Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:51:20 PM

Author Topic: Physical buttons for plasma  (Read 155136 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Physical buttons for plasma
« Reply #310 on: March 31, 2016, 05:08:16 PM »
Will probably just wait until I get the motors mounted, will then be able to drive one side first and see how it performs, if its ok then I will probably stick one sided, if not then I will run a shaft through and fit the rack/pinion to the other side.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 10, 2016, 02:21:52 PM »
Got a bit more done this weekend, Bored and tapped 76 holes for the second rail and the rack on the gantry. Still have to tweak the rack to get it into alignment but it is close, will make up a  300mm long spacer and use that to slip between the rail and rack and clamp and tighten as I go, it is amazing how much the rack can bend even with it being 30mm x 20mm section.

Robbed the X motor mount and ballscrew from the small lathe and made up a plate for the Z Axis to mount to the trucks and then made up a couple of brackets to mount the motor and ballscrew to the axis.

I will have to chop the torch down a bit in length, it is 400mm long at the moment but I need to cut it down to 280mm, it should be straightforward as it just seems to be an alu tube.

Also fitted a central connector to the plasma and to both torches and fitted a switch to the back of the plasma so that I can select between Hand and Auto torch.
Also got the MinTHC boards fitted inside the plasma and have fitted a RJ45 socket on the back so that I can have a quick disconnect from the MiniTHC if I need to use the plasma on a boat.

Pic below of Z axis.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 17, 2016, 12:33:14 PM »
Bit more done today, got the Energy chain fitted, wires run/soldered for X and Z motors, wires for limits and also plasma cable run. Also made up a torch holder, you can see it here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OacqX4gjVYQ

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 25, 2016, 05:24:17 PM »
Got a bit more done over the weekend, made some brackets out of  20mm thick Alu for the Y axis motor and pinion and have belt and pulleys on the way.
I am going to see how it performs driving from one side only at first. If I find it is not good then I can either do what I originally intended and drive the opposite side via a shaft through the gantry or I may end up fitting another motor and drive.
 I have a motor/gearbox that would do, it is a different motor and slightly bigger but I don't think that would matter.

Still undecided about downdraught or water table. Had decided earlier not to use the water due to the problems with hydrogen when cutting Alu but have been doing a bit of searching and it seems  as long as I agitate the water it should be fine, maybe even  have a pump  to circulate the water constantly.
 It seems, from reading, that water cuts down a lot on smoke/dust compared to downdraught but no experience with either so will just have to make up my mind as things are  getting close to that stage.

Anyway a few pics of what I have so far.

Hood

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 26, 2016, 02:22:14 AM »
Looking good.

A downdraught would be best I think - no dross caused by the water hitting the plate, no worries about gases building up, no rust on the machine or plate....

BUT (and thats a big but)

you WILL be standing in a wind-tunnel! I have to have the window or door open for make-up air when cutting, this is great in summer but in winter it brings a new meaning to 'cold workshop'  ;)

There is no smoke at all on my table, even when i cut a 500mm square lump of 12mm plate in the middle of the 1250x1250 bed. The machine is clean -no brown soot anywhere.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: April 26, 2016, 03:13:08 AM »

you WILL be standing in a wind-tunnel!

That is one thing I am not wanting, it is cold enough up this way at the best of times, snowing yesterday :D

Hood

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 26, 2016, 03:27:15 AM »
It's the only downside really, there are ways round it - filter and recirculate but the filters are £££ and will clog eventually, you need a lot of filtration area for the air flow required.

If the intake window was above and to the side or rear of the table then it might not be too bad, mine is behind me about 4' so it gets draughty ;)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 26, 2016, 03:55:37 AM »
No windows, it is a steel container. I would have to put in some sort of vents so could put anywhere I suppose.
Not keen on the noise of fans, the Esab L405  mig that I use for heavier Alu sounds like a jet engine and it gets on my nerves at times :D

Will have to decide soon but may be able to make it so I can do either, it wouldn't have the sloping sides if that was the case but I have seen quite a few downdraught ones that just have a plenum in the centre, for example like this.
 http://www.ezcutcnc.com/cnc-plasma-cutting-tables-draft-versus-water-tables/

Probably not the best design but would be relatively straightforward to change between downdraught and water.

Hood

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #318 on: April 26, 2016, 06:01:28 AM »
Hey Hood - why not take advantage of the fact it's in a container. Stick a camera in there and have the controls remotely back in your workshop. Load the stock and retire. Maybe a fan on the wall to get rid of the smoke before you go back in.

Bit like my router when I cut MDF - I set it going and get the hell out of there until it's all over and the dust has settled.

Ian

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 26, 2016, 04:31:22 PM »
Ian, I am planning on moving some of my welders out there as well so afraid that is not an option as I will likely be working whilst the plasma is cutting.

Hood