Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:50:32 AM

Author Topic: Cylinder Heads  (Read 183340 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Cylinder Heads
« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2010, 05:54:06 AM »
Steve,
Really enjoy following this thread. Thanks for sharing and continue posting. 
Nice work.....

RICH
« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2010, 09:46:53 AM »
i agree.very enjoy for this thread.
Race ...
good luck.

Amir
**Even a clock that does not work is right twice a day**
« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
Hello all!

Had the chance to start on a 4 piece crankshaft. The plan is to make 4 pieces that lock together with a square end and socket. The square will allow me to index the crank arms in 90 degree increments. The design will also allow all the main bearings to be ball bearings.

The 2 center sections and the rear section all have one of the ends the same. So i spent the day turning the same end on 9 pieces. I made enough pieces for 3 shafts hoping for enough to make 2 when i'm done. The tip of this end will be milled square.

The front piece is different so I turned the front shaft. All 3 have a real tight slip fit. I'm real happy with the fit of the bearing.

Then the front pieces were rotated around and chucked into a collet. The rear of the piece was then finished. The rear of this piece will have a square milled into it to accept the piece behind it.

This should all become a little clearer as the pieces progress.

« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2010, 03:07:31 PM »
Hello All!

Made a bit more progress today. Chucked up the rear pieces and started to finish them up. I used my "bat wings" (brass inserts) on the jaws so i wouldn't damage the finish. Indicated to less than .001

I turned the shaft down to about .010 over size and then got the tail shaft ready for threads.

Ran the threads on.

Finished the shaft to .0005 - .001 oversize and then i like to bring the shaft to size using some 320 sand paper. This way I can work the taper out if there is any and i can usually hit my number within a few tenths.

Then I put the taper on last.

Thats about all until I get my hands on a 5/16 collet.

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2010, 03:41:11 PM »
Very slick, Steve, thank you-

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2010, 07:41:50 PM »
You do realize that you've now put the "build an engine" on some of our "to-do" list, don't you? I don't know if I should thank you or be disgruntled, because my list isn't getting any shorter. :) Thanks for sharing your build with us.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2010, 08:27:29 PM »
You do realize that you've now put the "build an engine" on some of our "to-do" list, don't you? I don't know if I should thank you or be disgruntled, because my list isn't getting any shorter. :) Thanks for sharing your build with us.

Sorry about that!  After the first one ran, I just cant stop.
« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2010, 08:49:20 PM »
it's addicting just watching  :o

thanks
« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2010, 08:20:01 PM »
Finally made some progress with the crankshaft. Over the last day or two I managed to make the fixture to hold the pieces for turning. It's an ugly bugger but I did make a test piece and it works very well.

The first thing I did was to mill the square ends on the pieces that require them.

The pieces are then put into the fixture and the turning begins.

One down and eleven to go!!!

Cheers!

« Reply #109 on: October 25, 2010, 07:29:23 PM »
Cross valve cages off the list. HOLY CRAP!! there are alot of them!!