Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 11:37:25 PM

Author Topic: USB JoyPad and game device plugin - New Version 2.0  (Read 299423 times)

Offline area51

•  102 102
    • View Profile
    • Joakim's Technical Explorations
USB JoyPad and game device plugin - New Version 2.0
« on: February 05, 2011, 01:17:57 PM »
New USB JoyPad plugin version 2.0

This is a major release with a lot of new functionality and improvements. The focus has been on simplicity – making it real easy to set up and use.

The list of news is long, but here are some highlights:

Jogging:
  • Step jogging with joysticks.
  • Continuous jog scaled by Jog Slow Rate.
  • Easy switching between continuous and step jogging.

Buttons:
  • Easy button assignment via JoyPadSetup Windows program.
  • Standard templates (button layout) for common machines:
    Foam Cutter, 2 Axes Laser Cutter, 3 Axes Milling, 4 Axes Milling and 5 Axes Milling.
  • Simple button hardware mapping for different game devices.
  • Build in support for common Mach functions.
  • Buttons works even when Mach is running GCode.
  • Build in support for safety buttons (Safe and Alt buttons).

Macros:
  • Macro code (Script) now in single file, M800, for easy code reuse and setup.
  • Mach engine state, pressed button and safety buttons state available in M800.
  • Macros can be run in any engine state.

General:
  • New improved User manual version 2.0.
  • Support for most Windows game devices.
  • No dependencies on current screen or screen set.
  • User defined templates (layouts) can easy be shared with other users.
  • did I mention it is free...   :D

The complete list can be found in the User manual.

To install JoyPad version 2.0 plugin and setup program, download the RAR file JoyPad_Plugin_2.0.rar, containing the following files:

JoyPad User manual 2.0.pdf  JoyPad User manual version 2.0
                      JoyPad.m3p                          JoyPad plugin version 2.0
                      JoyPadSetup.exe                  JoyPad button definition and template program version 2.0

Please make sure that you first read the user manual.

Most of your questions regarding installation and usage will be answered here.
This version was developed along with Nader Atifeh in a joined project.
Nader has done a fantastic work on making templates, graphics, User manual and a lot more.

Please take your time to test it and share your experiences with others. I will also keep a record of the bugs, requirements, suggestions for improvements and enhancements for the future version. Minor bugs will be fixed, but don't expect a new version within a short period  ;).

This version could be used for most users and for a long period of time.

Any question about this plugin should be posted to this thread. I and Atifeh will try to answer all your questions in this forum, but encourage everyone to participate in answering questions.

It is after all a “Spare Time” project along with other projects, so don’t expect fast response…

Hope you will find this plugin useful, and, be safe.

Re: USB JoyPad and game device plugin - New Version 2.0
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 04:22:33 PM »
I'm having no joy with extracting the PDF manual.  I've downloaded the .rar file twice and extracted twice with the same result.  The manual will not open and defaults back to a File Download window ad nauseam.

I used a trial version of BitZipper for the extracts... I'll try and find another free extractor and see if that solves the issue.

BOOMER52

PS  Just now extracted and attempted to view the PDF manual using Extract Frog... same result. NO JOY.  Double clicking on desktop icon brings up an Explorer window for a 3 second interval which then closes and is replaced with a pop up FILE DOWNLOAD window.  Clicking on OPEN or SAVE results in a repeat of the above...???
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 04:36:22 PM by BOOMER52 »

Offline area51

•  102 102
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 04:30:17 PM »
Hi Boomer52,

Try using WinRAR from http://www.rarlab.com/.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 05:28:25 PM »
Problem solved...!  Nothing to do with the .rar extraction... everything to do with having a good version of Adobe Reader on the hard drive...!

Thanks for the help!

Steve  (BOOMER52)
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 02:16:27 PM »
I've been attempting to install this new USB plugin without success.  Here's my experience and quandry...

I had problems (not related to the app) right from the start.  I extracted the three files from the .rar download but couldn't get the PDF manual to open.  That took several hours and a couple PM's to resolve... turns out I had a corrupted Adobe Reader and a reinstall solved that issue.

First let me point out that I have two Dell Pentium 4 PC's running Windows XP... one is my design PC and the other is dedicated as a controller.  I only run Mach3 on this one and it isn't internet connected! Now that I was able read and follow the Manual install instructions I was informed that the computer required Windows Installer 1 and something called dotnetfx 3.5.  I performed a SEARCH of my hard drive to see if I needed to download these files and when the search came up with nothing for both items I used the supplied link in the PDF (Microsoft Download Center) found and downloaded the Windows Installer 1 app.  I then tried to locate the dotnetfx 3.5 app in the Microsoft Download Center but came up empty.  A GOOGLE search provided me with multiple sources but I would like to point out that in the Microsoft Download Center the app is called .NET Framework 3.5... NOT dotnetfx 3.5!  I downloaded .NET Framework 3.5 and ported both files (Windows Installer 1 & .NET Framework 3.5) to my CONTROLLER PC with a USB memory fob.  I double clicked the Windows Installer 1 icon and a pop up window appeared which told me I had a version that was newer than the one I was attempting to install and I didn't need an install.  The only choice was an OK button... so I clicked OK.  My first quandry... does this USB JoyPad and game device plugin REQUIRE Windows Installer 1 or will a newer version work...???  I'm unwilling to replace whats on my computer with the older Windows Installer 1 as I have no idea how that will effect my computer's operation.  OK... now my hope lies in a big MAYBE.... MAYBE the plugin will work with a later version of Windows Installer??? Nothing else to do but cross the fingers and go on to the next file....NET Framework 3.5.  Here's quandry number two and toss in a dose of frustration.  I double clicked the install icon and it gave me the typical AGREE / DISAGREE to terms popup.  I clicked AGREE and off it went to attempt to do an INTERNET install of the program!  This computer is NOT connected to the internet so that failed!  I'm at a loss as to what else to do so it's back to KeyGrabber for me.

Steve (BOOMER52)
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 04:12:03 PM »
Hi Bommer52,

One way that you can make sure that the Joypad plugin works, is to install Mach3 on your second computer. It will not actually be connected to the machine, but you can check out its features offline. You can later uninstall all the software that you don't need.
The windows installer that you will require is: WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86 . Do a search on this.
Your situation is like mine. I do not have anything, not even a virus killer on the computer that is connected to the machine. So for the dotnetfx35, you will need to download the whole 197 Mb on the second computer and install it on the machine computer.
Of course Area51 is more knowledgeable and you can take his word.

Offline area51

•  102 102
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 04:35:47 PM »
Boomer52,

Simpel test:
  1 - Install Mach3; if it runs you have what Mach needs.
  2 - Run JoyPadSetup.exe; if it runs nothing more is needed.
  3 - Connect the USB game device; if it shows up in Control Panel -> Game Controllers, nothing more is needed.

Windows Installer 3.1 and dotnetfx 3.5 (.NET Framework version 3.5) is standard free Microsoft packages for Windows.
Newest version of Windows Installer will do. JoyPadSetup.exe will tell you if donetfx 3.5 is missing and needs installation (se atifeh post).
If game device is missing in Control Panel, follow the instruction that came with the game device.

Hope this helps.
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 05:08:56 PM »
Thanks for the additional attemts to correct my issues but still NO JOY. The JoyPad MP3 file installed and showed up in the config menu... but running JoyPad Setup.exe gave me an Application Error popup window saying the application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application.

As much as I'd like to get this to work I've exhausted my limited computer smarts and do not wish to impose this lack of cerebral ability any further on you both  I do want to thank for the effort. Much appreciated!

Steve (BOOMER52)
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 08:05:03 PM »
Thanks for the fine work. Downloaded fine and the documentation opens fine in Samatra.
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 10:09:58 PM »
I just tried to install the plugin myself. It said installed ok. But now I can't start Mach3. Everytime I click on Mach3, the splashscreen appears then a second later the whole computer freezes. Even the mouse won't move. I have to hold down the power button to reset the computer. I've tried this about 10 times now with varying combinations. Controller power on/off. Joystick plugged in/not plugged in. Any ideas? At the very least, how do I uninstall the plugin so I can at least get Mach going again.

Cheers - Matt