Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 06:55:45 AM

Author Topic: Galil controller compatability (what works with the plugin)  (Read 213580 times)

Re: Galil controller compatability (what works with the plugin)
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2011, 11:48:55 AM »
When using torque mode (trans-conductance) amplifiers, the current out is relative to voltage in, the TL regulates the level of DC so that the current output can be tailored to the maximum current allowed to the motor.
N.
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2011, 12:37:41 PM »
I did follow the pdf to map my motors and limit switches but I can not get it to work. The motors jog but any G-code I input does not. Also, the limit switches are active only on the X-axis in the diagnostic screen.

I will try reinstalling the plugin and go through all my settings again.
« Reply #92 on: October 31, 2011, 10:12:34 AM »
Hello,

If I am using the same limit switch for forward, reverse limits and home, should all of them be mapped with the same pin number in the ports and pins configuration? Could you please help me understand this.

Thanks in advance.
« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2011, 05:28:52 PM »
this can be done but its not so easy to set up!
map all as normal in ports and pins
the limit in the homing direction and the home switch need to be connected together to the same input pins (linked together)
the other limit input need to be wired into the "closed position" permanently
make sure you have use limits as homes checked on in mach 3 ports and pins

ive set up a few machines like this and it always turns into a head scratcher.!!! do one axis at a time
if it doesnt reverse off the limit switch then reverse the limit wires.
good luck.
 >:D
like i said, it can be done but always seems a bit of trial and error to get right.
if its not broken yet, fit more gadgets!

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2011, 01:18:52 AM »
The problem is the sin amps.  The Galil will support commutation for external sin amps, but it uses 1 axis for the motor and 1 axis for the commutation.  So if you have a 4 axis controller and 3 axes defined with BM, then the plugin decrements the usable axes by the number of axes defined with BM.  4-3=1.  :)  This is how it has to be for external amps.  But...  Galil has an integral sin amp that doesn't require an extra axis for commutation.  But you still have to have BM defined, so the plugin does the wrong thing with that setup. 

The next plugin release will have a fix for this.  However, I do not know when that will be.  :(

Steve
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2011, 03:12:55 AM »
smurph.
does mach debounce do anything with galil?
i did a machine for a customer which is all working, but if taking heavy cuts causing lots of vibration the limit switches are bouncing causing a stop.
tested by tapping switches with a screwdriver while air cutting - as a car mechanic would do normally with a hammer!
recommend anything?

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2011, 06:59:36 PM »
Hmm...  Good question.  I know there are debounce settings in Mach, but whether they are handled in the PP driver or Mach is the question.  Maybe there are debounce stuff in the Galil that we could take advantage of?

I'll see what I can find out.

Steve

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 19, 2011, 03:27:53 PM »
battwell,

Better get a bigger spring for that switch.  :(  Because I see no way to debounce a limit switch on the Galil.  If a limit is tripped, the the Galil AUTOMATICALLY issues a ST command for that axis.  :( 

novicemachinist,

Try this plugin: http://www.smcomp.com/~smurph/galil/Galil.zip

You do not need to register your controller with Smart Term with this plugin.  Only set the controller in the plugin config.  It should help your G code moves with you sin amps.

Steve
« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2011, 03:48:57 PM »
It works great. Thank you Steve.
« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2011, 07:13:56 PM »
thanks for checking smurph.
i might add a capacitor accross switch to 24v to slow it down. or go back to the machine and change the switches.