Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 10:12:57 PM

Author Topic: Bridgeport Knee Mill Conversion?  (Read 269083 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgeport Knee Mill Conversion?
« Reply #230 on: June 05, 2016, 11:37:11 AM »
I think I have about 3 or 4 digital I/O's  spare on the plasma and I too have the MPG module and the IP-S has more than the IP-A.

Hood

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 05, 2016, 11:42:37 AM »
I must have missed some bells and whistles then ;)

I even have it controlling the lamps on the buttons so that the OFF, FEED-HOLD ETC only come on when code is running etc

Having the limits on the power side rather than the control side also saved inputs.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 05, 2016, 05:16:27 PM »
No limits via the IP-S either, all hardware and only an E-Stop input.

Just looked and I am using the following I/O (so far)

For outputs I have
Enables for X, Y and Z and just doubled up slave with Y. I could have used one enable for the lot but using three or more reduces the Inrush as there is a delay between enables specifically for that purpose.

I have Fault Reset  buttons for X Y Z and again just shared slave with Y.

I have a Home Z output but that was for the current sensing method so I will not be using that now

I have the Solenoid for the cylinder.

I have 3 used for the THC and may use another for the C Axis protocol if I think it will be worth it.

So all in all I  am using 10 of the 16 outputs but as said could easily free up more if required by using the one enable and even the one reset.

Inputs

I have Z at Home, this again is not used now as it was for the current sensing homing. I am not sure if the cylinder for the touch off I am using has magnets inside, if it does then I will likely fit a reed switch for added safety when probing, so would use this input.

I have X Y Z and Slave  fault signals

X Y Z and Slave Index Inputs (not needed on IP-A as it already has Index Inputs)

E-Stop input

3 THC Inputs

M31 Limit switch input

I have 9 switch inputs

Input for the torch breakaway prox sensor

X Y Z and Slave Home switch Inputs

So 28 out of the 32 Inputs used so far.

Hood

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 06, 2016, 02:14:43 AM »
Of course, its a plasma not mill ;)

So far I have..

Analogues - feed rate override, speed override, vfd1 speed, vfd 2 speed

Digitals ins...
Servo x fault
servo y fault
servo z fault
cycle start
feed hold
stop
E-stop signal
Probe
spindle toggle
Ref Z axis
Home X*
Home Y*
Home Z*
VFD 1/2 fault

*these will likely be left as screen clicks as only used once per session

Digital outputs...
Servos enable
servo's reset
spindle fwd
spindle rev
coolant
relay for button lamps
spindle 2 fwd
vfd 1 select
vfd 2 select

:)

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 06, 2016, 09:22:05 AM »
Revised the safety wiring a little, added some fuses and changed a multiple relay for a single one.

Also sketched up my panel button wiring, the idea is to have the "RUN" relay controlled via a brain or something so it switches as soon as Mach comes out of stop condition i.e. running code or in feed hold - I presume there is a smart way of doing this :)

This relay then controls the supply to the respective buttons and button LEDS - the idea here was that when in stop mode, you can only press the start, ref z and spindle toggle buttons, as soon as you press the start button, the logic changes so that only the stop and feed-hold buttons are active.

NOW, my query here is - is it wise to control the supply to the switches AS WELL as the LEDs or leave the switches permanently live but control the supply to the LEDs only?

Thoughts??

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 07, 2016, 07:56:18 AM »
Pendant turned up today - if anyone is looking for one, this is the first time i have got something from China on eBay and have been surprised at  the quality of it :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251989254779?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It actually 'feels' good - nice clean clicks on the wheel, positive switches, heavy case and a hard wearing cable, will have to lash it up to my test rig and have a play with it ;)

Away for two weeks on thursday so it'll have to wait i think.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 08, 2016, 04:00:08 AM »
Pendant works perfectly - also has on-off switch so the keyboard jog can still be used :)

I think thats about it for a couple of weeks now as i'm off on holiday tomorrow :)

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 24, 2016, 11:32:15 AM »
Hi all, back again :)

Wasted no time in getting out to the shop, started catching up on customer orders and did some work on the mill.

Seems I have ordered a screw set for the Z axis that is far too long - bum!
Will eBay that one for a few quid - its a 1605 zero backlash unit 360mm long if anyone wants it.

Then i discovered the motor bearings are half-shot, a bit of slack and grumble when spun. It will work ok but not sure having come this far if i should refit or replace with something else - options would be repair, fit a new vfd style motor with shaft extended or throw on a servo motor.

Views?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 24, 2016, 02:58:41 PM »
You not just chop it down in length?

Wont tell you the way I would go re the spindle, you will already know :D

Hood

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 24, 2016, 03:07:10 PM »
Hiya Hood,

I'm not 100% certain now, I won't be doing anything until I have the frame for the Z axis machined up and assembled, it might just be that it "seems" too big at present, time will tell on that one.

I can't re-read the whole thread but my guess is you would throw in a servo and go direct drive?

As for the X & Y motor support plates, what thickness ally here - 10mm, 12mm, 15mm ??