Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:58:31 PM

Author Topic: CS Labs CSMIO/P-A  (Read 51070 times)

Re: CS Labs CSMIO/P-A
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 07:48:18 AM »
Hi Allan

Yes, they are DC Servos. I now have movement of the X-axis :D. The way the manual tells you to set up the servo is to enable the drive with 0v and adjust RV1 on the drive until movement stops. It then tells you to apply max voltage (10v) to the drive and adjust the command gain RV2 on the personality module until the desired rpm is reached. The first part works but when applying 10v to the drive and adjusting RV2 it makes little difference to the speed. There are other adjustments on there as I said before but I don't fully understand what to do with them.

I have axis movement when I run a simple program but the speed is very limited to around 300mm minute.

The CSMIO manual says to set the steps within mach3 as follows for the motor tuning. PPR / pitch. My encoders are 2500ppr and I have a ball screw pitch 0f 5mm. This gives 500 which I have entered into the motor tuning in Mach 3. I understand you're not into Mach 3 but just giving you a rundown.

I'll try tuning the CSMIO controller and see what happens.

Appreciate your time on this thanks.

Mick
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 09:38:12 AM »
Mick

Glad you are moving in a forward direction.

As you have movement you might like to do a quick check that you are moving the correct distance. For example, enter asimple move of 50mm using G1 G91 X50 F100 or something similar into Mach3's MDI line and check that movement is the correct distance. I suggest this just to check that your encoders deliver 2500 pulses per rotation as opposed to 2500 lines, as the latter would give you 10000 pulser per rev. Otherwise your arithmetic is fine. Be sure to use the pulses, rather than lines per rev in the CMIO plugin as well.

Allan
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 10:56:05 AM »
Thanks, Allan

It says on the encoder PPR 2500. Nothing about lines. I'm setting Mach 3 motor outputs tuning steps to 500 and in the CSMIO I'm setting to 2500. (Should this be 500 as well)?

I'm having loads of issues.

Unable to increase the speed of the motors past around 300mm minute.
The motors are completely out of sync with mach3. Mach 3 gets to the correct position and stops whilst the motors carry on. I think it is due to the program having a higher speed command than the motors are delivering.
Tried to autotune in the CSMIO but it doesn't work. Left it running for around half an hour. I set the KP at 550 anything over that and the motor starts moving. The auto-tune took the KI over 100,000 and was still going.

I have attached a picture of the encoder. It's not that clear on the photo but definitely says PPR 2500.

Mick

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 11:14:25 AM »
Hi,
best guess is that 2500 PPR is 2500 line encoder and therefore 10,000 counts per revolution.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 11:51:13 AM »
Thanks Joe.

Just been reading up on encoders. My encoders have A A- B B- Z Z- which I think makes them quadrature output. So if I understand correctly the PPR could be 2500X4 counting all edges. Making it 10000 pulses per revolution?

This is frying my brain.
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2018, 01:53:29 PM »
Set the motor output steps in Mach 3 to 2000. 2500PPR X 4/ Pitch 5mm. Set The CSMIO motion controller to 10,000 PPR. Done the auto-tune on the CSMIO. The X-axis now moves accurately within 100th MM.

Still cannot get the motor to run over 60 rpm?? The feed rate does not increase over approx F300. The CSMIO is outputting 10v when a high-speed command input is entered. 

Has anyone got any ideas?  Is it Mach 3 configuration, a servo drive problem or Configuration of the CSMIO?

Really could do with some help here. Thanks, Allan and Joe so far. 

Mick

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2018, 02:22:02 PM »
Hi,
you say the CSMIO is producing 10V.....is that the output that goes to the drive?

If that's the case the drive should be producing max voltage/current to the motor. If you hook a 9V battery to the signal input
of the drive the servo should go flat-out or close to it.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2018, 02:29:19 PM »
Hi

Yes if you put a feed rate of say 5000 the controller puts 10v on the command Hi Low input to the drive. I have already tried a 9v battery and the speed doesn't increase any more than it does for a 1.5v battery. It does sound like a driver issue but they were working fine with the old controller. There was never an issue with the speed of the motors.

Mick
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2018, 04:37:23 PM »
I also had a rather frustrating afternoon. Went to use the bandsaw for a bit of domestic renovation and to my surprise and dismay  it wouldn't go. Opening it up I found a mouse nest in the base and the little so and so's had completely chewed through one of the internal cables: sheath, insulation and copper, the lot. It will be quite an awkward job to fix. Oh well, the joys of living in the English countryside.

Craig

Thanks for stepping in. I suspected the encoders would be 10000ppr. I have no experience of these dc servos and drives at all, so could do with your knowledge of this stuff.

Mick

The CSMIO cannot produce more than +/-10V however it is tuned, and that should cause your motor to reach maximum speed. So either the servo's gain is lower than expected, or the motor is current limiting for some reason. Does the servo drive have any diagnostics or  error indications? I guess I've been spoilt by modern ac servos and drives.

You need to be confident the drive is working and tuned correctly before you can sensibly tune the CSMIO. Your current settings sound very strange to me, I would expect the proporthional gain setting to be a lot (10x ?) higher than the integral gain.  But I would leave the CSMIO until you have resolved why the drive cannot produce the motor speed you expect.

Do you have the original or the FP4 version of the CSMIO ?

Allan
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 04:48:52 PM by Fledermaus »
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2018, 05:04:47 PM »
Hi Allan

I ordered the CSMIO straight from CS labs. Not really sure what you mean as far as being original?  I have posted on the Denford forums to see if anyone can advise on tuning the drives as they are off one of there machines.
It does look like a drive issue but doesn't make sense??
Those mice can be a nightmare.  :-[8

Mick