Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 04:01:23 AM

Author Topic: Galil controller compatability (what works with the plugin)  (Read 213571 times)

Re: Galil controller compatability (what works with the plugin)
« Reply #100 on: December 29, 2011, 03:44:21 AM »
Help me!  I use Mach3 + GALIL 2230 .
Everything works well but I have a problem:
300000 line are G-code of program. His
starts jamming on middle of program and this intensifies.
Processor run on 60-70% power.
In debug program of GALIL plugin T=4.********* or bigger.
Small program (2000 lines) is ok, no jamming.
What is problem?
Thenks!
« Reply #101 on: December 29, 2011, 05:16:08 AM »
i have seen programs stop mid run, but usually caused by a bouncing limit switch etc. (try linking out limit switches at galil during run to prove)
a friend of mine has just run a 150,000,000 line program over 8 days with no stopping using galil .
he was having trouble with stopping all the time which eventually tracked to a noisy z motor. after motor change to a new one machine runs perfectly.
if its not broken yet, fit more gadgets!
« Reply #102 on: December 29, 2011, 05:19:11 AM »
make sure you dont have adobe reader or any other stupid software on the mach3 pc.
« Reply #103 on: December 29, 2011, 06:09:20 AM »
Thank you!
GALIL is at step mod. The pc is connect only on galil, there are not end switches.
« Reply #104 on: December 29, 2011, 06:20:38 AM »
try running the program above the work with spindle off?

you may well be getting noise from spindle.
it appears galil is quite noise receptive and will fault.

i havnt run galil on a machine in stepper mode , only testing on bench
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2011, 06:40:29 AM »
There are not motors, only pc and Galil.
The standstill shows on the dro cca. 3-4mp until time.
The standstill shows on the single axes in a dmc smart terminal.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 06:53:33 AM by apukak »
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2012, 12:08:17 PM »
Occasionally my CNC machine will stop operating and I will get "Galil Error -1: Emessage = "A time-out occurred while waiting for a response from the controller."" in GalilDebug.txt.

When it happens, if I query the controller in SmartTerm it appears to be working normally.  But to get it working in Mach3 I have to exit out and start the program again.  Just pressing the reset button doesn't fix it.

Sometimes everything will work fine for days, sometimes it will do it every 20 minutes.

I do not believe it is a network connectivity issue because I ran a continual ping (ping 192.168.2.1 -t > log.txt) to my Galil controller and it was uninterrupted during the failure.

I have tried a different computer, a different DMC1425, different cables. 

Any ideas?

Pretty soon I am going to dig out a PCI DMC1800, rewire the breakout box, and give it a try.  I have a few of those cards working in similar machines without trouble.

Here is a log of the important parts of my GalilDebug.txt

http://pastebin.com/6hfeH4da
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 12:11:11 PM by Swap_File »

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 13, 2012, 05:58:29 PM »
A timeout is well...  a timeout.  It really shouldn't happen.  The plugin sends a command to the controller and the controller should respond, success or otherwise.  But there have been a rash of this lately.  So I'm looking into it.  I had to run a large program for 16 hours on a Virtual Machine to get it to happen.  Meanwhile doing everything I could possibly imagine on the VM host to make life miserable for the VM.  But I managed to duplicate the condition.

I'll be updating the plugin on the download page shortly with a bit of extra code to try and handle timeouts more gracefully.

Swap File:  Looking at your logs, I see a problem with your timings too.  There are times > 200 ms between updates.  These should really be ~100 ms,  This usually means that something is consuming CPU to the point where Mach can no longer communicate with the plugin every 100 ms.  Or it could be indicative of a network communication problem where the response between the plugin and the controller is slowed to a point where Mach spends more time in the plugin than normal.

So with your slow timings and timeouts, I would check your network to make sure that nothing is interfering with the communication between the Mach PC and the Galil controller.  Do you have a hub or a switch that has other devices connected to it along with the PC and the Galil? 

Steve

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2012, 04:36:40 PM »
Guys with timeouts, try this plugin: http://www.smcomp.com/~smurph/galil/Galil.zip

It handles timeouts in a more graceful manner.  It will keep trying to communicate to the controller until it becomes un-stuffed.  So your machine may pause, but it will recover.

Steve
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2012, 12:26:25 PM »
Thanks for the quick response!  I updated the DLL this morning and will report back with the results.

The computer running the CNC machine never has CPU usage above 20% while executing code in Mach3.  Right now the computer is a 2.8ghz P4 with 512MB Ram running XP with ACPI turned off.  It is connected to the Galil by a 6 foot long crossover cable (192.168.2.x).  A second NIC connects it to the internet (10.183.0.x).  I have tried a different computer, different NIC (onboard Broadcom, a reltek, and a 3com), and different cables with the same results.

I have one DMC2140 in use over Ethernet and have not noticed any problems (but then again I have never had to dig through galildebug.txt on that machine).  Is it possible the DMC1425 is being slow and choking occasionally?