Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 05:57:24 AM

Author Topic: Physical buttons for plasma  (Read 154345 times)

Re: Physical buttons for plasma
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2016, 08:23:11 AM »

I have been trying to work out how I can get the table into the back section of my workshop and it would be extremely tight with the bandsaw and the plasma.   

Hood

Wondering just how much the new Plasma would negate the need of the saw. If illustrated to scale (as probable to the micron) that is a bear of a saw.
I'd try to leave the plasma table in place and put the saw on casters/rollers and roll it from the wall when needed. (casters, or surplus railroad bogies  :) ).

Or maybe downsize the saw ? ? ?

Either way, I would give the plasma table permanent resident status .... water table or not.

Guess it all depends on projected usage of each.

Russ
 :)
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2016, 10:44:38 AM »
Oh ... Water table... Is the shed heated (thought I saw the word portacabin somewhere...not sure of the chances of freezing in an unheated shed in scotland)... Also if it's not being used much, consider corrosion (add inhibitor) and bacteria (add a biocide), could always design it to take a water table later if your material throughput justifies it.
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2016, 10:57:57 AM »
HIYA Hood What controller will you be using with the plasma table ??

(;-) TP

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2016, 11:09:36 AM »
What are people thoughts on having a water table?

I have been trying to work out how I can get the table into the back section of my workshop and it would be extremely tight with the bandsaw and the plasma. If I did away with the water table and just has a portable grid of 2500mm x 1250mm that I could pull forward when I am using the plasma it would make things a bit less cramped.

Pics below of with and without the water tray. In the second pic the grid would be in this position when not using.

Hood

I think you will want a water table Hood. Probably as much as doors on the Chiron. I imagine you will be keeping it hot. They can generate a lot of slag and smoke quick fast and in a hurry.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2016, 11:54:32 AM »
For occasional cutting a water table is a pain in the rear end . Being it would be in an unheated shed in Scotland it would be a double pain in the rear end.

Use a slide in pan to catch teh slag/drops and a good exhaust fan to evacuate the fumes.

NOW if it was to be used in continuous productions cutting that would be a different story AND it would NOT be out in a shed.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2016, 02:04:49 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, I will try and answer all as I go.

Are you doing stainless?  If so, I thought a water table was beneficial to avoid blackened edges (so is the use of nitrogen I think it is).

Is it a workplace (as classified by hsawa 1974....)... In that case you would need to consider hsg 258... (Search hsg 258 PDF and you can download the guide for free).

A downdraft chute will also work ... But not on stainless edge quality or blackening (think the grade of SS may be an issue)

Not done SS myself, just read titbits

Any stainless I have seen that has been cut on a plasma has blackened edges, still nice clean cut and easily buffed but  would a water table help with that?
Would the plate be submerged? Most of the ones I have seen is with the water below the material although I think I do recall, maybe an Esab video, with the material fully submerged.

Regarding health and safety, it is a workshop but I am the only person there so I don't think they have any jurisdiction, I do take my health seriously though, well now I am getting older and feeling the effects of not doing so in my younger days :D

I think you need the unit next door as well.  ;D

I already have two units and the only other 2 are occupied and anyway not everyone is a rich kid like you and Brett, so wouldn't be able to afford it even if empty :D

Wondering just how much the new Plasma would negate the need of the saw. If illustrated to scale (as probable to the micron) that is a bear of a saw.
I'd try to leave the plasma table in place and put the saw on casters/rollers and roll it from the wall when needed. (casters, or surplus railroad bogies  :) ).

Or maybe downsize the saw ? ? ?

Either way, I would give the plasma table permanent resident status .... water table or not.

Guess it all depends on projected usage of each.

Russ
 :)

Russ I reckon it will have very little effect on the bandsaw use, more likely it will be the Chiron that gets less use.

It is a fairly big saw but not massive, 280mm jaw opening and think 250mm Dia.

No way I will be downsizing the saw, need all of it's capacity and could often do with more :D

I was planning on putting it on wheels, the position in the pics is when I will be using it for cutting up long parts, the door nearest the saw is the outside door and the other one is through into the section I have my desk and Beaver mill, it was one unit but I sectioned it off. Often I have 6m lengths of material being cut and they are  right through the two doors :)

The plasma will be permanent there, it is just whether to build the  table section or just have the two side rails and have a 2500 x 1250 (8' x 4') grid which I can slide back a bit as in the second pic, freeing up some space when not in use.
Just thinking though, if I had the moveable grid/table/whatever its called just 100mm bigger than a sheet I could still have the water underneath and  still gain the room if it was pushed back.

I think you will want a water table Hood. Probably as much as doors on the Chiron. I imagine you will be keeping it hot. They can generate a lot of slag and smoke quick fast and in a hurry.

Sounds like you know what you are talking about Brett :) Is that where you do all your cooking? :D

HIYA Hood What controller will you be using with the plasma table ??

(;-) TP

Will be using the CSMIO/IP-S controller I have pulled off the wee lathe.

For occasional cutting a water table is a pain in the rear end . Being it would be in an unheated shed in Scotland it would be a double pain in the rear end.

Use a slide in pan to catch teh slag/drops and a good exhaust fan to evacuate the fumes.

NOW if it was to be used in continuous productions cutting that would be a different story AND it would NOT be out in a shed.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

I am trying not to put it outside in the shed, trying my hardest to fit it into the backmost section of my workshop. Still bloody cold at times, only heating there is when I fire up the pipe and have a smoke :D

It is unlikely to be continuously cutting but I do see it being used a fair amount, time will tell though.

So  the benefits of a water table are what?
To cut down on fumes?
To reduce heat?
Anything else?

Hood
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2016, 02:17:30 PM »
Have a read here on nitrogen, and stainless plus the use of a water table... Although it's a submerged cut

http://www.hypertherm.com/en/Torches_and_consumables/Centricut_consumables/Centricut_plasma/Articles/article_ChoosingPlasmaGases.jsp
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2016, 02:21:50 PM »
Ahhh ... OK.
I was assuming it was a vert. saw.
Gotcha now.
My horiz. saw is 280 x 460 cap. and is on casters, very handy that way.
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2016, 02:29:08 PM »
http://www.modernmetals.com/item/11600-underwater-plasma-cutting.html

I have a foldup and extendable table.  Garage isn't that big, hobby for me.
Rob

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2016, 02:42:35 PM »
Submerged cutting is a whole different animal . (;-)

(;-)TP