Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:02:26 PM

Author Topic: Galil controller compatability (what works with the plugin)  (Read 213926 times)

Re: Galil controller compatability (what works with the plugin)
« Reply #170 on: April 20, 2017, 06:56:12 PM »
I would tend to want to keep that good stuff too!  I know the cost of a newer Galil is an impediment.  Especially if you have a 21x3 at the moment.  But I can promise you that you will be MUCH happier with the 41x3.  It is simply a better controller than the 21x3 for a milling machine motion controller.  It will do the rest of the machine justice.  

Perhaps you can sell the 21x3 and put that towards a 41x3?  Then you could run Mach 4 or Mach 3 and choose the one you like best.
Steve

Thanks for that info. When I got the Galil card cost was a big factor. It was considerably more expensive than my planned budget and until you just pointed it out I had no idea that it had deficiencies which some of their others cards didn't.
I had an additional reason for wanting to keep "that good stuff" which was that I had duplicates of it all.  It was the old Anilam controller that I wanted to replace.  It worked to drive the machine but the tape recorder and RS232 connection for a PC were shot.  It got tedious real quick entering each programme manually.
I only use 3 axis currently but I got the 4 axis card to allow for a 4th but I confess that I didn't realize that the spindle would take another, but I can live without that feature.
I have just downloaded mach4 to give it a test, do I need to unload Mach3 or should I run it from a clean computer.
Is the demo restriction like Mach3 with its limit on G-code lines, or is it a time/date restriction.  Does the Galil plugin need licencing for a test run of Mach4?
I'll see if maybe I can sell the 2143, I also have 2 sets of anilam controller that I don't need.
BTW I have upped the mill motor size and it runs to 6000rpm very smooth. Check it out at http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/how-make-6000rpm-bridgeport-56661#post84115

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 20, 2017, 08:44:46 PM »
Tony,

Mach 4 and Mach 3 can co-exist. 
Mach 4 Demo runs on a variable timer (5 to 10 minutes) vs. Mach 3's line limit.
Unfortunately, there is no demo version of the Mach 4 plugin.  I will see if I can implement that.

Nice work on that variable J head!  You managed to get rid of all the noisy parts quite nicely.  :)  i have replaced so many of those bushings i lost count.  I much prefer a pulley J head because of the noise those things will start making.  And they will get noisy pretty damned fast.  Just watch the spindle bearings and make sure they don't heat too much at those speeds!

Steve
« Reply #172 on: April 21, 2017, 01:12:00 AM »
   People tend to use a Galil to drive analog servo motors in Mach 3 as it is one of a very few plugins that can do that.  If you don't want to drive analog servos, then there is really no reason to run a Galil

That is exactly why I got a Galil card.  I had a Bridgeport which had been fitted with an Anilam system from new.  I wanted to keep the servos, drivers and glass slides and the Galil and Mach3 was really about all I could find except for one ridiculously expensive system which had bad reviews in general.

Sorry for ranting, I see that now, but not at the moment. 

I wanted the best controller for my machine, for eventual upgrades and the ability to program certain things on the rest of the axis/ which now i see is better done using 100$ PLC/ So i was between CSMIO and some others, when i saw the 8 axis Galil for 450$ versus the CSMIO which is 800euro. Thats why. Boy, what a mistake. But still exactly what i was saying. I could have payed even for the plugin, but when no support for second hand Galil..  In fact i received once support, not on second question i asked. So i sold it.

What i was saying was that now there are better solutions

« Reply #173 on: April 21, 2017, 03:16:46 AM »
Tony,

Unfortunately, there is no demo version of the Mach 4 plugin.  I will see if I can implement that.

Steve

Steve,
Many thanks, I'll wait to hear. Are we talking days, weeks or months for that to happen?
« Reply #174 on: May 01, 2017, 05:52:51 PM »

I would tend to want to keep that good stuff too!  I know the cost of a newer Galil is an impediment.  Especially if you have a 21x3 at the moment.  But I can promise you that you will be MUCH happier with the 41x3.  It is simply a better controller than the 21x3 for a milling machine motion controller.  It will do the rest of the machine justice. 

Perhaps you can sell the 21x3 and put that towards a 41x3?  Then you could run Mach 4 or Mach 3 and choose the one you like best.  Just keep in mine that if you want to control the spindle from the Galil, you need to get one extra axis on the Galil.  I suggest a 4153 for milling machines if you EVER think you might want to run a rotary 4th axis. 

I have a 4080 on my machine running Mach 4.  It is poetry in motion!  It is a Matsuura that originally had a YASNAC control on it.  One of the I/O boards went out on it and I decided to retrofit it to Mach instead of just buying a replacement board for the YASNAC.  Best decision I every made!  Mach4/Galil blows that YASNAC away!  Now, it took a lot of work and I had to buy a Galil, but the costs were not that much more than buying the replacement board for the YASNAC on the surplus market.  My only regret is the purchase of the 4080 instead of a 4153.  The 4080 is so overkill it isn't even funny. 

Steve

Thanks for all the above commentary, it is very helpful. I am in the process of converting a Bridgeport size mill to CNC. I have brushed DC servos and want to use a "dual loop" setup (linear encoders on the ways and rotary encoders on the motors), for backlash compensation the Galil supports this. That's why I bought my 2240 (eBay) I now realize, If I want this to work as best as possible, I will need to upgrade to a 41x3, I will buy new from Galil, at this point, it will be worth it.

I just want to be sure there are no compatibility issues using dual loop setup on a 41x3 with Mach 4?

Many Thanks.

Eddy
Eddy
« Reply #175 on: May 01, 2017, 06:31:38 PM »

Thanks for all the above commentary, it is very helpful. I am in the process of converting a Bridgeport size mill to CNC. I have brushed DC servos and want to use a "dual loop" setup (linear encoders on the ways and rotary encoders on the motors), for backlash compensation the Galil supports this. That's why I bought my 2240 (eBay) I now realize, If I want this to work as best as possible, I will need to upgrade to a 41x3, I will buy new from Galil, at this point, it will be worth it.

I just want to be sure there are no compatibility issues using dual loop setup on a 41x3 with Mach 4?

Many Thanks.

Eddy,

Eddy,
I can't answer your specific question and I am at a bit of a loss as to why you would want two types of displacement detection, but I can tell you what I have.
I have linear glass scales for displacement. DC servos with tachos for velocity info. which are fed back directly into the motor controller cards for the D in PID. Then the glass slide outputs are fed into the Galil card for the PI.
So in effect there are two loop closures, velocity closed within the motor controls and displacement closed within the Galil system.
The motors, tachos and motor controllers are from the original setup and the velocity feedback gain was optimized when built, so when using the Galil software to tune the servos I only have to worry about the P and I terms. D is set at zero.
It works OK with Mach3

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 02, 2017, 12:54:47 AM »
Eddy,

This question would best be posed to Galil.  There are restrictions on dual loops setups.  For instance, the rotary encoder has to have more counts than the linear scale.  Also, Galil may charge a fee if special firmware is needed.  So talk to their pre-sales support to clarify this stuff.

Steve

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 02, 2017, 12:56:13 AM »

Steve,
Many thanks, I'll wait to hear. Are we talking days, weeks or months for that to happen?

Well...  I was hoping soon but I just got another project that will delay the Galil plugin demo.  Maybe a moth?  It is very hard to say.

Steve
« Reply #178 on: May 02, 2017, 01:32:41 PM »

Eddy,
I can't answer your specific question and I am at a bit of a loss as to why you would want two types of displacement detection, but I can tell you what I have.
I have linear glass scales for displacement. DC servos with tachos for velocity info. which are fed back directly into the motor controller cards for the D in PID. Then the glass slide outputs are fed into the Galil card for the PI.
So in effect there are two loop closures, velocity closed within the motor controls and displacement closed within the Galil system.
The motors, tachos and motor controllers are from the original setup and the velocity feedback gain was optimized when built, so when using the Galil software to tune the servos I only have to worry about the P and I terms. D is set at zero.
It works OK with Mach3

Thanks, I am pretty sure I can use the rotary encoders as tachometers (as read on other forums). I have heard of doing it the way you have your machine set up, What kind of accuracy are you getting with your system? The difference is with what I want to do, both the motor and linear encoders go to the Galil. Galil has lots of info on this setup, that's what lead me to them.
Eddy
« Reply #179 on: May 02, 2017, 01:42:49 PM »
Eddy,

This question would best be posed to Galil.  There are restrictions on dual loops setups.  For instance, the rotary encoder has to have more counts than the linear scale.  Also, Galil may charge a fee if special firmware is needed.  So talk to their pre-sales support to clarify this stuff.

Steve

Thank you, I will talk to Galil before ordering. I was just wondering if there were any known conflicts with Mach 4 software specific to running a dual loop system.
Good to know about the encoder counts... Thanks!
Eddy