Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 01:35:05 AM

Author Topic: The Laser Project.  (Read 1191362 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: The Laser Project.
« Reply #710 on: December 31, 2012, 04:05:02 AM »
Can Llithophanes be produced with a laser ??

The answer is definitely “yes” but not, I suspect, with the same degree of quality as produced by spindle machining.

I had to give it a try and this was my first attempt. It is not that good but I am sure the results could be improved once I have discovered the reason for the unwanted background ‘noise’ which is spoiling the effect.

Has anyone else here tried creating Lithophanes using a laser ??

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #711 on: December 31, 2012, 05:34:23 AM »
This is an interesting approach, Tweakie. Never thought about this.

Dan

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: December 31, 2012, 08:20:16 AM »
Hi Dan,

The previous Litho was produced a while back but this one was made this morning. One big advantage is that they only take a fraction of the time to make (some 15 to 20 minutes for this one, which is 100mm wide) but the secret, if there is one, is to set the laser power so it does no cut right through the acrylic.  ;D

I don’t think laser produced Litho’s will ever get up to the quality that can be produced by spindle engraving but who knows ?

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: December 31, 2012, 08:43:41 AM »
I don't know, Tweakie, that is pretty detailed to me, that looks great!

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #714 on: December 31, 2012, 11:49:35 AM »
Tweakie, I agree with Dave, the last one shows pretty fine detail. May be in reality it looks different though.

Dan

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: December 31, 2012, 12:38:04 PM »
Hi Guys,

I don’t think there is any problem with resolving the detail as the laser beam can be focussed to a spot size almost similar to the point of an engraving bit.

The main issue appears to be that I am unable to get a smooth surface finish. In itself this is relatively unimportant as far as light transmission is concerned but it can trap some of the residual powder particles (filler creating the opal appearance) and when it does this creates an unwanted dark spike. I should say that I am not yet 100% certain that this is the cause of the dark spikes but it is looking more than likely.

I dusted some black toner onto a background area in the first Litho (this should be flat as it is all the same pixel value) so you can see a better close-up picture of the surface finish I was obtaining. This has improved slightly since changing the laser modulation method but it still looks a bit like the surface of an orange.  ;D

There is just so much to learn.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: December 31, 2012, 12:51:23 PM »
Wow, great picture, and if anyone's going to figure it out, it'll be you-
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: January 05, 2013, 05:45:31 AM »
A recent, accidental, discovery (not by me) when laser cutting a mask in preparation for paint spraying revealed that the adhesive and or mask somehow fuses with the ceramic surface glaze on wall tiles.

Obviously I had to give it a try and this is the result of my first test. I am not certain about the long-term durability but this has been through my dishwasher once without any noticeable degradation – if it survives say 10 cycles through the dishwasher then I would say that it is pretty permanent. An interesting discovery.

Tweakie.

PEACE
« Reply #718 on: January 05, 2013, 06:03:15 AM »
That interesting, i was just about to try and mark out a pattern into some litho or try to cut it. (if 80w will do that)
I've seen some spray on stuff to mark alli with a laser, but it's so expensive I've not bothered with it.

What adhesive did you use and have you tried it on any other materials ? I've often thought about trying to melt a covering onto a metallic background but haven't had time to try it yet.

Nice work tho. the detail looks good, lets hope it lasts.

Bry
The Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: January 05, 2013, 06:27:37 AM »
Hi Bry,

The original discovery was made whilst using the blue 'Painters Tape' but I am uncertain if this contains PVC so it would need to be ‘burn tested’ before trying - just to be sure.

I used the paper transfer tape, as used for the application of vinyl signs. Different tiles and possibly different makes of tape will produce slightly different shades - this was one of the super white tiles which have a slightly bluish appearance the standard white tiles produce more of a sepia shade. As far as I am aware it only works with ceramic glaze.

I would be most interested to see / hear of others results with this.

Tweakie.
PEACE