Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 11:46:59 PM

Author Topic: Physical buttons for plasma  (Read 154314 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Physical buttons for plasma
« on: January 03, 2016, 06:00:20 PM »
I am about to build a plasma table, having never used a plasma before I was wondering what buttons I should have on my panel.

I will have Start, Stop, Feedhold and reference(Home) buttons and feed override pots  and axis select for MPG.
What other buttons would a plasma want?
Thinking one for finding the material surface, not sure if that is normal though?
Anything else?

Hood

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Physical buttons for plasma
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 10:30:45 PM »
HI Hood, Yes a TOM button , a THC on/off button, Zero all button , and it depends on what you setup for teh functions for Plasma. It can run from a simple cutter or a complex cutter with many plasma functions and adjustments both to teh software and hardware.

An example of a handy set of buttons would be run extents , a routine to dry run teh outside contour to verify the part fits the material. Then there is offset right and offset up, routines to offset the part to the right side extents so that you can cut a second part quickly and the OffsetUP which does the same only in the up direction.

Then there is teh G68 part rotate.

There are a lot of interesting and time saveing functions so it just depends on what you want or need from Plasma.

(;-) TP

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 06:19:36 AM »
Thanks TP, not sure how much I would use the rotates and offsets as likely I would do most in CAM but as I have never used Plasma before. However  maybe I better think about leaving space there just in case I would use them.
Maybe also an AntiDive On/Off button? Then again maybe that is taken care of in the THC, will have to look.

Hood
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 01:21:41 PM »
Hood, curious to know what THC you decide to go with.
(Curiosity not bun fight)
Thanks
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 01:29:45 PM »
Just went with one I found from a Russian guy, never seen it before but looked decent enough.
Time will tell.
Here is the link.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321675169858?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hood
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 02:09:06 PM »
Its great to see you starting another adventure Hood, and happy to see that you are inviting us along !
Looks to be very comprehensive documentation with the THC mentioned. One of the most important things to look for initially.

Which plasma unit (mfg) are you planning ?

I started to build a plasma table myself some time back using Hypertherm, I might just revisit that project now that I will have you to follow ... (if I can keep up).

Looking forward to it.
Best wishes for the new year.
Regards,
Russ   :)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 02:21:26 PM »
Yes, the manual was what drew me to that one, plenty Chinese ones on eBay but documentation is poor if there is any at all.
I also emailed the guy, he speaks (or types I suppose ) brilliant English and was very helpful, in fact he suggested I may not actually have to buy the stuff from him as CS-Labs have a software THC.

The plasma I was thinking about was a hypertherm 65 but went with a TecArc Opticut 65 instead. I have their 251 Tig and it has been a nice machine, so decided to go with their plasma.
Here is a vid of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmj6JlfZUeo

I have wanted a plasma table for a long time, just don't have the room. Got some rails and racks from a glass cutting saw that a fiends work scrapped so decided I had to put them to use. Still dont have the room but I should manage to squeeze it into the porta-cabin out the back of my workshop.

Here's  what I have drawn up so far.

Hood

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 02:38:59 PM »
Impressive demo video indeed !
Amazing how the torch doubles as a chipping hammer on that Hardox.  :)

Looks like a robust machine .... nice table plan too.

Thanks,
Russ :)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 02:41:50 PM »
Yes, rough barstewards they are in Yorkshire, just ask Graham ;) Even worse than us Scots.

Hood

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 02:50:53 PM »
 :D

I will, if I see him in Lebanon this year.
Wondering if anyone from NFS will even be there though  ::)

Russ