Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 02:58:10 PM

Author Topic: Problems threading on the lathe  (Read 433987 times)

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
Re: Problems threading on the lathe
« Reply #720 on: November 29, 2009, 10:58:51 AM »
Hi Rich:

No, the fix specifically was for CPU's over 2.1Ghz on PCI timer speed. Originally, the PCI bus ran at 1Mhz,
but it seems over time to have sped up, and some actually run at over 3Ghz.

Now if you have less than 2.1Ghz, you were fine, but after that the RPM oudl read negative, and the correction would be
negative. Ths version fixes that.

Peter: Thx for the confirmation, Ill notify Brian as to the fix.

Art
« Reply #721 on: November 29, 2009, 02:13:38 PM »
Art,
      Just to clear up a little confusion, with this fix are the Turn Diagnostics still valid? - Thanks - Terry

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: November 29, 2009, 02:29:59 PM »
Terry:

No, the Turn diags are now outdated due to these changes. Ill revisit them when I know the release version of Mach3 is OK with threading. Theres a few changes I need to make to the Theading dll to be usefull again. It was only experimental as it was.

Thx
Art
Art...
« Reply #723 on: December 18, 2009, 09:29:53 PM »
Your new .exe nicely fixed the negative rpm problem in the lathe S true DRO and threading seems to also work well. Thank-you. I also run my mill from a second PP card in the same computer. After switching to V.032 with your 'fix' the mill spindle will now not spin up from from either the MDI or g-code unless it is first started at least once from the screen spindle start button. Then it will start up from either g-code or the MDI until the system is restarted again.  The spindle uses step and dir outputs and the 'disable relays' option is unchecked. The mill spindle works fine in V.029 but not in V.032 with the fix. I've really not tried it on the mill without the fix. - Terry

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: December 18, 2009, 10:45:20 PM »
Terry:

Thx.. It may be a general bug with other code, but Ill run a check tomorrow on it and let Brian knowwhereit lies..

Art
« Reply #725 on: February 21, 2010, 07:39:27 PM »
Guys,
  Tried ver. 32 and 33 and cannot get acceptable results threading.
Before I go further, I'd like to know if this older PC would not be expected to handle the latest improvements to the SW.
It's a Dell Optiplex GX1
Pentium III
600 MHZ
384 Ram
Manual spindle motor with pulleys, single slot INDEX.
Diagnostics Information screen shows:
Rotation Speed realtime   1317 - 1318  RPM    
Application end PRM        1198 - 1498  RPM  constantly alternating the 1 (hundred) and the 4 (hundred)
The Spindle Speed DRO on the screen does the same as the App RPM.
In older versions, the RPM fluctuates 1 or 2 rpm on the normal screen.
Averaging ON or OFF......same results.
Just checking before wasting too much time on it.
Thanks,
Russ

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: February 21, 2010, 08:09:30 PM »
Russ,
Do you have the turn diagnostics on?
Do not use or enable the plugin. It is no longer functional.
RICH
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 08:15:07 PM by RICH »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: February 21, 2010, 08:23:55 PM »
Hi all,
I am sorry about not updating the write up.

I have comments marked in mine and thought that i had updated it some time ago and posted the update.
Obvioulsy not.........

The main thing is that the diagnostics is no longer functional, so....
Ignore most  of page 19/ fig 3.7.1 & 3.7.2
Page 42, ignore the third paragraph
Page 45, ignore verbage related to and figure 7.1.5
Page 46, ignore the whole page
,and you need to use an M3 or spindle button to turn the spindle on or you won't get an rpm reading in the dro...
this was done so Mach would be able to read low rpm's ie; it informed MAch to start looking for the index pulse as it relates to rpm

RICH
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 08:32:26 PM by RICH »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: February 21, 2010, 08:48:07 PM »
Russ,
Dell Optiplex ........I have a Dell Optiplex GX520 and the signal out of the pc's PP just plain sucks and there is nothing i could ever do about it. Also the kernal speed was not that solid. Worked fine with a SS.

On my new pc the kernal will be like 25004 +- 1 or 2, and never changes, but, the new rpm that is displayed is not a manipulated one ( for lack of better words ) and is based on the index pulse / real time. Max velocity with the Dell
was 20 IPM and that was a stretch........new pc 120 ipm if deisred via PP.

My DEll is a great machine otherwise,for everything, but for MAch via PP, well it just plain sucked!

FWIW,
 RICH

« Reply #729 on: February 21, 2010, 09:12:57 PM »
Russ,
Do you have the turn diagnostics on?
Do not use or enable the plugin. It is no longer functional.
RICH

I looked through this lengthy post rather quickly and did not see mention of that....sorry.
Yep, I had it running.
My fault...I followed the manual to a T again, all that info that is now RED  ::) :D That IS a great work you got going there Rich.
I'll try it again with the diag OFF then let you know what I get.

I had a GX270 on this lathe.....it went TU. It output 3.3v and worked great through a buffered BoB. Best conservative rapids were about 80 ipm.
This old dinosaur on there now pumps out a solid 5v to the same BoB and now the rapids are at 200 ipm......never skips a beat. I was pleasantly surprised.
Don't know what else may be different, but all I did was change the PC. On-board PP BTW.

Thanks Rich,
Russ :)