Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 10:51:38 PM

Author Topic: Bridgeport Knee Mill Conversion?  (Read 269088 times)

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgeport Knee Mill Conversion?
« Reply #460 on: September 04, 2016, 12:08:33 PM »
Ah, yes ok,

I have no idea how the internals of the 2010 screen set work, maybe Ger21 could chip in with some insight?

But if thats how you call a file based macro then thats probably how it works.

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #461 on: September 04, 2016, 01:16:48 PM »
Maybe Hood can help. Hood - where did you see Dave calling an M code from within a button script that prompted your comment I've quoted?

Meanwhile - what happened to this? i.e. what was the outcome?

I can easily change back to the std screen set so thats ok, will kill the pump and try the cut-down code again.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 01:20:30 PM by stirling »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 04, 2016, 01:24:10 PM »
Well the zip file of the code Dave attached had a macropump and M881.m1s.

So I presumed he was using the button to call the macro rather than having the script in the button itself.

Hood

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #463 on: September 04, 2016, 01:39:33 PM »
Ah - OK - it's just your quote is from Dave's "towel throwing" thread - I thought you'd spotted something over there that I'd missed. Thanks.

Sooooooooo..... Dave...

Are you doing a code "M881" call in a screen button?

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 04, 2016, 01:46:47 PM »
I guess so - the buttons part of the 2010 screen-set, it used to be the "semi-auto" manual tool-change setup but i cant use that on the Bridgeport as it needs a fixed touch-plate to get the reference height, works well on the engraver though.

I just pulled the original code from M881 that the button calls and replace it with my setter code - seemed like a good way to use an otherwise useless button.

It seems to do exactly the same as MDI'ing "M881"

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #465 on: September 04, 2016, 02:04:15 PM »
Hood - should've said - good catch - I missed that.

Dave - OK - It's really not a good idea to call a macro from a macro using the "code" call - but putting that aside just for the moment...

you still haven't said what happened when you ran the one liner?

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 04, 2016, 04:05:04 PM »

you still haven't said what happened when you ran the one liner?

I did, in post 446 - it did work but i still needed to press stop before it would run again.

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #467 on: September 05, 2016, 04:53:13 AM »
No - we moved on from that - see my reply #453

what were the results of doing that?

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 05, 2016, 05:02:35 AM »
Ah, got it, that was the point I ran out of time, it is on my list for tonight, will post answer when i get it tested.

To ensure pump is off, do you need to uncheck the option box and restart Mach or just uncheck the option?

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #469 on: September 05, 2016, 05:45:49 AM »
turn off and restart Mach3. However - when you come to turn it back on again - and restart Mach - make sure it's "taken" - here at least - sometimes you have to do it twice before the pump comes back on.

Anyway - no need - I simulated it all here and I'm getting pretty much the same results as you've described.

Turns out (here at least) that I can make it "work" by either using a USER DRO rather than the A DRO, OR by putting the M code in the button rather than using code "M..." from the button

If you use BOTH - like you're doing - it hangs the interpreter. So the M code never actually executes and (for example) the MDI is now hung.

So I guess the moral of the story is:
a) don't use OEM DROs for things they aren't intended for (which Hood was suggesting)
b) don't call M codes from macros (which I've been suggesting).

Just as an aside - during this I came across a bit of behavior which I don't really get. It seems that sometimes but not always (haven't investigated further) - if you have tool offsets cancelled, the mere fact of opening and then CLOSING the tool offset table turns tool offsets back on. That could bite you if you're not aware. E.g. you set a tool, you check the table, you set the next tool BUT you're now going to be setting the second tool with the first tool's offset applied to it - that's never going to end well.