Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 04:58:42 AM

Author Topic: NFS Turn Wizard  (Read 285837 times)

Re: NFS Turn Wizard
« Reply #160 on: October 04, 2013, 08:27:52 PM »
A sheave(pulley) Wizard would not be hard to do.
Sure, when you're BR549.:D

Seriously though, a pulley Wizard would be very useful.  I needed to get back into Dolphin anyway but man, I'm so spoiled by ya'll's Wizards Dolphin makes my brain hurt.
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 04, 2013, 08:56:04 PM »
I'm so spoiled by ya'll's Wizards Dolphin makes my brain hurt.
No gain if you feel no pain. ???

RICH
« Reply #162 on: October 04, 2013, 10:02:21 PM »
What tool would you use for a wizard? Just a common cut-off tool? Use it in several passes of straight in plunge, then a final pass down the side, across the bottom and back out the other side? Or better to make both sides taper cuts into the center?

Maybe it could be a special case of a general slot operation?

I am just getting back to working on my lathe after a couple years, maybe that will get my but back in gear to do some more on the turn wizard.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 10:04:12 PM by Ron Ginger »
« Reply #163 on: October 05, 2013, 09:13:31 AM »
Good question Ron.  Your proposed path would work great for most folks' needs for regular sized sheaves.  I usually work with small belt grooves that require sharp pointed tools & a parting tool wouldn't work.

The one I'm working with now is a Gates Poly-V which has a 62 deg angle on the big one & 60 deg on the small one.  So I'm using a DCMT (55 deg) insert.  The other one is a Gates Micro-V which has a 40 deg angle & I would use a 35 deg insert (I forget the insert spec).

The quandary I'm in now is that I'm trying to make a large (relative to my little 8" lathes) sheave in cast iron which requires mucho torque & very slow spindle speed.  Anybody wanna guess what I'm making?  A slow-speed, hi-torque reduction pulley system for my lathe!  'Ol Joe Heller is smiling in his grave 'cuz Catch 22 applies here for sure. ;D

When I finally got through the I'm-too-ignant-to-use-Dolphin barrier about 11:00 PM last night, the spindle stalled at the low speeds necessary to make the cuts, even with what I thought were shallow cuts & slow feeds.

So, I've got to either rig up a temporary spindle drive, (maybe using my big 1/2" drill but it's still too fast) reduce the D.O.C & feed even more & drink coffee while it runs for 30 or 45 minutes or just go to the manual lathe & hand-crank it with a 60 deg insert plunged straight in & not worry about the 62 deg thing.  Probably the latter. I've spent way too much time with the silly thing::)
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.
« Reply #164 on: March 02, 2014, 08:55:16 PM »
This may be a stupid question, but I read through the posts on the wizards and saw posts discussing metric and US threading.  I only see US threading when I click on the thread table.  How do I see the metric thread table?  Do I have to be set for metric turning, or can you cut metric threads if Mach3 is set up for US units.

TeaMan
« Reply #165 on: March 02, 2014, 10:15:45 PM »
The included thread table is just a short sample. You are expected to edit the table- a simple text file- to contain the threads you use. Both metric and english should work. There is a help file with details.
« Reply #166 on: March 10, 2014, 11:10:35 AM »
Hi
Where Can I get the latest version of the Turn Wizard?

Thanks
Adam
« Reply #167 on: March 10, 2014, 01:07:42 PM »
The first reply to this topic holds the latest version s a .zip file

I have not made any changes in some time, but I nearly have my lathe running again after tearing it apart to add an Ethernet smoothstepper. I have a number of ideas for improvement that I hope to work on soon. I am also looking at converting this to a mach4 lua wizard, which is why I need the ESS.
« Reply #168 on: March 10, 2014, 08:26:29 PM »
Thank you

Let me know if I can help In any way
Adam
« Reply #169 on: April 10, 2014, 06:26:50 AM »
I have been having problems getting the NF threading wizard to work. I have tried most things mentioned in these threads with no luck.
In the end I edited the G76 macro and all I did was change the "test = false" to "test =true" and everything worked like a dream.
That's all I did.
Before that I tried changing the amount of time the index signal was on and all the other things suggested here in others posts.
When I figured it must have been in the macro was when the lathe did the same faults wether the index was set in the spindle configuration or not.
Hope this helps someone.