Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 03:48:55 AM

Author Topic: Galil controller compatability (what works with the plugin)  (Read 213569 times)

Re: Galil controller compatability (what works with the plugin)
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2011, 05:15:06 PM »
WooT, someone updated the Galil plugin. Thanks works good now!!! OK now to figure out how this works :P

THANKS!!!
Aero
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2011, 07:23:25 PM »
OK, have got almost all my I/O's figured out!! but I'm stumbling on getting the motors to move. I'm working with my A-axis first (rotary less likely to hurt anything if it runs away :)) I have mapped it to W(D) in the "Axis Setup" tab in the Galil plugin. It is a brushed servo so I set the "Galil Axis" to "D" and Motor Type to "Servo Motor".  I have enabled it in Config > Ports & Pins > Motor Outputs. I then go to Config > Motor Tuning and set the counts and the accel. But when I try to up arrow key the motor does not move. I have tried going into MDI and command it to move and I get no movement.

Do I need to set the "Step Pin#" and/or the "Dir Pin#" in the Config > Ports & Pins > Motor Output? The motor is connected to an Advanced Motion Control amp card. I reads the +/- 10v signal. I have read through the forums and can't seem to find the INFO I'm looking for. It seems to me that this is an easy step (since there isn't a lot of INFO on it here), so I must be missing something.

Thanks in advance for all the help :)

Aero
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2011, 07:33:55 PM »
silly question maybe.
have you got enable signal connected on the amplifier? if so set the enable as galil plugin pdf (check on diagnostic screen)
have you set an acceleration number in motor tuning?
either use jog 4 +/- or use midi line and type g0 a360 enter
if its not broken yet, fit more gadgets!
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2011, 07:37:52 PM »
have you also followed the pdf re mapping  inputs etc?
i presume it moves if directed from smarterm?
you will be able to check the 10v with a multimeter too.
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2011, 11:15:39 PM »
I had it working in Camsoft last week, but I must have something not set right in either the Galil plugin or Mach3 itself. Does the Galil plugin know that it sends the +/-10v to the MOCMDW on the ICM-2900 or do I have to set it to do so? I'm not sure what output number that would be.

I haven't tried it in SmartTerm but I have many times in Galil Tools.

Thanks,
Aero

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2011, 12:05:19 AM »
I don't know why you had problems with the plugin, as it has been at version 4.4 for a good while now.  Neither Kenny nor myself have updated the website.

To run a servo, the plugin needs the motor type to be set to either "servo" or "servo reversed" and the stepper jumpers on the Galil for that axis need to be open.  Also, the KP, KI, and KD parameters need to be burned in the NVRAM.

Verify that you can get axis movement in SmartTerm or Galil Tools before trying to configure the Mach plugin.  Please read the plugin documentation about turning on debug output and send us a GalilDebug.txt file if you continue having problems.

Steve
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2011, 01:12:45 AM »
I don't know why you had problems with the plugin, as it has been at version 4.4 for a good while now.  Neither Kenny nor myself have updated the website.

It was strange, on 2/2/11 I downloaded the plugin and it was around 200+KB, then on 2/3/11 it was 472KB. But it works now!! :)

Verify that you can get axis movement in SmartTerm or Galil Tools before trying to configure the Mach plugin.  Please read the plugin documentation about turning on debug output and send us a GalilDebug.txt file if you continue having problems.

I will do that as soon as I get back to the shop tomorrow.

So just to make sure I leave the "Step Pin#", "Dir Pin#", "Step Port", and "Dir Port", in "Motor Outputs", all at zero right? I was watching one of the videos and he said they shouldn't be left at 0, but that might not be true since I'm using the Galil plugin. I just want to make sure.

Thanks for all the help... Can't wait to play with this, I have been watching the Brains videos and I'm ready to play!!! :)

Aero

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2011, 10:44:34 AM »
None of those step/dir parameters are required.
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2011, 06:49:20 PM »
Well I got my A-axis to move, but it is really jerky in the Motor Tuning window. I tried to reinstall GalilTools to adjust the PID's, but I can't get GalilTools to move the axis anymore. I can turn outputs off and on, but no movement in my A-axis.

Thanks for the help :)

Aero
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2011, 07:02:57 PM »
use smarterm
master rest the galil
reconnect through smarterm and set and burn an ip address
type
kda=1 enter
kpa=1 enter
kia=0 enter
bn enter

that gives you the very basic galil tuning for a axis
change the a for whatever axis your tuning

motor will have minimal damping but should run

now type
 aca1000
dca1000
pra5000
bga

motor should run