Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:22:49 AM

Author Topic: CS Labs CSMIO/P-A  (Read 51099 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: CS Labs CSMIO/P-A
« Reply #170 on: August 05, 2018, 07:05:40 AM »
Yes, having the IP-A be happy about the spindle rotating via an external means would be the problem. You would have to disable the drive via Mach3 so that the IP-A knows it is disabled and does not try to correct for any subsequent movement.
I am not sure if that is possible or not as I have never tried, I know if I disable drives via Machs Reset then I can manually turn them and the IP-A tracks the position and updates Mach so that once enabled the position is still correct. Whether it would be possible to disable the spindle and enable the C Axis I am not sure.
  Using the Indexing features of an DSD drive may not be the best way to do it anyway, it would just be one means.
If SwapAxis could be used (I don't think it can) then having the axis set as both spindle and C would be the ideal as you would then have a fully functioning C Axis or Spindle

On a friends lathe that I helped configure I set the Turret as a C Axis and it just gets commanded from Mach (via the m6start macro) and moves to the commanded position. Having it closed loop right back to Mach/IP-A is great as it means the encoder feedback is used to confirm the position has been reached. That however does not require SwapAxis or anything similar as it is not having to swap between two different functions, it is purely a turret set as an Axis.

« Reply #171 on: August 05, 2018, 07:07:41 AM »
Justed looked at the Schneider BCH2MM152 1.5kw servo. Looking at the torque graphs it appears to only be marginally behind the 3kw Allen Bradley one. Obviously, this can't be right with half the power?

Craig
I already have the phase converter which I purchased a couple of years ago. It happily powers the 6kw spindle motor on the lathe. My preference would be not to use it and have everything single phase. If I come to sell the lathe in the future it will more than likely go to a hobbiest who wouldn't have 3 phase.

Cheers
Mick
« Reply #172 on: August 05, 2018, 07:35:01 AM »
Hi Mick,
the Allen Bradley with the DSD-030 shows 8Nm at 3000rpm.

angular frequency= 3000 x 2 x PI / 60
                         = 314.1 rad/sec
power =frequency x torque
         = 314.1 x 8
         = 2513 W
         =2.5kW

The BCH2MM152 shows 5Nm at 3000rpm

power = frequency  x torque
          =314.1 x 5
          =1570 W
          =1.5 kW

So firstly the power output of the Allen Bradley servo is 2.5kW not 3kW and secondly when is 5Nm ever 'nearly the same' as 8Nm?
You may note that the low speed torque of the Schneider servo is a little higher, in fact closer to 8Nm, than its ultimate torque, 5Nm, at rated speed,
but it does not mean its more powerful, I rather suspect that change occurs by virtue of the transformation effect of the drive rather than any
characteristic of the servo.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #173 on: August 05, 2018, 07:44:26 AM »
Hi Craig

I was looking more so up to 2000rpm where they look very similar. Yes, there is a big difference at 3000rpm. Would these motors perform the same under 2000rpm?

Cheers
« Reply #174 on: August 05, 2018, 07:54:29 AM »
Hi,

It happily powers the 6kw spindle motor on the lathe. My preference would be not to use it and have everything single phase.

Don't think its going to happen, unless you are prepared to spend some serious money on a high current single phase connection
and suitable high current circuitry 5-6kW is beyond single phase. Hood is of the opinion that 3kW is achievable where my contention is
closer to 2.2kW. As to which if either of us is right does not change that we are in agreement that 5-6kW is beyond single phase.

Yes the two servos would perform almost indistinguishably below 2000 Hz where they are both capable of near identical torque.
The older Allen Bradley design likely has a greater moment of inertia and may therefore take a little longer to accelerate. Most likely
the rotating mass of the lathe is going to predominate in the moment of inertia calculation however.

Craig

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 05, 2018, 08:08:26 AM »
I can only go by what AB say as I am a bit thick when it comes to things of this nature.

« Reply #176 on: August 05, 2018, 08:44:19 AM »
Hi Hood,
who cares whether its 2.2kW or 3kW, Mick is never going to run 5-6kW from a single phase supply.

Craig

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 05, 2018, 09:05:59 AM »
No, that is for sure but a 3Kw High Inertia AC servo may be adequate depending on the size of lathe.
« Reply #178 on: August 05, 2018, 10:08:31 AM »
Hi Both

There's been so many posts and loads of information. All getting confusing.

When you saying I can't run a 5-6kw motor from single phase. Are you talking about a servo motor? As I am running the original motor through my Digi Converter with no issues which is 6kw according to the plate.

Hood

The lathe is a Denford Senior 1990. It weighs about 2 ton. It has an X travel 0f 200mm and a Z of around 400mm.

Would the spindle servomotor need a built-in brake?

Cheers

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 05, 2018, 11:24:05 AM »
That sounds like a big lathe if it is weighing in at 2 Tonne.
Can you shove a pic up of it as I am not really finding anything online that sounds similar.
What spindle nose does it have?