Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:21:00 AM

Author Topic: Mach3, Opt Laser 5W and Aspire  (Read 10626 times)

Re: Mach3, Opt Laser 5W and Aspire
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2021, 07:45:24 AM »
TPS - thank you for an explanation about Mach 3 and how it works precisely.

Enable inputs are used to switch on and off the laser work, so they are kind of emergency signals, they are not as FAST as PWM input.
For example, they can be connected to a general signal connected with "I will soon use a laser" or "Laser is safe to use now" but these inputs are not direct modulation inputs.

I asked Allan to use Program 0 so this way Enable inputs states are not taken under the consideration.

Could you confirm that you would like to use two independent inputs, one to set the power level with a constant signal and second to switch it on and of?
It is possible but probably this will work well with ANalog input and one of the Enables input.

Instead of using M10 and M11 maybe we can just use the M3 S0-255 command to switch on the laser and M3 S0 to switch it off?
This way using one signal without any of the Enable inputs.

Offline A11an

•  62 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2021, 08:10:15 AM »
What does everyone else do that control a laser from Mach3? is it just to do with my board (CP0-10v) ?

I think Tweakie's external board is required and maybe this would be a popular addition to the supplied laser.

I just need to work out how to build one!

Allan

Online TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2021, 08:25:48 AM »
if you use M3 Sxyz for power control during g-code this will break constant movement,
that would meam, every time in g-code where M3 Sxyz is used X/Y will stop (and create a burn mark).

M10/M11 will not break constant moves.

all the others witch use Mach3 for laser do it the same way (M10/M11) it is not depended to your (CP0-10V)
board. if you do a serch for M3 and laser you will find a lot threads, witch are describing allways the same
Basic Problem.
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.

Online TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2021, 08:27:53 AM »
even if you think it is good to set power at the Programm begin, only the fact that Me allways produces a small
delay will create a burn mark at start and M5 at the end.

this might be good enough for laser cutting, but not for engraving.

Online TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2021, 08:30:20 AM »
TPS - thank you for an explanation about Mach 3 and how it works precisely.

Enable inputs are used to switch on and off the laser work, so they are kind of emergency signals, they are not as FAST as PWM input.
For example, they can be connected to a general signal connected with "I will soon use a laser" or "Laser is safe to use now" but these inputs are not direct modulation inputs.

I asked Allan to use Program 0 so this way Enable inputs states are not taken under the consideration.

Could you confirm that you would like to use two independent inputs, one to set the power level with a constant signal and second to switch it on and of?
It is possible but probably this will work well with ANalog input and one of the Enables input.

Instead of using M10 and M11 maybe we can just use the M3 S0-255 command to switch on the laser and M3 S0 to switch it off?
This way using one signal without any of the Enable inputs.

so that actually means, only the external board solution would work, what still not explains why we were not
able to get the enable Input working at all.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2021, 08:52:43 AM »
Hi Allen,

I think we have established that the PLH3D-CNC Enable#1 does not work so an alternative as mentioned by TPS is perhaps the way forward.
I suggest that within Mach you change the Spindle Step Pin# to 9 and use that for your PWM rather than the BoB Pin 14.

You don’t really need a board as your BoB can provide the necessary +5V so you could just connect wires to a 74LS00 chip then insulate the connections with clear epoxy or fit it into a small box or whatever. The circuit would be something like the attached diagram. (The wires should be kept as short as practical to avoid the necessity for additional components).

Once you have it working the Mach3 Active High / Low state of the various signal pins can be changed if necessary.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2021, 09:02:05 AM »
We need to program the adapter to make the Enable to work, as per the manual. What state of the signal is needed to switch on the laser high state or low state?
Then it is also easy to externally test the adapter without using the connection to the external board.

Let's do this:
https://optlasersgrav.com/manuals/CNC-Cutting-Laser-Adapter-Settin.html
Point: How to Set Enable Option in PLH3D-CNC Adapter

Set the adapter to Program number 2:

Put on Laser Safety Glasses!!!

DIsconnect the input signals from the breakout board. Switch on the adapter. Arm the laser hread.
On the jumper shown below, there is a jumper that is directly connected with the power input of the PLH3D-CNC Adapter.
When the Adapter is set to Program number 2, the connection below SHOULD NOT switch on the laser.
In order to switch it on Enable 1 also needs to be connected. (In program number 0 the laser will switch on without any signal connected to the enable inputs)

Connect the signal from the EXT switch to both, TTL input AND Enable 1. The laser should switch on.
Assuming that the breakout board you use is outputting 0-10V analog signal it should be connected not to 2nd PIN (PWM/TTL input) but to the 6th pin (Analog 0-10V input)

Offline A11an

•  62 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2021, 09:41:29 AM »

Connect the signal from the EXT switch to both, TTL input AND Enable 1. The laser should switch on.

Just checking, that's 19.5v and connect to TTL input (1st) then Enable 1 (2nd) or both at the same time?

Allan
« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2021, 10:20:51 AM »
Program 0:
TTL connected
ENABLE not connected
Laser is ON
Both connected = laser ON (enable is not taken under consideration)

Program 2:
TTL connected
ENABLE not connected
Laser is OFF
Both connected at the same time = Laser ON.

Offline A11an

•  62 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2021, 10:26:15 AM »
Program 0:
TTL connected
ENABLE not connected
Laser is ON
Both connected = laser ON (enable is not taken under consideration)

Program 2:
TTL connected
ENABLE not connected
Laser is OFF
Both connected at the same time = Laser ON.

We already have it working in that configuration, so we have established that we need the external board kindly detailed by Tweakie, I will get one sorted then hopefully eliminate the delays

Allan