Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 01:46:29 AM

Author Topic: Bridgeport Knee Mill Conversion?  (Read 269111 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgeport Knee Mill Conversion?
« Reply #200 on: May 27, 2016, 03:04:37 PM »
On my machines mains is supplied to the computer power supply. The computer is started and its power supply operates a relays coil. This relays coil operates the 240v coil of a contactor which powers the 24v PSUs which in turn powers the servos logic and the CSMIO.
 I then have a combined Start/Stop button which powers the 24v coil of a contactor which supplies the power stage of my servo drives. This button also supplies 24v to a safety relay.
 The E-Stop string is via this safety relay, it consists of an E-Stop button, limit switches and a NC relay controlled by fault signals from my servo drives.

The relay contacts on the safety relay  handles such things as enables to drives (via Mach/CSMIO) , Halt signals,  E-Stop to CSMIO ETC.

If a limit is hit or the E-Stop button or indeed a drive faults the relay will take away the halt signals from my drives and they will do a controlled stop, it will tell the CSMIO there is an E-Stop and a fraction of a second later the Enables are taken away from the servo drives.

The CSMIO is always powered as long as the computer is on.

The logic of the servo drives is always powered as long as the computer is on.

The power stage of the servos and the safety relay are powered when I press the start button.

Enables are via Mach to safety relay and can only get to the drive if there is no E-Stop condition or faults on any drives and Mach can not be taken out of Reset under the same circumstances.

There are additional fault signals from the servo drives which go to the CSMIOs integral Servo Fault inputs.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 27, 2016, 03:07:00 PM »
I like physical buttons for RefAll but don't bother with Zero Axes.
I also have physical buttons to Reset Servo drives if they fault.

Not sure why you have spindle buttons that are manual, by that I am presuming you are not going to control the spindle via the CSMIO?

Hood

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 27, 2016, 03:13:48 PM »
I gather you are using different drives than mine - these only have a power input not split logic and power supply, killing the supply kills the whole drive unit.

Seems there are may ways to squints cat - I will go with something that disconnects all the dangerous bits.

In theory just removing the enable signals would halt the drives and VFD, are drive runaways common?
I would not go with a system this weak but in theory it should stop the danger.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 27, 2016, 03:15:29 PM »
I like physical buttons for RefAll but don't bother with Zero Axes.
I also have physical buttons to Reset Servo drives if they fault.

Not sure why you have spindle buttons that are manual, by that I am presuming you are not going to control the spindle via the CSMIO?

Hood

My thoughts were that it would retain the manual side of the machine if wanted.

What about Z ref - top of material ?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 27, 2016, 03:35:38 PM »
Yes just removing the Enables should stop the axes, they will coast rather than stop but as a BP has a fair amount of friction it will stop quick anyway.

I honestly do not think you will ever use the Bridgeport manually but you never know ;)

I don't use any touch off operations, all manual with a 3D Taster which is set as tool 100 but if you have automated touch off then a button would probably work fine.

Hood

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 27, 2016, 03:54:26 PM »
Of course, i guess i could just MDI an M03 or M04 :)

Care to elaborate on your touch-off?

I'm only going on my minor experience with the 2010 screen-set which has an excellent macro for TOM setting, I cant use the semi-auto tool-change macro as there is nowhere to put a fixed sensing plate.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 27, 2016, 04:44:54 PM »
I just have a 3D Taster for top/edge finding and aligning vices etc, well worth the money IMO, especially at the price WNT sell them for.

I have it set via my tool height setter and stored as T100 in the tool table. If I put it in the spindle and call G43H100 then when I bring it down and  it zeroes on the surface I set zero in the Z DRO and then all tools in the changer will be spot on for the Z.

Here is the 3D Taster just in case you are unsure what it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jpnjLVKZN4

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 27, 2016, 04:47:46 PM »
Ah Ok are you meaning manual as in switching the spindle on/off etc from a button but still being controlled via the CSMIO?
If so then yes, a button for that is nice. I just have one button as I never need M4 other than when rigid tapping and when doing that it is automatic anyway.
So I just use the OEM code for spindle toggle for my button, that way I just need one button to switch on or off.

Hood

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 27, 2016, 04:59:20 PM »
Ah Ok are you meaning manual as in switching the spindle on/off etc from a button but still being controlled via the CSMIO?
If so then yes, a button for that is nice. I just have one button as I never need M4 other than when rigid tapping and when doing that it is automatic anyway.
So I just use the OEM code for spindle toggle for my button, that way I just need one button to switch on or off.

Hood

That was the idea but i like the single button toggle better ;)
I dont do rigid tapping as i use a tapping head.

That tool-changer is insane - a work of art :)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 27, 2016, 05:26:58 PM »
Yes I still love watching the tool changer, must have been amazing to see 30 years ago when most tool changers were taking upwards of 20 seconds for a tool change, the Chirons could do it in under 1 second.

Hood