Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 12:34:52 AM

Author Topic: Cylinder Heads  (Read 185507 times)

Re: Cylinder Heads
« Reply #190 on: March 29, 2011, 04:45:17 PM »
Steve, nice work, as a fellow engine builder, but newbie CNC I have enjoyed following your progress. Some of the club members with blown engines are achieving 4 to 6 lbs of boost. You had mentioned making a pattern for the blower, but since it lends itself to simple draft it might as well be done CNC.

This is not meant to Hijack the thread, but for those interested:
Clem will be at the GoodGuys Nationals in Pleasanton in August with the Deltec, Lou Chenot will show his 1/6th Duesenburg and I will show my V8. The word is that Jim Moyer will also show his 1/6th scale chevy.
If you think you can't do it, you're right.
« Reply #191 on: March 29, 2011, 05:05:27 PM »
Steve, nice work, as a fellow engine builder, but newbie CNC I have enjoyed following your progress. Some of the club members with blown engines are achieving 4 to 6 lbs of boost. You had mentioned making a pattern for the blower, but since it lends itself to simple draft it might as well be done CNC.

This is not meant to Hijack the thread, but for those interested:
Clem will be at the GoodGuys Nationals in Pleasanton in August with the Deltec, Lou Chenot will show his 1/6th Duesenburg and I will show my V8. The word is that Jim Moyer will also show his 1/6th scale chevy.

If that is a photo of your engine in your avitar, that would make you Eugene. If this is you, you would never remember me but we met at NAMES 2007. I was just getting into the hobby and starting to build simple wobblers and air engines. Are you A BAEM'er?  I have talked to Rhemus many times about the blower and he gave me 2 or 3 email addresses of guy's in your group. Never recieved a response from any of them. I guess they must have thought I was just another crack pot with big dreams. I have huge respect for that group and Rhemus and Mr. Moyer personally. Both real gentelmen and top notch craftsmanship from that entire group.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #192 on: March 29, 2011, 05:30:24 PM »
Steve, will you be showing off this masterpiece at NAMES?
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #193 on: March 29, 2011, 07:28:21 PM »
Steve, will you be showing off this masterpiece at NAMES?

Yes I will be there. I will be with my metal club. Not sure where we will be yet. I heard we will be out on the main isle.
« Reply #194 on: March 29, 2011, 07:28:41 PM »
I made some more stuff today. I made the balancer/fan belt pulley. I would have liked to make it look more real but I had to fit the clutch bearing in the piece.

Then I made a special one. The only difference is the nose is turned down to a much smaller diameter and the hole pattern is drilled into the piece to hold the crank pulley on.

Then I made the fan belt pulleys. They also recieve the fan and I will make the fancy cover like all the hot rod guy's have. The long one gets the fan out in front of the blower belt.

« Reply #195 on: March 30, 2011, 05:25:18 PM »
Yes Steve, I'm a long time BAEM member.
At one time I thought Coles sold castings  of an OHV head and a blower for the Challenger. I loaned one of my V8 heads to a builder in Southern California and he machined two from the solid to convert the challenger to OHV. Since that called for a new intake manifold, it was easier to make a blower plenum, and then top it off with a the real thing. These same builders changed to a 360 deg crank instead of the 180 supplied with the kit.
The Black Widow which is a kit some of the members are putting together has a cast blower, but it is roughly 1/3 scale.
You're well beyond needing help with the housing, but IIRC they cored the castings for the rotors to keep them light.

Eugene
« Reply #196 on: March 30, 2011, 07:24:32 PM »
These same builders changed to a 360 deg crank instead of the 180 supplied with the kit.
The Black Widow which is a kit some of the members are putting together has a cast blower, but it is roughly 1/3 scale.

I also have a 360 degree crank. I used the Chevy design and firing order tho i might do a 4-7 swap.

1/3 scale is huge. I am at about 1/5. It is all my current equipment will allow. Here is a picture with a pop can for scale.

Are you currently working on something else? Mr. Moyer told me he has started a 409 Chevy but I have not seen any photo's yet.

« Reply #197 on: March 30, 2011, 09:25:44 PM »
I just finished building a Helicycle, certified it airworthy in November, and flew it for the first time on 1-28. that has been a 3 year project.

As far as models, I probably had the 1/3 scale "F" head Harley Davidson at the 2007 NAMES show and while the crankcase is cast, I need to machine wax to invest in order to cast the cylinders. That is what brought me into the CNC arena. I made wood patterns and silicon molds to inject the wax into, but the fins are so deep and thin that it tore the silicon and ruined the mold.

I'll start a thread with a description so it doesn't clutter up yours ;D.

Eugene
« Reply #198 on: April 07, 2011, 07:21:45 PM »
I don't know why I do this but I "cant not" do it. After making rod bearings and wrist pins I lay out the parts to be used and weigh them in grams.

Then I put the light pistons with the heavy rods and weigh everything again.

Then I put the heavy pins with the light sets and re weigh.

Now I know I'm as close as I can get to balanced. I am real happy with that.

Then came time to press the sets together. The pins slip into the pistons and press into the rods.

I put the assembly into the lathe and oiled it up real good. Let it run until everything was turning real nice. Took about 10 minutes.

« Reply #199 on: April 08, 2011, 01:02:00 AM »
Steve, with your bore and stroke, 15000 rpm is not out of the question, so good dynamic balance will give a tabletop runner that sits still at high rpm and revs quickly.
The formula to determine the bob weights for the balance of a 90 degree V engine with big ends matched in weight and piston wrist pin and small end matched is 100% of the rotating mass plus 50% of the reciprocating mass per journal. I cast the bob weights in lead and then built a balancer to spin the crank. As it turned out the lightening holes were a scale match of the full size.
I realize you are past that point now, but I understand your "can't not" comment. Been there, did it. Looking Good.
Eugene