Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 10:49:29 PM

Author Topic: NFS Turn Wizard  (Read 285804 times)

Re: NFS Turn Wizard
« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2013, 04:42:04 PM »
Just bought a licence as I thought the wizards would be useful for my mill and lathe.

Started with turn programming up some pins I need to make. They consist of a few parallel steps and then a tapered countersunk head. When I started working on the taper I noticed something strange -

When I programme the taper from Z0 to Z-1 the toolpath shows the taper as expected. However when I programme a taper from z-1 to z-2 I get a strange result in the toolpath window - the taper seems to be inverted - see the attached screenshots.

Is this a bug in the wizards? Haven't tried running the lathe as it's too cold to go into the garage!

Cheers

Dave
« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2013, 05:53:06 PM »
Ok, I see the problem, I will work on it.

I am a bit unsure how to handle it however. If I start all the cuts at Z=0, and you previously made the small cylinder then I will be re-cutting. But if I just  start at Zstart, -1, then Im going to crash into the stock between Z0 and Z-1.

Thats a problem when each operation is independent.
« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2013, 03:14:49 PM »
Ron

Thanks for having a look at this.

If I was machining this job I would programme the machine to turn the parallel section first (From z0 to Z-1) then move onto the tapered section from (Z-1 to Z-2) - it is upto the user to ensure they programme the parallel section first.

I haven't tried using the taper turn wizard so I'm not sure if yours will do this, but I do have a problem with the standard Mach turning wizards when cutting a taper. Clearance is added to the start of each move in the X and Z, this is fine when machining a standalone itme but if machining a taper attached to a parallel section then the clearance results in an undercut that cuts down into the parallel section.

Cheers

Dave
« Reply #123 on: January 05, 2013, 07:00:22 PM »
Ok, I have fixed this problem. If Zstart is other than Zero the wizard will generate code that is correct, but assumes you have already removed the material from Z zero to Zstart.

As always, the new version is a zip file attached to the first entry in this topic.
« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2013, 03:07:42 PM »
Thanks for looking at this Ron. Just tried a test file and noticed one small issue. When taper turning, it would appear the infeed has the G0 and G1 the wrong way around - see attached screenshot.

Cheers

Dave
« Reply #125 on: April 01, 2013, 05:23:27 PM »
Hi Ron,
I am new to CNC and have not long downloaded mach3 and the NFS wizards and licence, I really like the wizards as it makes creating G-code simple and easy for most jobs.
I down loaded the new turn wizard and as I am in Australia I work mainly in metric units. I would like to know if there is a way to add another DRO to include the pitch of
a thread so that I can select either imperial or metric threads, at present I can not get the system to cut a metric thread as it comes back with an error message on whatever
line I try to implement the threading G-code on.
Looking forward to your reply.
Allan
« Reply #126 on: April 01, 2013, 07:36:56 PM »
Well, this is a bit embarrassing.  I thought it was set up so that a metric user just entered the pitch in the line labeled TPI and the code handled it, but now looking at the code I think it does not.

Can one of the metric users come in here and tell me if it does handle metric threads correctly? I cannot believe in over a year of this being out no one has complained about this before.
« Reply #127 on: April 02, 2013, 04:38:51 PM »
Hi Ron,

Can one of the metric users come in here and tell me if it does handle metric threads correctly?

Yes and no  ;D

When you type in the correct TPI ( we should call it TPMM in this case ) then you will be fine.
The problem is in metric we don't use TPI ( TPMM ) , we use TPT ( Thread per Turn )
Or in other words the imperialist says e.g. 20 turn per unit  and the metric says e.g. 1.5 units per turn.

If Alan want to code a thread then he have to calculate it for now . Example: Thread M20 x 2.5 =

1/2.5 = 0,4 TPI ( TPMM )

Hope that helps.  ;D

Alex

« Reply #128 on: April 02, 2013, 07:59:24 PM »
Thanks Alex, I can now load the thread cut part into the file without any errors coming up, but I think I was expecting the wizard to do certain tasks automatically. I thought that when you picked thread cutting from the menu it would load the G95 code to tell the machine to feed at units per revolution and override what was in the feed DRo for that tool. I also can't get the feed dro to read my feed, it sits there at units 0.0000 all the time and was't sure if this was causing an error. The other point I found was that the tool has to be selected manually at the top left side of the screen on each tool change or it will stay at tool 1 right through to end of code, again I assumed that when the code asked for tool 2 it would change to tool 2 offsets, all my mistakes as I am still learning. Thanks again for your help
Regards Allan
« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2013, 09:04:34 AM »
I could add a DRO for a pitch input and make the logic look for either TPI or Pitch, whichever was non-zero, and give an error message if both had non-zero values. I would have to put pitch as the last param in the threads.txt file.

I will try to do this in the next day or two.

I dont think a G95 is needed before a thread operation, the G76 thread cycle does the correct move.

I dont understand your issues on the tool change. I think it works correctly.