Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:36:30 AM

Author Topic: Mach 4 Feature Request  (Read 424584 times)

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 4 Feature Request
« Reply #230 on: February 23, 2015, 06:50:09 PM »
gcEdit proposed licensed features:

Tool path back plot, DNC, and advanced editing features, and simple tools for common operations.

Advanced editing features:
Convert to Inch
Convert to Metric
Remove Spaces
Insert Spaces
Remove Zeros
Renumber N sequence numbers

Tool:
Bolt hole pattern
Circular pocket
Spiral Mill Bore

DNC, Circular pocket, and renumber are not finished as yet.

Steve
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 06:57:19 PM by smurph »

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 23, 2015, 07:58:04 PM »
could you add converting Y to A, back plot is in arts new program so to me not important but good having everything in one place, converting inch to metric that's a good idea what you thinking as a cost.

and its a dam sight better than fusions one hopefully I can link it

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 23, 2015, 08:12:42 PM »
I have no idea on the cost.  I don't get involved in that.

I can do the axis convert.

Steve

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 09, 2015, 06:20:17 AM »
Greg at Tormach did exactly what he should be doing in "HIS" world . Locking the user out from the internals that they have little to no need to be tinkering with in there.  In that WORLD you have to protect the users from themselves AND protect the machine so it can be stable and the OEM can trouble shoot it.

NOW REMEMBER Tormach gave everyone the  option to UNLOCK the Mach3 machine so YOU could have at it. But at point you were on you OWN as to trouble shooting it WHEN you messed it up.  

The NEW Tormach unit is a dedicated CNC machine controller , Same as HAAS,OKUMA,MAZAK, etc,etc.( Just a smaller scale)  NOT a do everything motion thingy to make everyone happy.

Terri,

I was not arguing whether Tormach has a right to create and follow their own business plan.

My comment was that it in not reasonable . . . .  in my opinion . .  to try to make a direct comparison between Tormach's new pilot and MACH4. An analogy might be comparing a portrait to a bunch of tubes of paint and a paintbrush.

Pilot is a 'purpose built' product and MACH4 is more of a tool. The portrait you look at and enjoy and it SHOULD be a finished and well defined and detailed piece. But you can't change it.

MACH4 is tubes of paint and a brush. The way I view it, you are not buying a product in its final form. Many folks will do a 'paint-by-number' type of picture, some will only use the white tube of paint and other will create great portraits limited only by their skill and creativity.

For example, what can be reasonable compared? Pilot does 'X" and Mach4 does not? As (Smurph, I think it was) has said time and again, whatever you want MACH to do that is doesn't do already, you can probably make it do.

I am not usually one to pick up the pom-poms for MACH, but I have to say given the choice between Pilot and MACH4 . . .  no brainer.

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 09, 2015, 07:14:01 AM »
I was not vague.  Some of the other features are not finished yet.  The tool path is done.  But we really haven't promoted it at this point yet because we don't know what all we will add.  So if vague being that "I don't know what else at this point" then I guess so.

I asked for a specific feature, not the whole to-do list. I selfishly wanted to know if that specific feature had made it onto the list. I further asked if it is in, or will be in the pro version and said I would be happy to pay for a license if that feature is included. I don't think I asked something unreasonable . . like the date it would be available.

No one noticed the "LOL" in the comment?  Or was it just you?  It was not sarcasm for the sake of anything.  It was a joke.  That is how I am.  I like to joke around.  I'm a happy guy.  And I refuse to walk around on eggs shells just to keep from accidentally pissing someone off.  I will be the first to tell you that I'm not politically correct in any shape, form, or fashion.  It is not worth my time.  We have precious few minutes to live on this Earth to be wasting them on that kind of stuff.  

You are preaching to the choir . . . I invented 'I don't care if I piss you off'    :D

And I was trying to be honest too.  I have that "editor change feature" on my list.  But it is way down the list at the moment.  Nothing else meant at all.

The implication was, as I read it, that the requested feature was not important enough. This forum has enough bullies and personally I don't mind at all going toe to toe, but I know for a fact that a lot of people don;t post on THIS forum for fear their ideas will be ridiculed.  

I am guilty too and I'll take the spanking for it when I have it coming. Probably sounds odd coming from me, but I think we could all be a bit more sensitive and it would improve the forum.

And now I find myself getting a lecture (on my birthday of all days) from someone that doesn't even bother to look at the editors and see if the other feature that you "specifically referenced" but are being "vague" about (by not mentioning it again) has been implemented.  It seems that you would rather just open up a forum and post Negative Nancy comments.  Thanks, but no thanks.  Just so as not to be vague, I'll throw it out there...  Printing.  It needed to be done.  It took me three weeks to get it in there.  I won't get paid a penny for it either as gcEdit is freely available in the Demo.  You are welcome!

Jeez, if I knew it was your birthday, I would definitely have waited to piss you off.  I did check the editor. How else would I know to ask for the feature? If there is a demo of the pro version that I could have looked at, then you have me there, and my apology. I did not check. Rather I assumed I would need to buy the license, which incidentally I said I am happy to do if the feature is in there.

For the rest of you that post constructive things, I want you to know that I spend MY time trying to make this software the best that it can possibly be.  I spend 12 or more hours every day doing that.  We listen to your requests and we try to get every one of them in there somehow within reason.  We are not going to cater to the 1% on anything though.  We are not going to write one person custom software that does EVERYTHING he wants it to do in a niche environment.  But yeah...  if it is something everyone will benefit from, we try to get it in there.  It just takes time.  Lots of it.  
Steve

"the rest of you?"   This is the 'ah *********/attaboy' ratio at work. I am defined by one post as Negative Nancy. I have been posting a lot of very positive comments about MACH4 since returning here. I would wager at least 90% positive in fact. I have completed porting over my controller only because you and the rest of the mach team have done a very good job getting mach4 more stable and a lot of the forum members have also contributed greatly to the available documentation and knowledge base. My last visit was when the Demo was first released and there was not a lot of good things to say, except that TCP Modbus was fast as hell . .  and I think I did say that.

So stop living in the past . . .  ;)
« Reply #235 on: March 11, 2015, 02:15:47 PM »
I would like a screenset for those of us with vacuum tables like the one in this thread...
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/133039-lvl-steel-base-8.html

and if anything else, just a way to convert the mach 3 screen sets and port them to mach 4

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 11, 2015, 08:14:06 PM »

FWIW, I have looked for a demo version of the 'Pro' Gcode editor for MACH4 and cannot find one.

If it is available somewhere, can someone post the link, please.

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 11, 2015, 08:38:49 PM »
The one that comes with Mach 4 is the demo version.  Demo is not a good word, as it is fully functional as it is and does not time out or anything.  Unlicensed would be a better word.  The licensed version would have more features (not all of which I can remember at this time so please do not state that I'm being vague.)  We don't have a demo version that enables the Pro features for a limited time or some such.  Not yet.  Because we simply haven't finished it yet.

When it is done, I think Todd may be able to do a time limited license or something.

Steve

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 12, 2015, 05:15:42 AM »
The one that comes with Mach 4 is the demo version.  Demo is not a good word, as it is fully functional as it is and does not time out or anything.  Unlicensed would be a better word.  The licensed version would have more features (not all of which I can remember at this time so please do not state that I'm being vague.) 
I hope you are not reading the word vague as 'evasive'. Vague just means 'not specific', or indistinct. There was no negative connotation intended.  But back at you, please don't state that I did not 'bother' to check for the feature. That was Negative Nancy . . ism . .  ness . . .    ;)    I checked the information that was available.

We don't have a demo version that enables the Pro features for a limited time or some such.  Not yet.  Because we simply haven't finished it yet.

Maybe a better way to ask is this: Are we looking at 'we have a short list, but it not finished yet' -or- 'we have not decided what features will be added'.

Also, I recognize that this task may not be on your plate. The question is directed at whoever has the information. You just happen to be person who is accessible . . . which is much appreciated, incidentally.

When it is done, I think Todd may be able to do a time limited license or something.

Just to bury the semantics on this topic, here is the description of the specific feature that I am interested in:

Ability to replace one line with multiple lines.

Existing working examples:

notepad++
   - control characters inserted in the 'replace' field will generate muli line replacement.

ex: find "G0A"
     replace with "M4008\nG0A"

result "M4008" is inserted as a separate line above an unaltered 'A' axis move

CNC cookbook G-code editor (I requested this feature and it was added).
     - this feature is more sophisticated and can recognize and apply context based rules.

My wish list enhanced feature :
     ability to grab the entire line that contains a 'find' string match

ex: find "G0A*"   would pull from the match to the EOL
     find "*G0*"   would pull the entire line (block) that contains the match

Together with the 'newline' feature described previously, this would allow insertion of code after every occurrence of the match.
 There are work-arounds for this, but it would be accessible to all users if it was made a feature.

This is just string manipulation stuff. Should not be that difficult to implement.

OK, that's my Mach4 feature request.

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 12, 2015, 05:29:10 AM »
that can all be done with notepad++ new updated version, what is needed is more than notepad++ or they are wasting there time they need notepad++, plus back plotter and re-coder so macro b can be done as well.

they wont charge that much for it if it can do everything notepad++ can do in G code plus macro b and back plotter I would pay as much as M4 for it.

just give them time it can be next year.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 05:31:00 AM by daniellyall »