Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:13:06 AM

Author Topic: Galil controller compatability (what works with the plugin)  (Read 213964 times)

Re: Galil controller compatability (what works with the plugin)
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2011, 12:22:51 PM »
set as mt1 or mt-1
remember to use the bn command to save any changes
(this is to use the analogue input to your servo drives with the galil closing the loop)
if you use step/ direction input to your drives then the loop is closed by the drives not by the galil

if you can set your drives to use the torque input, that is the best method with the galil(that i have found)
if its not broken yet, fit more gadgets!
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2011, 12:56:30 PM »
Hello,

I am new to Galil and Mach3.

I am using Galil DMC 4143 and Automation direct servos with galil inbuilt amps.
I have installed the galil plugin and I can get the motors to jog using mach3. But when I try to run a g-code, it doesn't work. Please let me know if there is any other setting that needs to be done.
Also, I am using the TCP modbus connection. How do I map the limit switches in the ports and pin config in Mach3. I am confused with the port numbers and pin numbers. Please, throw some light on this.

Thanks in advance.
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2011, 05:22:07 PM »
MT/-MT  has to be used in conjunction with CE, the first reverses the motor command, the second, the encoder direction, if you do not have them in unison, you will get a run away condition.
Nosmo.
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2011, 07:04:52 PM »
the pin numbers are set out quite clearly in the galil plugin pdf instructions (on machs plugin page) might take a couple of re re-reads to understand fully.
only map whatever axis you are using. ie, if your using 3 only map x y z and spindle.
limits must be wired or shorted out (for testing)

im not sure but believe you uncheck the use linear interpolation on the 41 series galil ? worth a try

re g code. are all axis which are called in the code mapped? ie x y z all set as per instructions? if one isnt it cant move so will stop.
if that doesnt work, post your settings here and the start of the code you are trying to run
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2011, 10:12:17 AM »
Thank you for the help.

@ NosmoKing:  I believe my MT ad CE settings are good because I am able to achieve desired movements using Galil tools. I have servo motors on X, Y and Z axes which have a quadrature encoder. So, I set my MT to 1 and CE to 0 for all the three axes. I get the runaway condition when I try to jog them using Mach3.

@battwell: I went through the pin configuration in Galil plugin pdf page. It is a bit confusing to me because the input signal screen in ports and pin config says that only pins 10-13 and 15 can be used, but the pdf has some of the limit switches mapped out of this range.
            I did try mapping them according to the pdf and only the limit switches on my X-axis worked. I double checked the switches using galil tools and they seem to be functioning well. Does this have anything to do with the port number?

Thanks

« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2011, 10:23:49 AM »
i believe all should be mapped as port 1. (in mach ports pins screen)

when you have your mt or mt- correct us bn command to burn into controller so it saves and you dont get a runaway condition when mach3 is closed.

what have you saved into the galil so far?
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2011, 10:26:47 AM »
the other thing to check... what is your tl (torque limit) set at for each axis?
for testing this is set low but must be put to 9.98 to run correctly after motor direction setting etc
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2011, 10:56:31 AM »
I did burn MT and CE to the Galil.

The motors do not have an hall effect sensor, so I am using a Galil Sine Amp 43540.

I have burnt the following to Galil:

IP address
MT=1
CE=0
TL=2 (the rated current for the motor is 3.3A)
TK=5.97 (peak current is 9.3A)
AG=2
AU=4 (since the L>4.2 and I am using 24vdc power supply)
KP=15
KD=160
KI=0

I have these burnt for all the three axes.
Also burnt BW for the Z-axis as it has a brake on it.

I am able to achieve the required motion thru galil tools. But when using Mach3, I am not able to. Does this mean my Mach3 settings are misconfigured?

Thanks

« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2011, 10:58:42 AM »
I also burnt the BM value which is 2500. The motor has 4 pole pairs and the encoder has 10000 counts per rev.
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2011, 11:32:53 AM »
ive not used those ams so cant comment on correct settings.
however TL is torque limit which limits the normal 0-10v output, usually used to take the motors from minimum to max speed. and would normally be set to maximum for normal use.

if it moves correctly in galil tools you must have something wrong in mach 3.
what do you have motors set to in mach3 plugin config?  did you follow the plugin pdf re setting the motors in mach 3?

can you get any movement in mach 3. have you tried the commands g0 x5 etc to move motors?
also check jog is switched on in mach 3.

are any limits etc showing in mach3 diagnostic screen?
what happens when you run code/? any error messages in mach 3 status bar?