Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:45:24 PM

Author Topic: Problems threading on the lathe  (Read 432237 times)

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
Re: Problems threading on the lathe
« Reply #650 on: November 01, 2009, 09:06:26 AM »

Any section in particular that your interested in more so than others?
Anything that you would like to see in the manual?

Rich,

Your document seems to cover pretty much everything one could think of. Great job!

The "How to Pick Up a Thread" section sounds very interesting in particular to me.

Daniel
« Reply #651 on: November 01, 2009, 11:36:16 AM »
Rich

Sorry just got a bit over excited.

But i have now done some threading, i am using a Smooth Stepper so i haven't had any issues that i am aware of.

I did misunderstand some of the info in that when i built the lathe i have two encoders on my spindle one a single slot and one a multi slot so i went a bit over the top there.

So just looking forward to a good read.

Phil
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: November 03, 2009, 10:05:06 PM »
Hi All,
I don't know if " THREADING ON THE LATHE - MACH3 TURN " will be a "good read" but
the rough draft shouild be of interest.  It's in Members Docs and here is the link:

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,13017.msg85313.html#msg85313

RICH
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 10:17:18 PM by RICH »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: November 03, 2009, 10:28:07 PM »
Oh BTW, should anyone have any interesting stuff, better pics, they want in it or want to add to it, by all means feel free to post.  Any general comments welcomed but spelling errors or gramar dosn't count.
RICH

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #654 on: November 04, 2009, 05:50:49 AM »
Thanks Rich! A very informative and useful document you've put together. I am sure many will find it very helpful.

Daniel

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: November 04, 2009, 08:39:28 AM »
Rich:

Amazing Job!! . I think Ill ask Brian and Scott to post that in the regular Docs section ofthe website , its the best Doc Ive seen on threading in particular.
I love those tread photo's in it. (Give me a calm comfort. :-)  )

Art
« Reply #656 on: November 04, 2009, 09:09:52 AM »
Hi Rich

I think many people are going to benefit from all the testing you have done together with your excellent write up. Many thanks for all your hard work.

Peter

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: November 04, 2009, 03:15:15 PM »
Thanks All,
Most of the basic content is in the doc but need to get some comments in it. There will be more pictures mostly in the testing part. Those pictures wll delineate what things should and should not look like.

The whole intent of that section will go something like this, for an example:
You followed the instructions  on how to pick up a thread, but before actualy trying to do it, run the scribe testing....
as the photo's show, if you don't align  the tool correctly in the process you will not scribe the same line.......
on a punney lathe you may just make things worst........the lathe may not be accurate enough to do it.....etc.

ART,
I got all the Yahoo group comments and your report and summarized for what what will happen.  I'll post the summary and you can proof read it for accuracy.
RICH

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: November 04, 2009, 03:29:16 PM »
Rich:

Sounds good. We have posted even thge preliminary as "Rich's guide to Threading" in the Docs section.We'll update it as it goes, but its too valuable IMO to
let languish on the forum. :)  .

Art

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: November 04, 2009, 03:36:32 PM »
ART,
Here is the summary for your comment.  Based on this, there will be some changes in Mach turn configuration, so the screens currently shown in the threading doc need to redone. I figured i would waite to see what new version brings and then add commentary in the doc.

RICH

Mach version ????
There will be an updated version of Mach released using a completely new threading code versus all the other versions. Users should wait for the threading changes to be initiated since the one posted in the treading tests is experimental and not recommended for general use. The code will only be for a single INDEX .

There are two current basic configurations for threading. Single index ( single slotted disc / halls sensor, etc.) or  timing ( multi-slotted disc with index, or electronic equivalent / encoder ). The new version of threading will change the current ‘timing” configuration such that a multi slotted disc with a wider index slot used for timing will no longer be available.

There are two current threading plug-ins. TurnDiags-Turn-Diag-1.00.1 called Turn Diagnostics in the PlugIn Control tab is currently loaded on a Mach installation. The second one, namely ThreadingAdvanced-Threading-1.00.0 was in testing.

The new threading still addresses slow down of the spindle. How well it will hold the threading tolerance has not been tested yet, but ‘may be” in the 10-25% range. You will not be able to completely stop the spindle and recover the threading cycle and prior tests for spindle slow down are no longer applicable.

The “future” Advanced Threading requires update per the new threading code and will allow for a slotted wheel with index or an encoder. When using an encoder additional parameters will need to be defined to MACH. If using an encoder, you’ll have to set the number of quads per rev and should work fine if one considers just how many lines can be seen per rev at top speed of threading used and limits their speed to that as a maximum. The Advanced Threading will not be available until after the updated version of Mach is released.

An encoder can be  used for threading, and it IS on the books to allow an encoder geared output of the stream, but that may take longer to appear since rework of the code is first required  to get it to a more manageable level of interconnection. As  the printer port very slowly goes away, it
becomes  a question of what the new hardware guru's can put in their firmware with application support from ArtSoft's side.

I suspect Electronic gearing is now possible, but will require a defined development procedure similar to what we just went through with threading.