Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 04:22:16 PM

Author Topic: Chiron FZ12 on its way sometime soon(ish)  (Read 193635 times)

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
Re: Chiron FZ12 on its way sometime soon(ish)
« Reply #130 on: November 06, 2012, 07:59:07 PM »
I'm here. I'm just sitting back with some popcorn watching MachSupports answer to Grumpy Old Men ;D
« Reply #131 on: November 07, 2012, 12:07:04 AM »
............MachSupports answer to Grumpy Old Men ;D

PERFECT ! ! ! :D

I knew I'd seen this before, just couldn't place it.  ::)
 :D :D

Russ

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 09, 2012, 01:47:07 PM »
Still waiting on the trunking so not got a huge amount done to the cabinet unfortunately.
I got all motors mounted for the axis but when I looked at the spindle and measured the distance from motor to coupling it looked strange, the Siemens motor must have a very short shaft on it and the one I am putting on has quite a long shaft. I didnt want to chop the motors shaft down as it may get used somewhere else in the future and also if I get another motor it too would likely have a shaft that was too long. I decided to make up a spacer, it had to be 45mm thick (plus 5mm spigot) but luckily I found a piece of heavy walled pipe in the store which was just about perfect in outside dia (205mm I needed 200) and the ID was 150 so that was fine as I think I was needing 175. Anyway turned up the spacer with spigot and register and went to fit it to check but found it was fouling the tool cage cylinders so had to shove it up on the Beaver and square it off. Got that done and then got the motor fitted and all went well.
 This motor is only 3000rpm and I have a similar one on the Beaver which is 3800 and was originally going to swap them around but as I am toying with the idea of making up an increaser gearbox I have decided to leave as is for the moment.

Hood

« Reply #133 on: November 09, 2012, 06:32:17 PM »
Nice job Hood.
Where there's a will ... there's a way.

I notice that some of the arms have slotted cover plates of sorts and some don't.
What are they for and are they to be on all arms ?

Thanks,
Russ

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 09, 2012, 07:14:06 PM »
HOOD that spacer is the ideal place to build your gearbox You may have to build it oblong to get it all in BUT would makes a NICE addition.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 10, 2012, 12:29:27 PM »
Russ
 I have puzzled over what they are for and as of yet have not come up with a suitable conclusion ;D

TP
That was one of my reasons for making the spacer, I could have moved the coupling up the shaft by 15 or 20mm to reduce the spacer width needed but decided not to so that  I had a bit more space to play with if I made a box up.
I have looked at using belts but its a bit too tight for them so I have a gearbox that was for my  van (dont have it any more) that I will dismantle and see if there is anything suitable in there I can use.
Hood
« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2012, 12:01:26 PM »
The slotted plate is a guard and the slot is to miss the banjo/flow restrictor on the air cylinders.There used to be one on all of them.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 11, 2012, 02:54:22 PM »
But what are they guarding? thats what I havent worked out. Certainly dont stop crap getting to the arms or cylinders and dont see what they could be protecting the cylinders from.
Hood
« Reply #138 on: November 11, 2012, 03:29:33 PM »
They do when the rest of the guard is on.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 23, 2012, 02:07:52 PM »
There were 3 tool arms missing and also the back position had the cylinder missing. I managed to pick up a new cylinder on eBay which although not exactly the same model it is comparable in that it has the same fittings, stroke, prox sensing and adjustable damping at both ends.
 I today managed to machine up some 3mm plate and get it welded up to make the tool arms, I have tried one and had  to do a wee bit of adjustment (think big hammer ;D )to get it to work correctly but it is doing fine now, just have to finish off the swinging  part that allows you to put the tools in then close to stop them falling out. I am not sure yet if I will attempt to make the quick release catch for this or just use a bolt or maybe even just a cable tie. Cable tie is looking favourite at the moment as they as so cheap it will be no problem having to snip them off and replace each time I change a holder (which wont be that often).
Hood