Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 11:41:16 AM

Author Topic: Cylinder Heads  (Read 186556 times)

Re: Cylinder Heads
« Reply #130 on: November 30, 2010, 04:40:58 PM »
Steve,
I guess your starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Looking good....
RICH

Light? Where?

I figure when the heads are done, I will be half done. Then I need to tackle the short block/rotating assy.
« Reply #131 on: November 30, 2010, 06:07:51 PM »
Lookin' real good Steve, anxious to see one running !
Are you going to anodize any of the parts ?
Here is a Comp product.
Fine job, need to see you at York !
Russ
 :)
« Reply #132 on: November 30, 2010, 06:30:04 PM »
I've never came across one, with the offset, Not to say they don't make one. Though they do use a lot of pressed-in inserts that are offset.

Yep, Overloaded that looks close to the ones I programmed (though they look like the ole style). Hard to tell, they do make a lot of them, I programmed about 26 variations, (So far) parametric program, same basic shapes just a variation each. Small block, Big block Chevy/Ford/Racing of each style.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 06:44:19 PM by Ya-Nvr-No »
« Reply #133 on: November 30, 2010, 06:59:54 PM »
I'd post the program but it is all done in macro B with a rotating turn around station I created. Cycle time under 2.5 minutes each, complete. Uses a gantry robot and 14 station pallet loader. It looks like they sell so well I need to create a new center.  

Some Fanuc ladder (Fapladder) additions to integrate the SMC hardware
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 07:03:10 PM by Ya-Nvr-No »
« Reply #134 on: November 30, 2010, 07:26:03 PM »
Lookin' real good Steve, anxious to see one running !
Are you going to anodize any of the parts ?
Here is a Comp product.
Fine job, need to see you at York !
Russ
 :)

no anodize.  cabin fever?  I hope to go someday. I do attend NAMES and Zanesville.

« Reply #135 on: December 01, 2010, 08:08:50 PM »
Hello All!

Decided to do something easy tonight. I made the rollers for the rockers and the pins to pin the rollers. The rollers were a case of drilling the center and then parting them off a piece of 1/8 inch droll rod. The pins were just parted off a piece of 1/16 drill rod.

« Reply #136 on: December 05, 2010, 06:17:58 PM »
Hello All!

Made some progress in the way of the rocker pivots. They were a little trickier than i thought they would be. These things are only .156 round and .250 long. Made all the barrels first. Just used .156 drill rod and parted off the pieces and used a file to break the corners.

I was able to set the barrel down on a parallel. I had one that is just smaller than the height of the vise jaw.

I started using a center drill to spot the hole but the drill kept wandering anyway. I did'nt know this but found that if i used the center drill to drill as deep as it took to make a starter hole that was just smaller than the drill, It would follow the spotted area and worked much better.

Then Just a drill bit to get the hole in it.

I don't have the nuts done yet but I could not resist putting 8 rockers together just to see what it looks like. Of course the valves would need to be put in also. Everything looks ok so far. I have also used some JB weld to patch up the water jacket fiasco and hope to complete the heads by the end of next week?

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #137 on: December 05, 2010, 11:42:31 PM »
It's looks awesome. Definitely a bucket list project.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline rcaffin

•  1,054 1,054
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 06, 2010, 12:30:32 AM »
Made some progress in the way of the rocker pivots. They were a little trickier than i thought they would be. These things are only .156 round and .250 long. Made all the barrels first. Just used .156 drill rod and parted off the pieces and used a file to break the corners.

Forgive me, but I worry slightly about the strength of the rockers. There's a fairly solid bit of metal above the pivot, but it does nothing. The load is all on the thin strip of aluminium under the rocker, and having some experience of aluminium I worry that this thin strip may stretch a little and possibly even break after a period of engine operation.

I may be wrong of course, but I wonder whether any calculations have been done on the expected strength of the strip?

Cheers
« Reply #139 on: December 06, 2010, 11:05:48 AM »
Would not hurt to put a small oil hole in the center of the rocker arm, from the roller side to the rocker pin hole. Include a small chamfer on the both sides to let oil collect and get distributed. Might even add one for the cup. There are more forces there than you might imagine. Then again, I can't imagine you running it for hours. Damn thing is cute.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 11:07:52 AM by Ya-Nvr-No »