Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:39:59 AM

Author Topic: BT30 spindle from scratch - with power drawbar and ATC of course  (Read 562381 times)

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
Re: BT30 spindle from scratch - with power drawbar and ATC of course
« Reply #150 on: September 21, 2012, 03:25:02 PM »
Looks a nice design however may just throw out another idea. My friends Beaver mills changer uses balls and a small spring  in a similar fashion to your drawbar. There is a small air cylinder above the tool release position so when the correct tool is in position and the clamp is gripping it the cylinder pushes down on the spring and releases the  pullstud, I thought it was quite a nice idea and the spring pressure needed is small so any old valve spring would be more than enough.
Hood
Very interesting. This sounds like it would be a bit more complicated to build and certainly additional cost (so what else is new), but it would solve the *potential* jamming concern. The claw could trip the air cylinder, thereby retaining the automatic 'interlock'. Hmmmm

BTW, it is BR's job to make good suggestions right AFTER the part has been completed . .  if you HELP him . .  I'll never finish anything . .  :D

Hey wait a minute . .  did you just move me from one PDB to SEVEN ??!!  :o

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 21, 2012, 03:26:31 PM »
Heres a video of a similar setup that CNCIT on the forum has oon his Beaver mill, you can quite clearly see the cylinder/spring setup.
Hood

Oops . .  no link.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 21, 2012, 03:27:37 PM »
Seven, thought you were going to have a 40 tool magazine ;D

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 21, 2012, 03:28:41 PM »
Ha ha ok dope slap needed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t45eE6aOWrI
Hood

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 21, 2012, 04:37:06 PM »
Ha ha ok dope slap needed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t45eE6aOWrI
Hood

That video is so close to what I have in mind I can hear the Twilight Zone theme music in my head. The claw does not extend, and the carousel would not need to stop at each tool, . .  and it won't be yellow . . . but otherwise this is extremely close to what I will build.

I've been sitting here doodling and already have a prelim design for a simple ball catch. Very interesting possibility . . . .  but 40 ball grippers?  :'(

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 21, 2012, 04:47:02 PM »
. . .  but 40 ball grippers?  :'(

Better than having two ball grippers, that may hurt ;D

Hood

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 22, 2012, 12:01:22 PM »
The ball gripper pod design went fast at first, but bogged down when run against the design goals. . .  positive mechanical lockout and sensors turned out to be a very big challenge. I am not satisfied relying on only electronic safeguards. In my view that is like substituting a proximity warning for a belt guard. Electronics can fail too easily.

After a couple of hours looking at three different methods, one of which is in the photos, everything finally came together with the ball gripper method. I figured out a bulletproof mechanical lockout and a sensor location and the thing is still buildable for less than a million dollars . :P   I shall put a Scottish flag on the finished product.

This project is headed for a significant pause because I am ordering material to make a batch of the new 4th axis next week. When that arrives, I won't have time to play. The BT30 spindle is also sold and ironically, I will be making an identical spindle as I was able to resolve the turret issue. I agreed to the sale so I'm going to honor that, of course, but it will be a setback, schedule wise, to make another spindle for this project.

If I can get a new gripper equipped pod made (NOTHING from the previous prototype pod is useable now), I will post it here. I would like to get one finished so that I can do the proof concept stuff at least, but we'll see how it goes.

Thanks once again for all of the comments and ideas.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 22, 2012, 12:06:32 PM »
HIYA Steve I WAS being nice and NOT saying anything about the design else you may never finish it.

(;-) TP

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 22, 2012, 01:40:54 PM »
Post some pics and I am sure we can then say it looks good but what about........ ;D

Hood

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 22, 2012, 02:17:26 PM »
OR maybe you might consider ???

(;-) TP