Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 12:25:17 AM

Author Topic: The Laser Project.  (Read 1191327 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: The Laser Project.
« Reply #1070 on: February 19, 2019, 01:29:26 AM »
Thanks for the info.  :)
I have now corrected the NAND outline in both schematics as your suggestion - thanks again.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 01:37:22 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: February 25, 2019, 07:16:37 AM »
I have just been contacted by a Mach3 user in The Netherlands who does not like to post here because he says that he does not have good English. Well:  Zijn Engels is een stuk beter dan mijn Nederlands.

He uses a Chinese motion controller which will output spindle PWM but it does not support the M11/M10 command set and up till now he has just been using an imaginary Axis Direction pin to switch his laser ON/OFF and controlling output power manually.
He has now tried the gating concept shown in post #1067 and he discovered it has an unexpected benefit…

For a while, a few years back when the M11/M10 command set was broken, I used the B axis direction pin to switch my laser ON/OFF – although this worked just fine EStop would not automatically turn the laser OFF and this really did represent a fire hazard.
Because Mach3 allows all Outputs to be switched OFF upon EStop (and this includes the PWM signal) gating an Axis Direction signal with PWM will always switch the laser OFF when an M5 or M30 or EStop is encountered. Brilliant.

This is something I had not considered – thanks Joost for the heads-up on this one (we never stop learning).

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #1072 on: April 07, 2019, 01:53:26 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm new here and i read entire topic. I never use a CNC before but i develop alot of DSP softwares also programing industrial robots. So, now i want to build a CNC laser CO2 for my wife to engrave photo. I saw on ebay, aliexpress alot of machines but of course what i want is very expensive. I saw here some coll engraving photos. My dumb question according with @Tweakie.CNC says. If i buy a pokey57e  https://www.poscope.com/product/pokeys57e/
and that type of drive https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Nema-23-2-2N-m-Closed-Loop-Stepper-Motor-kits-2-0-Nm-285Oz/32923572119.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.40a32e0e3sIIrG
i can use with Auggie with good result?
Also probably i need to build a interface between 57E and driver because is 3v vs 5v-12v so logical levels will dont mach , correct ?. //
Also a good advice for anything on begining.
Sry for my english.
Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live. @Norman Cousins

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: April 07, 2019, 04:20:08 PM »
  To use Auggie for laser photo's you need either a 57CNC or a 56 with the external motion engine baord to attach to it.
The 57cnc is the only one that has the PWM on the fly control for power by the millisecond. If you add the pokeys
external motion engine to a 57E then you also have that capability.

Art
« Reply #1074 on: April 07, 2019, 05:23:45 PM »
So basicaly i need this board https://www.poscope.com/product/pokeys57cnc/
to be able to use Auggie to engrave and i can connect directly with my controller https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Nema-23-2-2N-m-Closed-Loop-Stepper-Motor-kits-2-0-Nm-285Oz/32923572119.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.40a32e0e3sIIrG
?
Thanks for reply but i'm a little bit lost . To much information  in last 2 weeks about that . Right now i finish my build , 80w CO2 , mirrors, source , motors and controllers i need to find a good controll board to start testing.
Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live. @Norman Cousins

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: April 07, 2019, 05:26:25 PM »
Yes, so long as the driver kits take step/direction as their input , thats what you need.
You may want to read some on the gearotics.com forum, theres quite a bit on the laser hookup.
 Just send the operator a note asking for membership to the forum. Its request only to stop spam.

Art
« Reply #1076 on: April 07, 2019, 05:34:45 PM »
Yes, so long as the driver kits take step/direction as their input , thats what you need.

Art
Thanks for your time. I will order the 57CNC board . Also , exist a better controller board to be able to manage the laser for engrave ? Thanks again

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: April 07, 2019, 07:20:17 PM »
>>exists a better controller board to be able to manage the laser for engrave ?

Not that I know of. The 57CNC will provide a new PWM setting each ms. I understand though that
the ESS will now also engrave with laser using mach3. I believe it also uses a 1ms power setting
frequency.

Art

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: April 08, 2019, 02:20:24 AM »
Hi Wangine,

If your objective is to laser reproduce photographic images then, currently, the 57CNC and Auggie would be your best choice. As Art has said, you need to join the Gearheads forum and read all the 57CNC and Auggie set-up instructions but it is not too complicated to get everything up and working.
I used the DB25 connector from my 57CNC v1.2 and all signals are at the 5 Volt TTL level making it very simple to connect to my existing (LPT parallel port) stepper driver circuitry. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I manually control my maximum laser output power level and then let the software PWM vary the actual output between 0 and 100% of the level I have set. This system works well for me but experimentation is encouraged because there will always be alternative and better ways to achieve more superior results.

Tweakie.

PEACE
« Reply #1079 on: April 08, 2019, 02:49:18 AM »
Ok. I got that. I already order the board. Also i will dont use DB25. TCP or USB probably. I allways hate db25 for alot of reason . Has good on his time. A dumb question. Why not a external PWM base timing. Exist a lot of controllers can easy pragramed with only some lines of code. Probably i didn't understand totaly the CNC function.