Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:37:11 AM

Author Topic: Problems threading on the lathe  (Read 432175 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Problems threading on the lathe
« Reply #630 on: October 30, 2009, 10:26:36 AM »
ART,
I figured you are curious on how latest threading post will do.
I cut a few short threads and they looked very, very good, the cutting was smooth, didn't notice any goofy passes,
no lead error problem, so this is looking DAM  good at the moment.

Need to cut some CS and see how it goes. I'll post some data later, want to break it first.
So keep the fingers crossed!
RICH

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: October 30, 2009, 11:36:22 AM »
Rich:

You just keep stacking up the beer I owe you! :-)

Art

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #632 on: October 30, 2009, 12:17:36 PM »
Art,

I finished the job I was doing on my lathe and I am willing to help if I can with the threading tests now. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help you guys. Don't want to switch to PP though... so anything you think I can test with the SS, let me know. You said averaging was affecting the SS as well, so may be I should try it...?

Daniel

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: October 30, 2009, 12:40:25 PM »
Daniel:

I think most of what we've done affects mainly the printer port. Though the RPM is now specific to 4 decimals for planning,
so the SS shoudl do better threads now than before. In the end, if Rich's current tests work, Ill have to work with Greg to
make a slight adjustment to the SS to make the threads a bit more accurate. The SS is known to have pretty good threads in any case, so
its not a huge concern as yet. When the PP is complete, we'll get some SS tests under way to ensure its good all over.

Thx
Art

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: October 30, 2009, 03:22:48 PM »
ART,
Take a look at the attached files. Any comments?
RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: October 30, 2009, 07:24:13 PM »
ART,
Just some scirbing test info as it's easy to post.
402RPM / 20 PASSES / 0.1, .050, & .025 PITCH
115RPM / 20 PASSES / 0.1, 0.50

The pitch error is for those tests were for practical purposes "0". ie; at 1.5" there may be a slight lead error
of -0.0004 or +0.0002 total.

Will do a few more at different rpm's and pitches to see if any scaling happens,multiple pitch ( should be interesting ), and something for alternate flank ( need to think about that one ). Maybe some real high passes just for kicks.

So don't go breaking it in the meam time!  ;)

RICH

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: October 30, 2009, 08:02:08 PM »
Rich:

I guess my main comment is that if you arent a professional tester or engineer, you otta be. Great work!, as usual.

I guess we slayed the dragon. My sword, your weapon handling. I have to say of all the debug testing running over 7
years now, I have enjoyed this run most of all simply due to the excellent reports, great testing and solid logic you employ.
 I agree with all your comments. They show exactly why certain aberations occur and will be posted in the Docs section when
Brian returns.
   I wont claim we have it all done or figured, or that strange things wont happen, but with lack of eveidence to the contrary, Ill consider this solution to be
the one we will use.  I now see many of the issues as obvious and am embarrased I missed them all this time, but thats the nature of all tough bugs.
I'll see to it that all is incorporated into the next version of Mach3, and the driver will change to reflect what
we've done.

I'll write up a report for the yahoo group to explain what we've doneas well. I think in future Ill have to call it
"Mach3's Rich Threading Algorithm". :)

Art

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 30, 2009, 09:50:32 PM »
Thanks for the compliments ART,
Hopefully some practical threading by many users of the version over time will hold true. The testing basicaly implies that if you can't do threads on your lathe, it's not the software part but rather your "Lathe system" along with experience using it.
While you  were tweaking the program i was  compiling a whole bunch of "stuff" which will be put into the members docs as a tutorial or whatever. The write up attempts to capture the big picture on threading so it covers
a lot of territory. If anything it will be a good first stop for  getting a handle on threading on a CNC lathe using MACH3 Turn.

I am just glad that you put the effort into upgrading the threading. The threadings problems are very difficult to put into perspective because they are so interrelated and hard to isolate in a meaningfull way.

BTW, My profession is a process engineering designer and background includes code design of equipment, piping, and whatever. This is fun and the profession is work!

I'll look for your write -up.
RICH

Offline olf20

•  325 325
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 31, 2009, 07:53:10 AM »
First let me say that I don't have a cnc lathe, but I have converted a 9 x 52 mill.
I do have a small lathe that I use so this thread really caught my attention.

What a display of professional cooperation between two individuals. Most of the time I got
the impression that both of you were having too much fun.

I can not begin to tell you how much I have enjoyed this thread!!!!!

Great job Rich, Art, and all the others that have taken part in this, and thank you for
helping me to understand a little more!!

olf20 / Bob
Mach3, Atlas Knee Mill, 4th Axis, VcarvePro, ESS, Super PID.
Been Heating with corn since 1998

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: October 31, 2009, 07:58:59 AM »
Yes I have to agree, it is so refreshing to see the detail Rich went to in his testing and more importantly his documenting, far to often  all you get is this doesn't work and thats it.  Just goes to show what can be achieved when people are willing to put the time in and to work through something :)
Hood