the rings (O into a C) please ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #213 on: May 11, 2011, 02:15:27 PM »
That is brilliant Steve just brilliant.

One question I have concerning your cast iron piston rings - The bore and OD were turned, they were parted off then they were placed on a mandrel and heat treated but how did you make the split in the rings (O into a C) please ?

Tweakie.

Wire cutters. They dont cut the cast they crack it. Get lined up real square and squeeze to crack them. At the size I made them, it's real easy.
« Reply #214 on: May 11, 2011, 03:23:51 PM »
"it's real easy.' ^$$@*%^#*#$^%*@#(*(%%^&@ FOR U MAYBE :)

THANK YOU AGAIN
« Reply #215 on: May 11, 2011, 03:37:58 PM »
"Wire cutters."
Nifty ! Never thought of that.
The only ones I made were a bit bigger, 1.6" or so.
The instructions I had said to gently force them over a slightly tapered mandrel until they crack.
Worked pretty good. I was surprised ....  as usual. lol
Nice work Steve,
Russ
« Reply #216 on: May 11, 2011, 04:24:56 PM »
George Trimble also included a design for a ring cutter in his SIC article. It had opposing cutting tool blades ground like Steves wire cutters. The critical point is that the break is perpendicular, so that when the ring is mounted in the heat treat fixture the annealed diameter is not changed.
If you think you can't do it, you're right.
« Reply #217 on: May 11, 2011, 10:59:33 PM »
George Trimble also included a design for a ring cutter in his SIC article. It had opposing cutting tool blades ground like Steves wire cutters. The critical point is that the break is perpendicular, so that when the ring is mounted in the heat treat fixture the annealed diameter is not changed.

Rhemus told me that there is a better method that makes better rings than trimble's method. It will be in MEB shortly.
« Reply #218 on: May 24, 2011, 09:14:51 PM »
Well it has been an exhausting week. I had some trouble with the CNC mill. The Z axis would work fine for hours and all of a sudden it would skip steps. I think I narrowed it down to the drive. I rebuilt the control panel to include 3 Gecko drives and new 570oz motors. The machine now moves around so fast it's scary.

Now I should be able to get back to building engines!!!
« Reply #219 on: May 26, 2011, 07:17:35 PM »
Scratch camshaft off the list.

And the shaft is completed other than a few lobes that need just a bit more filing.