Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 07:16:38 AM

Author Topic: USB JoyPad and game device plugin - New Version 2.0  (Read 299464 times)

Offline area51

•  102 102
    • View Profile
    • Joakim's Technical Explorations
Re: USB JoyPad and game device plugin - New Version 2.0
« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2013, 06:37:59 PM »
This may help understanding setup/config files and jog speed:

The JoyPad plugin is kind of a two part plugin - Part one is handling and controlling of jogging and part two is handling of button assignments/actions.
Part one, jogging, is set up in plugin configuration (in Mach Config) and part two is set up via the JoyPadSetup program.

The configuration files are only used for part two, assigning buttons. Joysticks will work without the setup files.
The plugin setup is saved along with the normal Mach configuration and not in the *.Setup files.

Maximum jog speed is determined as a percentage of the maximum motor speed in Mach motor tuning and the current jog speed percentage (Mach jog panel).

Current jog speed (axis) = Joystick position (axis) * Max motor speed (axis) * Max speed in JoyPad configuration (axis) * Mach Jog panel

Jog speed will never exceed the specified max speed in motor tuning for the given axis.
Acceleration is taken from Mach motor tuning for the current jogging axis.

The JoyPad plugin has only been tested with Smooth Stepper (SS) and Parallel Port (PP) - other USB/Extension boards may or may not work.
« Reply #121 on: March 28, 2013, 08:06:26 AM »
A bit more information regarding the dead zone or lack of it on microsoft xbox wireless x360 game pad for PC.
If I select from plugins the ART-FENERTY VER 1.0A controller ( this only has 2 axes and no button control ) then the sticks perform perfectly with a correct amount of dead zone,( no drifting of dro's ) but selecting from plugin the JOAKIM HJORT version and I am back to drifting of DRO'S with no dead zone.
Hope this is of use to someone out there who may be able to help...
Thanks

Jerry

Offline area51

•  102 102
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 28, 2013, 10:10:28 PM »
Have you done the calibration in the Control Panel -> Game Controllers?

I have had drifting problems if I forget to calibrate the joysticks.
« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2013, 07:54:19 AM »
Hi,
Thanks for quick reply.
Yes I have run the caliibration prog.
It is a known problem with the Microsoft xbos wireless games pad for PC that there is no dead zone adjustment.
As it works okay with the ART-FENERTY VER 1.0A plugin with no drift and a good dead zone area, I was hoping it would work okay with the JOAKIM HJORT version  ( need the buttons !! ). But no luck

Thanks in advance to any advive or fixes that can be offered.

Jerry

Offline area51

•  102 102
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2013, 01:09:11 PM »
Hi Jerry.

I will put it on the ToDo list for next plugin release release.
How much dead zone is needed for reliable operation (% of full)?

I could add it as a check box in the plugin configuration.
« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2013, 01:21:31 PM »
If it was possible to have the deadzone adjustable that would be really cool.  I am running with a "Rock Candy" PS3 controller I found at best buy.  It nicely matches the logitech profile without the need for any additional drivers in both XP and Win7.  I decided on this one instead of the logitech after reading a lot of reviews on the two and the bonus of a much longer cable.  Anyway, it's main flaw, besides being cheesy gaudy, is that the analog sticks are tight to get moving.

Side note... I initially had been using my PS3 wireless bluetooth controller.  That thing has a great feel on the analog sticks.  It was really, really, really smooth with the JoyPad pluggin.  I only went to a plugged in version because of dealing with recharging and the MotionInJoy driver needed that some find suspect.

Any thoughts on my previous post about runaway axis when in Inc. Step mode?
« Reply #126 on: March 29, 2013, 01:59:32 PM »
Hi,
Ref dead zone,
I dont know how to workout percentages but the numbers stack up as follows as measured as raw dats from my microsoft xbox wireless gamepad.

If one end reads 00000
the other end reads 65000
I would like NO OPERATION between 26000 and 39000. ( this gives a margin, see below )

(When released to go to center on its own from 0 end reading is 27000
When released to go to center on its own from 65000 end reading is 38000)

( these joysticks are fairley crap at mechanical self centering )

As Madtooker suggests perhaps there could be 3 different percentages selectable ( only a suggestion )

Thanks in advance and for listning, very much apperciated...

Jerry

Offline area51

•  102 102
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2013, 07:41:35 PM »
Jerry:
Than you for the feedback.
With the numbers you specify the dead zone (DZ) will be 20% of full engagement. I will put that on the ToDo list  :)
When and how it will get implemented is not decided yet...
The plugin compiler environment is not up and running right now as it is Visual Studio 2008 C/C++.
Normally I program in C# and the environment I have is the newer Visual Studio 2012.

MadTooler (and others):
I have tried to replicate the problem on my setup, but it won't fail  :-\ ...
To find the bug in the plugin code I need a simple and repeatable step by step way to provoke the error. Preferable when Mach3 is in simulation mode (no output driver) - this is also much safer to experiment with  :)

Please post the step by step instruction here in the thread. Thanks.
« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2013, 09:39:43 AM »
Thanks Area51,

Looking forward to next release.

Jerry
« Reply #129 on: April 02, 2013, 02:54:20 PM »
MadTooler (and others):
I have tried to replicate the problem on my setup, but it won't fail  :-\ ...
To find the bug in the plugin code I need a simple and repeatable step by step way to provoke the error. Preferable when Mach3 is in simulation mode (no output driver) - this is also much safer to experiment with  :)

Please post the step by step instruction here in the thread. Thanks.

area51,

It is 100% repeatable on my system.  Anytime the jog mode is in Step then the axis appear to begin running to no end when engaged via the SL/R safety and the relative analog stick movement.  This happens whether it is a very small quick movement with the stick or a long held movement.  To get it back to normal, I hit the reset and switch back to Cont. Jog Mode and make sure not to try the Alt R/L.

The problem does not appear to exist in Cont. Jog Mode.

I am running Mach3 Version R3.043.066 on an XP(tablet) laptop.
Smooth Stepper USB.

Attached is a shot of both the pluggins on my system and the settings within Mach for your pluggin:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 02:56:18 PM by MadTooler »