Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 06:30:49 AM

Author Topic: The Laser Project.  (Read 1191512 times)

Re: The Laser Project.
« Reply #270 on: November 24, 2010, 08:32:16 AM »
If you can handle the shipping cost I'm all yours (these things do get heavy). Always can make something for ya out of HDF. ;)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,195 9,195
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 26, 2010, 07:19:33 AM »
Got some bits soldered on to the prototype board, which now looks like a rats nest, but at least it works.
Now to get started on the PIC micro processor program.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 26, 2010, 07:48:08 AM »
Nifty!  :)

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,195 9,195
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 28, 2010, 03:30:42 AM »
Hi Guys,

At the risk of being totally boring, thought you may be interested in these little rotary encoders. They are low cost pulse generators which could be considered as the poor man’s MPG (light duty only) and their main field of usage is for the volume control / on off switch for vehicle and domestic audio systems. They output a 2 bit gray code which by comparing the current pulse with the previous pulse enables the direction of rotation to be established (for clockwise rotation the low order bit of the previous value always equals the high order bit of the new value whereas for anticlockwise rotation it never does).
The ones I am using output 20 pulses per revolution and are just ideal to set my PWM to any value between 0% and 100% in just 5 turns. The original concept was to use a multiturn potentiometer feeding an analog to digital converter but this little chap is all digital and simplifies things considerably. (pics show 10% and 90% PWM).
I was originally intending to have the PRF switchable between just 5kHz and 10kHz but I may just use another of these encoders to allow any setting between say 1kHz and 20kHz and limit the PWM accordingly (have to check the Synrad specification to see if this is allowable).

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #274 on: November 28, 2010, 03:50:21 AM »
Thanks Tweakie. This one seems useful. Will remember to check them when I will be doing a control panel. Got a link?

Dan

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #276 on: November 28, 2010, 05:04:20 AM »
Thanks Tweakie.

Dan

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,195 9,195
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 03, 2010, 07:21:24 AM »
The record amount of snow here in the south east UK has prevented me getting to work so I am working from home.  ;D  Fortunately the license has just arrived for Gearotic Motion so I had to try it out and these are my first, non linear, laser cut gears created with the program.

If you don't already know about Gearotic then check out their website and forum http://gearotic.com/ (this is where Art has been spending all his time lately and brilliant job he is doing with the program).

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #278 on: December 03, 2010, 04:33:21 PM »
Hook up a motor and lets see them fly. ;)
« Reply #279 on: December 03, 2010, 04:53:13 PM »
..... or 1 step further. Could you make up an internal ring gear to go with this ?  :)
Make it like a full planetary arrangement ?
Would probably give one vertigo and a headache to see it running.  :P
Cool Tweakie.
I tried the forum over "there" ... couldn't gain access.
Do you know if it's up and running ?
Thanks,
Russ
 :)