Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 11:28:21 PM

Author Topic: Physical buttons for plasma  (Read 154308 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Physical buttons for plasma
« Reply #400 on: November 21, 2016, 08:12:14 AM »
It is the machine torch, will have to strip it out of the machine and see if I can find the problem.
Here it is  cutting 1/4 Alu
https://youtu.be/LuIPbX9_qI0

Here it is cutting 12mm steel
https://youtu.be/JsbPASWhYoM

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 21, 2016, 08:17:41 AM »
Couple of pics of the steel.
Topside and underneath.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 21, 2016, 08:37:58 AM »
Those cuts look ok, so the hand torch works and the machine torch sucks?

Maybe a short inside or blocked air passages maybe.

I'm still running the hand torch as the machine one was a fair bit more cash.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 21, 2016, 11:11:41 AM »
Yes, very happy with the cuts, much better than I had hoped for especially after the initial headaches :D

Yes I have cut a load more tests this afternoon and all perfect. 3mm, 4mm and 1/4 Alu, 2mm, 3mm, 5mm and 8mm stainless and 10 and 12mm steel.

I bought the machine torch because it would allow me to use the plasma manually on boats or things that wouldn't fir on the plasma with the hand torch and leave the machine torch on the table itself, as you say they are not cheap, £300 plus if I recall.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 21, 2016, 12:28:52 PM »
Yes, very happy with the cuts, much better than I had hoped for especially after the initial headaches :D

Yes I have cut a load more tests this afternoon and all perfect. 3mm, 4mm and 1/4 Alu, 2mm, 3mm, 5mm and 8mm stainless and 10 and 12mm steel.

I bought the machine torch because it would allow me to use the plasma manually on boats or things that wouldn't fir on the plasma with the hand torch and leave the machine torch on the table itself, as you say they are not cheap, £300 plus if I recall.

Yep, the Hypertherm CNC torch was about £500 I recall, It takes seconds to pull my hand torch off the table as the cable is suspended overhead not in the energy chain.

Glad its just the torch - must be a reason, hopefully something simple and fixable, is it returnable?

When it works it's a blast int it :) It opened up a whole world of possibilities for me.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: November 21, 2016, 01:24:51 PM »
It will depend on where the problem lies as to whether I can return it or not, if it is from the torch to the extension I joined in then I should be able to return, I never altered any connections as such apart from snipping off the ring terminals and crimping them to the new wires, the main lead/ air hose and connection I didn't touch. I was going to but decided against it and just used a male/male fitting to join them together.
 If the problem lies in my extension then obviously I can't send it back as it will be my fault.

I will strip it off the machine and connect the central adapter plug direct to the original connections and see how it behaves, if it is ok then I may see if I can suspend overhead in some way, do you have any pics of how you did it?

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 21, 2016, 01:50:52 PM »
I will strip it off the machine and connect the central adapter plug direct to the original connections and see how it behaves, if it is ok then I may see if I can suspend overhead in some way, do you have any pics of how you did it?

Nah, too crude for pics - it just loops up from the torch to a bungee cord loop hanging from the roof truss, then back to the rear wall, down and into the plasma under the table. :)
« Reply #407 on: November 21, 2016, 11:08:48 PM »
Is this the machine torch you have?
https://www.amazon.com/Autocut-PA2211-Plasma-Cutting-Trafimet/dp/B01I247GWK#

Which hand torch do you have?

Did you extend the machine torch lead, if so, by how much?

I suspect that if you rejointed the lead the pilot (high voltage) may be tracking.... How did you insulate each core from each other once you remade them off?

Note some of the hand torches are blowback start, not sure about the machine torches though...
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 22, 2016, 03:21:14 AM »
Yes that is the torch, Trafimet S65P, the hand torch I have is the hand version of it, the Ergocut  S65.
I extended the machine torch by 4 or 5m.
The power wire was done in a similar fashion to the original, wire crimped to the 1/4BSP hosetail and then it was insulated with self amalgamating tape.
Torch switch and pilot arc wires were joined with crimp tube connectors and insulated with glue lined heatshrink and then the whole lot was wrapped in self amalgamating tape.

Both torches are the same method of starting, Pilot Arc, don't know anything about blowback start so can't say whether they are or not but as said both the same, even share the same consumables.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 22, 2016, 03:44:14 AM »
If you extended the lead and air pipe you will probably need more air pressure to allow for the added loss in the longer hose.