Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 10:20:54 PM

Author Topic: The Laser Project.  (Read 1191273 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: The Laser Project.
« Reply #500 on: September 01, 2011, 12:44:17 PM »
These little insects were laser cut in wood from the .dxf files posted in Dave’s thread where he cut the excellent aluminium butterfly. http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,15111.0.html

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #501 on: September 01, 2011, 01:13:06 PM »
Nice, Tweakie. What's the size?

Dan

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #502 on: September 01, 2011, 01:27:10 PM »
That's just beyond cool. Nice job to both Dave and yourself.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: September 02, 2011, 02:17:35 AM »
Thanks guys.

They may be smaller than you think Dan  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #504 on: September 02, 2011, 02:35:24 AM »
Actually no Tweakie - I figured it was about that small, judging by the zoom level (background is quite blurred ;) ).

The reason for my question in the first place was you saying it was cut from wood. It looks not more than 0.5mm thickness... didn't you mean to say "paper"? :D

By the way, the size adds very much to its charm.

Dan

« Reply #505 on: September 02, 2011, 06:52:09 AM »
I thought you were from across the pond? Now I see a US Quarter and not a 20 pence piece, LOL (Good thing you did cause I would have no idea the sizes of your coins.)

Dan has to be close to being correct on thickness. But I don't consider paper as wood. Where do you get wood that thin, Looks more like a thin veneer or laminate.

Questions:
How do you prep your pieces before burning, like staining?
Do you do anything after you burn them, sand them?
Do you use any glue to hold them together?
How do you manage not to break the fragile pieces, my fat fingers would make them toothpicks?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: September 02, 2011, 08:16:16 AM »
I found an old Nickel (and a Dime) just for the photographs and most of the regular forum members.  ;D ;D

The wood veneer is 0.6mm thickness (no idea what type of wood it is though), there is no pre-preparation or after sanding, no glue is used as I have scaled the parts so the slot width is approx equal to the material thickness and final adjustment is made by cutting on the inside or outside of the lines, as appropriate, using tool radius compensation.
(usually I would use a higher level of air assist, which blows the smoke through the kerf and prevents surface discolouration but in this instance low level air just to prevent lens contamination was all that I could do so there was some discolouration).
As for assembly, I used tweezers and an illuminated magnifying glass viewer.  :D  (and patience).

I have found a problem with making these 3D puzzles - everybody who sees one wants one and I have so many requests now for horses,  a bear, the Eiffel tower etc etc.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: September 02, 2011, 07:28:13 PM »
Most excellent, my friend!!

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #508 on: September 02, 2011, 08:56:50 PM »

I have found a problem with making these 3D puzzles - everybody who sees one wants one and I have so many requests now for horses,  a bear, the Eiffel tower etc etc.

Tweakie.

So your saying your making more than a US quarter making these puzzles? And we all should benefit and ride the cash cow. LOL ;-)
For the most part everyone thinks I should be giving my things away. After all its just wood.

And ya wonder why they are out of work and can't find a job.

"Ya-Nvr-No" Even thou the name looks its a city in China my Uncle "Sam" wants his cut too.  (not to leave out the power company, mortgage lady, Insurance man)
If I could get everyone to give me their good and services. I guess then we would all be true Democrats.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: September 03, 2011, 09:14:08 AM »
Thanks Dave.

Ya-Nvr-No,

I didn't say they were worth as much as a quarter, I just used the coin for size comparison.  ;D ;D

For the most part everyone thinks I should be giving my things away. After all its just wood.

Just not true, my friend - your things are the envy of most.  ;D

And ya wonder why they are out of work and can't find a job.

Don't talk about jobs - unemployment is rising here in the UK and the influx of eastern European (cheap) labour is helping to keep overall wage levels down - many employers are starting to see a considerable rise in their profits.

I, for one, just don't know who to vote for any more - it appears they are all ..... (rhymes with Bankers).

Tweakie.
PEACE