Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:37:52 AM

Author Topic: Mach 4 Feature Request  (Read 424506 times)

Offline Bodini

•  216 216
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 4 Feature Request
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2014, 01:25:56 PM »
On compiling macros at startup: a bad macro should give an error message and not cause Mach hang forever. (don't ask me how I know about that ;-) ) 

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2014, 01:51:33 PM »
OH,OH I know that one well.

(;-) TP
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2014, 02:16:36 PM »
Those are Plasma functions that should be controlled at the CAM side. The machine side is just suppose to follow the gcode BUT without pauses in motion when Mcodes does switching.

(;-) TP

It is really very difficult to do?
At the moment there is no possibility to set these points automatically in CAM, only manually. Imagine a program of thousands of parts on a sheet of metal and in every corner  the operator must set the switch-off AVC points  :'(.
This option would simplify the process of preparing programs and works.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 02:19:09 PM by shad71 »
--Andrew

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2014, 04:03:33 PM »
Sorry but you are wrong it is VERY easy for the CAM post to determine what you need and ADD a corrective Call AUTOMATICALLY based on conditions.

No hand coding needed or required.

IF you are required to hand code these things you may want to consider a NEW cam.  SheetCam does a wonderfull job in these areas.

(;-) TP

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2014, 04:10:45 PM »
On compiling macros at startup: a bad macro should give an error message and not cause Mach hang forever. (don't ask me how I know about that ;-) ) 

If you are talking about Lua, there is a selection to compile in one of the drop downs in the editor. I have learned to always compile before leaving the editor to get that satisfying  'Compile successful' (or something to that effect).

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2014, 04:20:30 PM »
I have seen it COMPILE OK  in the editor and error (Lua error running chunk) on load in mach4.   Can't explain it but i have seen it here.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Offline Bodini

•  216 216
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2014, 04:28:18 PM »
I could be totally wrong but i think I read on this forum that a script has to be "wrapped in a function" in the macros folder.  when mach starts, mclua.mcc compiles all the macros (as functions, meaning that it reads them but does not do them).  then when you call the macro, it runs the function (probably totally wrong wording there but from one dummy to another, you get the point).  If your macro is not in function form then mach will run it right there on startup (put a message box in a script, not in a function, and see it for yourself).  as far as ive seen most macros that compiled and ran just fine in the lua editor will cause mach to stop right there (i suppose its in some infinite loop or something).  this was my laymans understanding of what i read on the forum so PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong! :-)

-Nick

ps- here we go talking about things when this thread is supposed to be for requests only.  >:( ::)  New 'mach hangs on loadup' thread anyone?
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2014, 04:40:06 PM »
That's the reason I posted, how to find and fix a xml file that does not load, happened to me more than once. PITA... but beat starting over.
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2014, 05:07:10 PM »
Sorry but you are wrong it is VERY easy for the CAM post to determine what you need and ADD a corrective Call AUTOMATICALLY based on conditions.

No hand coding needed or required.

IF you are required to hand code these things you may want to consider a NEW cam.  SheetCam does a wonderfull job in these areas.

(;-) TP

OK! It well be great if the machine side under Mach4 control is just suppose to follow the gcode BUT without pauses in motion when Mcodes does switching.
In Mach3 any M command will cause a pause in the motion if it comes in the cut path.
Now I'am  not using an M command. Necessary to me data I receive from Mach3 variables. But in Mach4 SDK I do not see any of these variables, and I'm interested in how to implement the desired function.
--Andrew

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2014, 05:33:00 PM »
I could be totally wrong but i think I read on this forum that a script has to be "wrapped in a function" in the macros folder.  when mach starts, mclua.mcc compiles all the macros (as functions, meaning that it reads them but does not do them).  then when you call the macro, it runs the function (probably totally wrong wording there but from one dummy to another, you get the point).  If your macro is not in function form then mach will run it right there on startup (put a message box in a script, not in a function, and see it for yourself).  as far as ive seen most macros that compiled and ran just fine in the lua editor will cause mach to stop right there (i suppose its in some infinite loop or something).  this was my laymans understanding of what i read on the forum so PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong! :-)

-Nick

ps- here we go talking about things when this thread is supposed to be for requests only.  >:( ::)  New 'mach hangs on loadup' thread anyone?

No need for a new thread. We went thru this at some length in a thread titled 'modbus' started by myself a short while ago. The developers were kind enough to participate and explained a lot of this exact topic in some detail.

Edit: You are on the right track, BTW with the function wrapping, but there is more to it. Explained well in the thread.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 05:34:52 PM by simpson36 »