Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:44:22 PM

Author Topic: BT30 spindle from scratch - with power drawbar and ATC of course  (Read 562397 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: BT30 spindle from scratch - with power drawbar and ATC of course
« Reply #280 on: October 09, 2012, 12:17:09 PM »
With 2 young grandsons next door I have watched IRON MAN about 6,348,976 times SO FAR. They seemed to be fascinated that someone could build such a thing,. I do hope the curiosity continues .

And yes they have ask me to build one and NO I have not (;-)

YET, (;-) TP

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 09, 2012, 12:39:55 PM »
HIYA Steve have you seen this model tool changer ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8opxZLSAvN8

(;-) TP

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 09, 2012, 01:57:46 PM »
I was inferring the skill level not a specific prop:) You guys need to get out and see a movie now and again!

OK, I suppose you have suffered long enough. The aluminum  . . . . CLAW <dun duuuuhn!> has been sand blasted with fine sand at about 80lbs. Being puuuurdy is a side effect. The porpoise is to deburr the complex shape without making a career out of it. Damn thing had 60 ways go get me.

Having said that, since it was puuuurdy, may as well keep it that way. The satin clear coat is from Eastwood and it is called Satin Diamond Clear For Bare Metal . . . or something like that.   Sticks to bare aluminum . . tough  . .  handles heat very well . . .  amazing stuff.

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 09, 2012, 02:01:12 PM »
The satin clear coat is from Eastwood and it is called Satin Diamond Clear For Bare Metal . . . or something like that.   Sticks to bare aluminum . . tough  . .  handles heat very well . . .  amazing stuff.

Even polished aluminum?

Nice work, Steve-
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 09, 2012, 04:31:52 PM »
You guys need to get out and see a movie now and again!

Derek

What is derek on about?

Quote from: Hood on October 09, 2012, 07:54:17 AM
WTF is he anyway?
Hood

Not what, WHO.   I had to google him. It is the Iron Man character. I was looking for the connection when my wife said that a claw was a prominent prop in the movie. I don't remember that, but then I don't remember what I had of breakfast . . .  or if I even had breakfast. Know what I mean Fred?

What is breakfast and what did Fred do this time?  I'm just utterly befuddled about all this.  Only thing I'm sure of is those are some fine looking pieces Clint Eastwood made for you Steve!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 04:36:50 PM by Chaoticone »
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: October 09, 2012, 10:34:40 PM »
The satin clear coat is from Eastwood and it is called Satin Diamond Clear For Bare Metal . . . or something like that.   Sticks to bare aluminum . . tough  . .  handles heat very well . . .  amazing stuff.
Even polished aluminum?
Yes, but polish has wax or silicon in it, so you need to make sure the surface is super clean. Ditzler 'wax and grease remover' is my favorite, but Dupont 'PrepSol' is also good. You need to follow the directions to a 'T' with these products or you will just be moving the contamination around and not removing it.

Any paint that sticks to aluminum or is described as 'self-etching' (aluminum primers) have acid in them. This is respirator ONLY stuff. Don't even think about breathing even a small amount of it. If you can smell it, you are breathing it.
Nice work, Steve-
Dave

THX.

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 09, 2012, 10:36:57 PM »
What is breakfast and what did Fred do this time?  I'm just utterly befuddled about all this.  Only thing I'm sure of is those are some fine looking pieces Clint Eastwood made for you Steve!  ;D

Well, you have to ask yourself this question; 'Do I feel lucky' . . . .  well do ya . . .  FRED?

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 10, 2012, 10:06:48 AM »
HIYA Steve have you seen this model tool changer ?

Two things are really impressive. 1) the  . . .  CLAW <dun duuuhn!> actually rotates 180 degrees during the arm sweep. and 2) the invisible tooling.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 10, 2012, 01:26:47 PM »
I almost bought one of these changers detailed in TP's post, it was on a Matchmaker that my friend has (or has just sold to mc) which was in reality a rebadged Shizuoka. It works well but the problem is there was no way for me to use it as I required long pullstuds for my mill and the changer required you just used a normal drawbar. If the pullstids on my mill had been a bit shorter I probably could have got away with it but the rise and fall wasnt enough with the long studs.
Heres a pic of it. http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,10331.msg74181.html#msg74181
Hood
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 01:29:22 PM by Hood »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 10, 2012, 03:36:30 PM »
On this side of the pond it was known as the one armed bandit.  

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 03:40:25 PM by BR549 »