Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:42:47 AM

Author Topic: Physical buttons for plasma  (Read 155153 times)

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
Re: Physical buttons for plasma
« Reply #330 on: April 28, 2016, 03:31:28 PM »
:)

Yes i use M08/9 for the fan but i put the code elsewhere in the post as i use the torch as a drill sometimes to mark spots for drilling later - no point having fan on then so a little jiggery-pokery with the post and throw in a timer and it works exactly how i like it :)
« Reply #331 on: April 28, 2016, 03:48:43 PM »
Ahh...

Been trying to understand the post processors for sheetcam.  Interesting stuff... Some of them make me wonder why did they do this or that but very interesting when you begin to look into it

...no expert by any stretch on the imagination.... Still learning (always)
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 28, 2016, 03:53:17 PM »
I'm a country mile away from expert level, I generally just try something and look at the code after then tweak to suit ;)

I use VB6 at work for programming and its a bit like that, just a touch more temperamental ;)
« Reply #333 on: April 28, 2016, 04:04:40 PM »
I like lua... Bit more forgiving than C or CPP

You looked at m4 or waiting for plasma or something else to make it of interest?

Sorry hood, hijacked thread
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 28, 2016, 04:10:14 PM »
Nah, I'm happy with my Mach3 setup - works so why mess with it ;)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 28, 2016, 05:40:14 PM »
Ok think I will just make a simple tray, maybe 500 deep and have a fan similar to Daves stuck in the back of it. Will see how good that works and take it from there.
It might work ok, especially if I can have some thin sheets to place on the top to reduce the surface area when cutting smaller pieces.

Robert,
 interesting regards the C-Axis. The manual I have says it is not implemented and to ignore. Do you have any more info on it?

Have you used the THC yet?

Hood
« Reply #336 on: April 28, 2016, 07:44:02 PM »
Hood, have a look at the current eBay listing, the manual has been updated (I told Denis he should be shouting about it to try to sell it more)... Note you'll not have the latest firmware, but all that means is that you have a longer packet to send of unused information which will take about 1 second minimum at tool change.... My suggestions just bring this down to the useful code.
This link may or may not work...
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/MiniTHC-torch-height-controller-THC-/322003269901?nav=SEARCH

No not yet hoping for a run this weekend.
Rob

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 29, 2016, 02:45:47 AM »
Thanks Rob, that is indeed a different manual.
Will have to look at it and see whether it may be worth getting the firmware updated, not sure whether that would require it to be sent back or maybe it can be updated here.

Look forward to hearing how it goes, it certainly looks like a competent THC but.......

Hood
« Reply #338 on: April 29, 2016, 03:09:39 AM »
I've got a plan to connect it up to my frequency / function generator, and oscilloscope to try to see the point at which it can't keep up with the change in input voltage and also the response delay between input and output.... That is the plan... See what happens

Your one will work with the c-axis but it will require the longer (left hand column) of the message format which has a whole lot of redundant info that the THC does not use (hence my question to Denis about shortening the string)

Apparently when it had modbus it was able to output the datastring to the hypertherm powermax 65, 85 and 105 in modbus ASCII characters (serial)... But no one ever seemed to buy the interface and use it.  I said to Denis he was just not marketing it well enough and telling people what it did... Hence better manual section.

See what the scores on the doors are with the tests I guess.

Rob
Rob

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 29, 2016, 07:25:27 AM »
Keep us posted with the results ;)

Hood