Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 07:26:27 PM

Author Topic: Chiron FZ12 on its way sometime soon(ish)  (Read 193086 times)

Re: Chiron FZ12 on its way sometime soon(ish)
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2012, 01:37:05 PM »
Ah  .. YES !
That is quite substantial !
A much larger footprint on the linear elements than I had imagined.
Sort of surprising that the X screw is only supported on one end.
Am I seeing that right ?
Is the Y similar ?
Z would be understandable.

Russ

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2012, 01:59:22 PM »
Yes the screw is only supported at the end on all axis, the X has the biggest travel at 550mm so in reality there is not a lot sticking out and they are at least 32mm diameter so fairly sturdy.
Original rapids were 20m/min and I am going to keep them at that.

Hood

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2012, 02:18:44 PM »
Stacking them deep and selling them cheap................. that is an understatement for you Hood.  I'm glad you got my quarters all cleaned out.  My matress will fit just fine in that cabinet.  ;D  Maybe you could raise rabbits or water buffalo in the extra space of the cabinet?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2012, 03:26:06 PM »
As long as its the transformer section below the main cabinet you are meaning, yes you can have that to bunk up in if you make it across one of these days ;D
Hood
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2012, 01:43:51 PM »
Nice hunk of IRON.  Cant wait to see what you do with it.  Let the fun begin!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2012, 04:48:53 PM »
Will be a while, especially if I decide to go down the painting route. Yours look great but I am crap at painting so may not do that ;D

Hood

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2012, 05:19:15 PM »
Degrease, sand with 400(ish) wet and dry, couple coats of filler primer, flatten with 600(ish) wet and dry, top coat, job done.

By the time you've run a couple jobs, any imperfections will be covered in oil/grease/coolant/swarf.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2012, 05:32:34 PM »
I used to paint a lot of bikes tanks, fairings  and panels etc and loved doing that and must have made a good job as everyone wanted theirs done so maybe what I should have said is I hate painting big areas, I get bored too easily and it tends to get a half hearted job done to it ;D
I got a load of 2 pack green today from the painter in the boatyard, not sure what it would look like with that but may give it a go, however I like the look of white and light grey VMC's but cant imagine they stay looking that good, or certainly not in my workshop ;D

Hood

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2012, 05:43:52 PM »
Orbital sander is your friend. Means you can't use wet and dry, but makes light work of large flat panels.
I'm of the opinion that working machines don't need to be works of art. They're going to get bashed/covered in ****, so I personally don't see the point in concours finishes in production enviroments. I can understand why somebody like JH does it, as it showcases the kind of work he does, and gives potential customers a good impression.

I'd personally keep it a light colour, as it'll help brighten up the workshop by bouncing light around. Nothing worse than a big dark box that just absorbs light, especially in small spaces.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2012, 05:55:44 PM »
Yes I am of the same opinion, never bothered doing the Beaver and it shows but doesnt make it work any worse than it would have if it had been painted. I suppose I will see how the mood takes me or maybe see if the painter in the yard wants a homer, well thats if I can afford it ;D

Hood