Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 05:48:27 AM

Author Topic: NFS Turn Wizard  (Read 285838 times)

Re: NFS Turn Wizard
« Reply #150 on: October 03, 2013, 04:12:33 PM »
Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this?  I need to make a couple V-belt pulleys (sheaves if you prefer), one with a 60 degree groove, the other 62 degree.  Does the NFS Turn Wizard package have something to handle that?  I'd rather not grind a form tool for each or hand code it and would like to use a DCMT insert (55 deg) and peck/nibble away at it similar to the OD Groove wizard's process.

Also interested in an ID Parabola wizard (for model engine venturis).

Thanks in advance for any input.
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 03, 2013, 04:30:10 PM »
Why not use Dolphin, should be easy enough in that ;)
Hood
« Reply #152 on: October 03, 2013, 04:53:56 PM »
Why not use Dolphin, should be easy enough in that ;)
Hood
You're very right Robin...it should be easy enough but it was a few months ago that I last worked with Dolphin.  Apparently everything I learned has turned to a mushy slime & has oozed out of my ears since then.  It's downright frustrating this getting old thing.

Besides, m'Dolphin mentor's done switched over to BoobCat or sumthin'. ::)

(Thanks for the prod...I should get some time this weekend to give it another try.  1st try was a no-go)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 03, 2013, 05:07:24 PM »
LOL I reckon I will still remember how to use Dolphin, so if you need a helping hand just email me and I will try.
I wont be able to help much with your stone age  units as my brain doesnt work that way, well except when I am talking Fathoms and not a Fisherman any more, so thats not often ;D

Hood
« Reply #154 on: October 03, 2013, 10:12:52 PM »
Thanks!  I'm sure I'll have questions and yes, I'm still using ye olde inch measurements.  However, I am proud to report that I have officially switched over to diameter mode! ;D
« Reply #155 on: October 03, 2013, 10:19:26 PM »
I think the wizard might work. It does allow tapers, and can start and end either at the large or mall diameter. it would take a few experiments to see. Ill try it when I  get a chance

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 03, 2013, 11:18:54 PM »
Try Lazyturn as that provides for a 55 deg tool.

RICH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 04, 2013, 03:18:15 AM »
Milton, I tried with Dolphin last night, took me about 5 mins to do my drawing and save as a DXF, open in Dolphin CAD, choose my shape, import to CAM and pick toolpath and do a rough and finish. It is quite easy once you get into the way of it :)

Hood
« Reply #158 on: October 04, 2013, 09:34:06 AM »
It is quite easy once you get into the way of it :)
Sure, when you're Hood.;)  I had the .dxf imported and was working on the paths but screwed up somehow and got frustrated.  It'll get there when I have time to work with it more than a few minutes at a time.

Turns out I actually have a day off from my real job today so I'm going to give it a shot later if I ever get past the mountain of honey-do's that's in front of me.

ps:  Ron, Thanks for your input and I apologize for the thread jack with the Dolphin talk.  I am a little surprised nobody's asked for a V-groove wiz though...I must be the only cheapskate that wants to make his own pulleys instead of just buying them.;)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 04, 2013, 08:04:18 PM »
A sheave(pulley) Wizard would not be hard to do. Nor would a programable sub.

Just a thought, (;-) TP