Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 05:46:13 AM

Author Topic: Galil controller compatability (what works with the plugin)  (Read 213576 times)

Re: Galil controller compatability (what works with the plugin)
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2011, 01:02:01 PM »
OK, this is REALLY strange. I was on the phone with a Galil tech and we were going through Galil Tools(GT) trying to figure out why I couldn't move the A-axis in GT. He had me input a bunch of commands and then asked me if I had anything hooked up to the "Abort" on my ICM, I told him I had an E-Stop hooked to it (which I just hooked up last Wed or Thur, from reading people here, suggesting that the E-stop be hooked up to "Abort" so Galil can disable the amps). I unhooked that wire and BAM!! I have a normally closed E-stop, I guess I need to get a normally open one. I have nice smooth movement in my A-axis!!! When I asked him how Mach3 was able to move the A-axis at all with the E-stop on the Galil he had no real answer, but everything seems to be fine now!!

I appreciate all the help you guys have given me. I hope that this new INFO might help other people reading this forum from going through what I have :)

MUCH thanks,

Aero
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2011, 01:04:10 PM »
P.S. The tech at Galil told me that the only way, he could think of, Mach3 able to move the A-axis in an E-stop state, was that Mach3 must bombard the controller tell it moves.
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2011, 01:16:57 PM »
what pin did you connect abort to through estop? galil icm 2900 or 1900?
also. read the section on laen or haen chip in icm. does your chip finish with 06 or 07?
if its not broken yet, fit more gadgets!
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2011, 01:27:16 PM »
the abort can be either hi or low depending on the polarity of the incom signal
for safety it should be wired normally closed. that way if wire gets snapped it stops
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2011, 01:42:40 PM »
It's an ICM-2900, the tech at Galil told me that the switch is active low and can't be changed :(. I have the e-stop hooked to IN8 on the ICM and I have that input routed to Mach3 as E-stop so I will be OK tell I get the new switch or I take this one apart and see if I can make it normally open.

the abort can be either hi or low depending on the polarity of the incom signal
for safety it should be wired normally closed. that way if wire gets snapped it stops

I total agree, I will look into the Galil config and see if I can change it.

Thanks,
Aero

Offline kcrouch

•  193 193
  • In way too deep!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2011, 01:56:47 PM »
Not sure if it has been mentioned here before, but, you need Smartterm and not Galiltools to run with Mach3. You can have both installed, but You must have Smarterm in order to run with the current release of the plugin.
Kenny
Having way too much fun! Something must surely be wrong.
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2011, 02:31:52 PM »
the incom signal on the icm needs to be connected to ground if you want normally closed to operate active low for the abort signal. saves breaking your estop switch!
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2011, 05:00:28 PM »
the incom signal on the icm needs to be connected to ground if you want normally closed to operate active low for the abort signal. saves breaking your estop switch!

OK I will try that.

I have a new problem. I'm setting up the X-axis to run on Mach3, I noticed that the DRO's are showing the wrong direction, so I went to config>ports and pins>motor output and enabled "Dir LowActive". Worked great, but I had a little noise in the motor (PID thing) and I noticed the servo motor was indexed wrong on the machine. I had to take the motor apart and index it correctly. I got it all back together and tried it. The motor ran away and now it's back to the same.. DRO's are running the wrong way, but this time changing the "Dir LowActive" isn't changing the direction.

Has anyone ran across this problem?

Thanks,

Aero
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2011, 05:32:04 PM »
This is from the "Mach3Mill_Install_Config.pdf":

If the axis moves in the wrong direction (Minus when it should move Plus), there are three ways to fix
the problem. Click the Save button to save the axis settings, then do one of the following:

• Change the Low Active setting for the Dir pin of the axis in Config>Ports and Pins>Motor Outputs
tab (and Apply it).

At first this worked great, but since I indexed the mounting flange on the motor it isn't working right (which has nothing to do with direction of the motor). I move the axis in the plus direction and the DRO's show -, then when I switch the "Low Active setting" and reset Mach3 and move in the plus direction the DRO's still show -.

Sorry about saying it twice, thought I needed to clarify it a little more.

Thanks,

Aero
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2011, 05:47:05 PM »
use servo reverse in plugin, read the galil manual re reversing if that doesnt work
when you say indexed the motor- not the encoder end i hope.
some motors have sinusoidal encoders which have to be spot on.
(as somebody im programming for this week found out)

if you get chattering etc when moving turn your kd setting down and re burn