Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 03:13:58 AM

Author Topic: The Laser Project.  (Read 1191415 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: The Laser Project.
« Reply #340 on: March 26, 2011, 01:23:13 PM »
Hi Pete,

She is Lena Soderberg and her picture featured in a Playboy mag of 1972 when she was in her early twenties. The pic itself went on to be used as a standard for digital image processing and the very first .jpg compression trials. The pic in it's entirety is truly beautiful and well worth doing a Google search to find.

Thanks for the encouragement, I just keep learning as I go.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #341 on: March 26, 2011, 06:22:02 PM »
Tweekie,

Yes she is stunning and I can see why the picture is so famous, beautiful girl....

You may be just trying to learn but all the while you are teaching the rest of us what is possible with this interesting and challenging endeavor of CNC. Your pictures and details serve to help the rest of us to see what is possible and more importantly how to do it. Thanks for sharing your ideas and imagination. Peace

Pete

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 28, 2011, 07:55:21 AM »
This is the laser cut 'proof of concept' face for my Aztec Clock.

It will have a quartz movement, keep perfect time and is guaranteed to run right up to Midday on the 21st December 2012.  ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #343 on: March 28, 2011, 09:08:46 AM »
Does it come from an Aztec playboy magazine  ;D ;D ;D

Nice job, really appreciate your work. ;)

Jeff

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 28, 2011, 09:47:36 AM »
Thanks Jeff  ;D ;D ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #345 on: March 28, 2011, 04:00:52 PM »
Have you a design made up for the clock arms? You realize you gotta make some fancy dancy frame for it, too, don't you?
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 29, 2011, 03:55:39 AM »
Have you a design made up for the clock arms? You realize you gotta make some fancy dancy frame for it, too, don't you?

Oh dear, I hadn't realised that Sam, thought I could get away with the standard quartz mechanism hands and a block of Teak.  :'(

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #347 on: March 29, 2011, 05:19:16 PM »
Well, I mean........if you wanna put the cheap grade gas in your Bugatti, I certainly wouldn't want to stand in your way.  :-* Super kitty wouldn't stand for it, for sure. Tell him what you just told me, and look him in the eyes when you do it. Don't send him a text message, don't send him an email, don't tell him over the phone. Look him in the eyes. I want you to witness the emotion he portrays to the fullest extent possible.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #348 on: March 30, 2011, 12:44:20 AM »
Everybody needs a laser! yeah. I was wondering if you knew, if you ran the laser beams through color filters, would that change its Nm size if you used them instead of optic lenses?

I messed around with fiber optic digital audio bouncing the light beam from cables off of cd at 45 degrees, recaptured the beam with another cable and still made it through even though I added and changed color filters in the beam's path.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 30, 2011, 03:38:21 AM »
Hi Sam,

I took your advice and had a long talk with SK.
Glad I did really because he says that my whole idea is rubbish because the Aztecs never did subtract from 5 in the same way that the Romans did in their number system, he says that from the evidence available they only used addition.
This throws off my whole design and concept, so I think it’s back to the drawing board before I even get around to the hands. SK says he is going to help me to get the numerals right next time (he is still thinking about the hands).

Hi JungleStreetRecords,

My laser operates at 10600nm and at this wavelength color filters don't actually exist (this is well outside the spectrum of colored light). Even the focussing optics have to be made from special materials such as GaAs or ZnSe otherwise the transmission losses would be far too high and cooling of the optics would start to become a major problem. Fiber optics don't work well in this range although there are some made from Zinc Selenide but these are well beyond my price range. Shame really because if it wasn’t for the Chlorine gas I bet I could cut a mean track in a record blank.  ;D ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE