Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:48:45 AM

Author Topic: BT30 spindle from scratch - with power drawbar and ATC of course  (Read 562326 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: BT30 spindle from scratch - with power drawbar and ATC of course
« Reply #300 on: October 14, 2012, 10:59:05 AM »
Like the old saying goes, I could finish that up in a couple of hours IF I had all week to work on it.

(;-) TP

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 15, 2012, 06:15:13 AM »
You've had the considerable advantage of actually being able to work on yours....  Except for about 30 minutes to install the flow control valves and make that video, I've been too busy with "real" work to touch mine in weeks.  Hopefully later this week I'll be abve to get back on it.  I think I can finish it off in about a week, once I have the time.

Most of us are in that boat, I suspect. I did schedule time for the project, so I could work on it *almost* full time for a few weeks, but I did not get it done completely due to pesky interruptions like food and sleep. Now I will be off line for two months with the next scheduled project, so that levels the playing field and makes for a fair contest, methinks.

As for the prize . .  I like Cave Creek Chili Beer . . . .  Just sayin'      :)

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 15, 2012, 06:24:51 AM »
Like the old saying goes, I could finish that up in a couple of hours IF I had all week to work on it.

And from the same book:

Torque spec: Tighten till bolt strips, then back of 1/2 turn.

Installation instructions: Cut to fit, paint to match.

Fabrication: Cut once, then measure twice.

Troubleshooting: Machine making loud noise; turn off the machine -or- turn up the radio.

Maintenance: just another word for Duct Tape.

« Reply #303 on: October 15, 2012, 09:18:09 AM »
Steve,

You forgot one:  Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 15, 2012, 10:51:02 AM »
I didnt realise the  workshop practice manual I had written was available over your side of the pond :)
Hood
« Reply #305 on: October 15, 2012, 11:08:55 AM »
Most of us are in that boat, I suspect. I did schedule time for the project, so I could work on it *almost* full time for a few weeks, but I did not get it done completely due to pesky interruptions like food and sleep. Now I will be off line for two months with the next scheduled project, so that levels the playing field and makes for a fair contest, methinks.

As for the prize . .  I like Cave Creek Chili Beer . . . .  Just sayin'      :)

Well, you could be in some trouble then.  I expect to be back on mine in the next day or two.  The only thing holding me back will be I'm missing some pneumatic doo-dads, which are due to show up any day now....

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 15, 2012, 02:08:32 PM »
I didnt realise the  workshop practice manual I had written was available over your side of the pond :)
Hood

Oh yeah, we got it and you have been learning me some stuff.  ;D

Steve,

You forgot one:  Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.

Regards,
Ray L.

Can I use this Ray?  ::)
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #307 on: October 17, 2012, 05:21:02 PM »
Got the pivot arm actuator done.  It's a little "sticky" at the quill end.  It's difficult to make this work with a simple mechanism as the arm needs to rotate 140 degrees, and actually goes slightly over-center at the quill end.  It seems to work OK, but I will smooth it out, to get rid of the sudden acceleration when it leaves the quill.  Worst case, I can add a small "kicker" cylinder to get it started.  Other than that, it seems to work nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whtDRNmo8Sk&feature=youtu.be

Now if only the rest of the pneumatic parts would show up, I could start working on the software side....

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 17, 2012, 06:01:02 PM »
Ray it is all in the geometry of the cylinder and arm. I also work in Gate controllers/operators. I have seen installers get the geometry wrong and ripp out gearboxes on the operator.

Look at the pull angle you have when you go to retract the arm, the cylinder is almost directly inline to the arm AND the arm is  almost directly inline with the pivot point of the arm. IT has very little leverage left to pull back the arm . IF you move your cylinder end mount out a small amount you will have greater leverage on the arm to get it started and it will retract smoother.

Just a thought, (;-)TP
« Reply #309 on: October 17, 2012, 06:20:44 PM »
Terry,

Believe me, I am well aware of the geometry.  The arm needs to rotate 140 degrees, which is a LOT.  Basically, both ends of the travel end up being near a critical point, where it is at the very limit of usable range.  If I move the cylinder further out, then the ATC can no longer retract far enough to clear the table.  Right now, it's going right up to the edge at the quill end of the travel, but it DOES work reliably.  It takes a fair amount of tension in the cylinder to pull it off the quill, hence the "jump", but once it's moved the first 3/4" or so, it's fine.  One simple fix is to just add a very small (<1/2") air cylinder that is fed by the same air line that feeds the big cylinder to retract the ATC.  This small cylinder will pop out, and "push" the arm away from the head to get it started, which will completely resolve this small problem.

I could, of course, also go with a more complex linkage, but I really don't want to go there unless I have no choice.  This simple linkage is close enough, I have no doubt I can make it work perfectly with just a few minor tweaks.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.