Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:53:33 AM

Author Topic: Problems threading on the lathe  (Read 432295 times)

Re: Problems threading on the lathe
« Reply #330 on: May 23, 2009, 05:41:49 PM »
Only brain is for the oiler , cpu usage shows 2%

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 23, 2009, 05:42:45 PM »
That CPU when its crashed? Try disableing the Brain, unlikely to help but you never know.
Hood
« Reply #332 on: May 23, 2009, 06:11:47 PM »
yes thats it right now , with Mach frozen, spindle slowly turning

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 23, 2009, 06:14:39 PM »
Weird, would have expected a high CPU if Mach had crashed.
Hood
« Reply #334 on: May 23, 2009, 06:37:29 PM »
I dont think its actualy crashed., i think its just lost communication with the SS for some reason or ss has stopped responding . When the system freezes I can walk to the back of the machine , unplug the USB from the SS board and then navigate thru mach, hit the estop , etc , all the onscreen buttons then work and I can access all menus.

Once it crashes it will stay frozen until I either force it to close or unplug the USB

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 23, 2009, 07:09:05 PM »
It does sound as if the plugin is locked up waiting for the SS to respond, though I didnt think the main loop of th eupdate in the SS waits for USB traffic.. it should just trip an error.

Id mention this one to Greg to see if he can think of anything. The fact that Mach comes back to life seems when the usb is unplugged seems to be a situation where the communications is being
waited on by something.. but by design the plugins dont wait for traffic, they just analyse what has come in.. it does sound like a locked up thread though..

Art
« Reply #336 on: May 24, 2009, 10:43:01 AM »
Thanks Art, I contacted Greg with a link and description yesterday afternoon. Hopefully he will drop in over the next few days with some insight.  

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 24, 2009, 11:06:48 AM »
thx, Greg is a very good at dealing with such issues. In the end though, it may be Windows triggering some unknown
wait state when the USB locks up, Im really not sure.
  I havent looked at the plugin source for awhile, but Im pretty sure we were carefull not to add any code that waits on USB transmission
in the update loop, so Im thinking thi smay be a hardware issue that coudl be hard to resolve.

Art

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 24, 2009, 01:21:02 PM »
Richard, I think you have two SmoothSteppers, if thats the case what about swapping them and seeing if the problem stays with the lathe or follows the SS to the Mill.
Hood
« Reply #339 on: May 24, 2009, 01:26:30 PM »
one other thing , I am running the exact same computer , ordered the same day , same build spec etc on a bridgeport mill  with smoopth stepper. That machine is having no problems . The only major diff is its running an older version of mach and a much earlier release of the ss plugin.

I wonder if I should start a fresh instal on this machine. I am a little reluctant with all the settings that would need to be reconfigured but also very excited to get this issue sqaured away before I dive into the tool setter, bar feed hyd chuck and hyd tailstock issues.

I will try pulling the SS from the lathe and putting in the mill later today and see if the problem follows the board