Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:56:01 AM

Author Topic: Physical buttons for plasma  (Read 155158 times)

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
Re: Physical buttons for plasma
« Reply #320 on: April 28, 2016, 03:39:00 AM »
Ah OK. Your dust/smoke extraction is going to have to be REALLY good then. Don't risk breathing ANY of that sh1t - it's REALLY bad for your health.

Ian

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 28, 2016, 02:37:00 PM »
Yes, health is definitely a thing to look after, never think about these things when you are younger :D

I have been doing lots of searching and reading about Downdraught versus Watertable and there are so many conflicting opinions I am just not sure which way to go, some say water is better for fumes, others say downdraught. Most  say cut quality is better with downdraught though.

Anyone who has downdraught have pics of their setup?

Sure someone posted a link to the extractor fan they used, possibly Dave, will have to trawl through the thread and see if I can find it.

Hood
« Reply #322 on: April 28, 2016, 02:38:53 PM »
Yeah it was Dave to an eBay link
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
« Reply #323 on: April 28, 2016, 02:41:01 PM »
You get a better edge with a water table plus stainless... And that improves with nitrogen (no black edges apparently)

Just what I've read... Sure someone will add some experience
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 28, 2016, 02:53:38 PM »
Thanks Rob, yes just found it.

Regarding stainless, I think maybe the better edge is with submerged plasma but  maybe not.

Going to have to decide what to do soon as I am getting near to completion of the axes etc, not keen on fan noise but if it is the best way then I will just have to put up with it.

Hood
« Reply #325 on: April 28, 2016, 02:59:16 PM »
Don't forget freezing water table in the winter.... Christmas break... Unheated container.

Yes has to be submerged as it reduces the oxidisation.

Can you not try the downdraft... Then adapt later?

If you are doing loads of cutting day in day out, or lost of SS or thin metal then yup, otherwise try the downdraft... Place fan in insulated box outside...with long hose?

Rob
Rob

« Reply #326 on: April 28, 2016, 03:00:23 PM »
Hood, I've taken the plunge on one of those po-mo minithcs from Denis, and I had a good discussion with him about the caxis protocol.

Long and the short he has expanded the c-axis protocol which has reduced the amount of data required to send the TH voltage setpoint to the controller.

I have been playing around with a sheet cam post processor and sort of cut pasted, and created my own for the po-mo minithc which allows you to store the voltage setpoint with the tool, and send it to the controller under tool change.

I also now have a pmx 45, and noticed an error in the manual regarding feedrate in the conversion from in/min to mm/min but this has allowed me to create few feedrate equations that match the pmx manual settings.  All you do is tell it the material, thickness and ampage (30/45) and it will work out the feedrate directly in sheetcam... Must admit not finished the function on this one in the post processor.... And it's only for the pmx45.

Rob
Rob

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 28, 2016, 03:02:31 PM »
The fan is just a bit of the noise - add in the compressor, the plasma sound itself and you have a lot going on. But at the end of the day it's a machine so I just ignore it ;)

I do have the extract controlled by the system though - comes on just as the height sensing starts and goes off 5 seconds after the last cut stops, i have a delay timer that keeps it on during rapids etc.
« Reply #328 on: April 28, 2016, 03:04:40 PM »
Don't need a delay timer, just issue an m09 code to the sheetcam function finish().... Done
Rob

« Reply #329 on: April 28, 2016, 03:10:19 PM »
... Presuming that is you turn the fan on with an m07 or m08....

Under the onpendown() function
Rob