Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:33:12 AM

Author Topic: Chiron FZ12 on its way sometime soon(ish)  (Read 192179 times)

Re: Chiron FZ12 on its way sometime soon(ish)
« Reply #360 on: March 02, 2014, 07:14:15 AM »
I will go the route you have taken and like what you have done with the machine.
I paid about 1200 pounds for the one I bought.

Seems it switched on, but as a previous person said, no one knows how to sort the Siemens units.

I do PLC programming for a living and happen to have two DL06 units. And a touch screen. To will link the touch screen to the PLC for manual tool changes and use Mach for control. I have the screen lying around

I stayed in Scotland for two years in 96. lovely place.

The unit looks complete bar some of the tool changer arms missing. It has stood for about three years without power.
The Siemens stuff all looks good, so dont want to chuck it all out. Will replace all the caps in the drives as they go dry after so many years standing.

Have you done more parts on the machine?
Loved the first bits you made.
What CAM software did you use?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 02, 2014, 07:23:15 AM »
Hey Hood,
Surely you must have a good feeling about the machine. Lots of work,time, and money but it is great when a plan comes together and the shop has new capability.

RICH

« Reply #362 on: March 02, 2014, 07:55:48 AM »
Hi Hood,
You mention the Mach software writes via serial to the PLC

Where do you set that up in Mach?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 02, 2014, 08:44:15 AM »
Rudker
 I use it almost daily but usually just simple  2D parts in stainless and alu although I have done some more complex stuff, for example I made prototypes for some sort of adjustable sights for rifles, see pics below.
I now use BobCAD but previously I either just hand coded or used a neighbours SolidCAM, I do own Dolphin Mill and Lathe but only ever used the Lathe part of it. I now use BobCAD for both Mill and Lathe.
I have the ladder I did for the DL06 if you think it may help, although if you do that for a living you will likely make a better one than I did anyway ;D

The serial Modbus I used was the Non-Plugin version and you enable it from Config then Ports and Pins, you just choose the Modbus I/O support option. You can then get to the actual setup from Function Configs menu and then Setup Serial Modbus Control.

Rich, yes I am loving the Chiron, especially the toolchanger, makes life really simple and having made the offline tool height setter it is really easy to set up new tools or even replace worn ones.
I spend around about £2500 total on the Chiron including the initial purchase of it and 30 tool holders. My time was free as it was done in evenings and weekends so I am not counting that ;D

Hood
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 08:46:39 AM by Hood »
« Reply #364 on: March 02, 2014, 09:02:26 AM »
Hi,
Would love a copy of the code. Will use it as a start so that I can get the tool changer to work.

How does the off line tool setter work?
Is there an online version?
« Reply #365 on: March 02, 2014, 09:27:41 AM »
Hi,
Have you thought of using the 4th axis?
Does Mach 3 support the 4th?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 02, 2014, 10:24:19 AM »
The toolsetter is basically a profile rail that has a glass scale attached to it. I have it wired into the CSMIO via the Enc module and I have a button on screen that zeros the position when the pointer is fully down. I then move the pointer up, place a tool under and let the pointer rest on the tool. I then press another screen button in Mach, it asks me the tool number and then automatically enters the offset into the tool table.

I dont have a 4th axis yet but eventually will get one made up. Mach can support up to  6 axis plus a spindle and the CSMIO/IP-A also can.

I have attached a pic of the tool setting page I made up and also a pic of the tool setter (wasnt quite complete as no pointer )
On the tool setting page I have buttons to manually load a tool and to the right I have ones that will lower a tool so I can replace a holder in the arms.

Zipped files for the ladder are attached, I think that is the correct ones, I will check tomorrow if I remember ::).

Hood
« Reply #367 on: March 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM »
Thanks for the ladder logic. I will check tomorrow how it works.

How long have you been doing all this work? Looks like a lot of time went into working out the Mach software and the setting up of your shop.

Thanks for all the ideas and help so far.

I get visit my machine this week.
out of interest, how tall is the machine when at its lowest setting.
I need to get mine into a garage door

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 02, 2014, 03:22:57 PM »
I have been using Mach for many years, started off on Mach2 and a converted manual Bridgeport, then moved on to a CNC Bridgeport, both steppers. Then the big lathe (Churchill Computurn 290) with servos. Next was a coil winder I made, it has steppers, then a Beaver NC5 knee mill  with servos, a wee Conect 121 lathe with servos and lastly the Chiron, again with servos. The Chiron is the only one using analogue command for the servos but when Mach4 Turn is released and hopefully the small issue with the CSMIO and Lathe threading is resolved (Mach3 issue, not CSMIO) then the Computurn Lathe will be getting an IP-A and I will use analogue command to the servo drives as they are capable of step/dir or analogue.

If I remember I will measure tomorrow. You will likely have to remove the motor and the Igus chain if the door is low.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 02, 2014, 04:06:10 PM »
I think that is the wrong ladder, I will attach the one from the machine tomorrow.

Hood