Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:25:05 PM

Author Topic: Only X-axis motor is working  (Read 33587 times)

Re: Only X-axis motor is working
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2018, 12:03:09 AM »
Hi,
the highest power/torque will be achieved with a parallel combination. It will also be the combination which gets hottest fastest.

The trick to wiring them in parallel is to ensure that the two windings of the pair are co-phase. You either have to measure it by feeding a signal into one
coil and monitor the phase of the voltage induced in the second.

The diagram you posted suggests that you have enough information to do it by trial and error if the groupings of the four windings into two phases can be believed.

Wire the two phases in what you think is co-phase and try it. The swap the one winding in one phase only and try it, if its better then that phase has now got co-phase windings,
if not they were co-phase in the previous wiring condition. Now do the same excerise with the other motor phase.

Once you've got it correct don't keep fiddling with it. It will just keep introducing more diagnostic variables when you are actually trying to eliminate them.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2018, 01:35:06 AM »
Hi,
the highest power/torque will be achieved with a parallel combination. It will also be the combination which gets hottest fastest.

The trick to wiring them in parallel is to ensure that the two windings of the pair are co-phase. You either have to measure it by feeding a signal into one
coil and monitor the phase of the voltage induced in the second.

The diagram you posted suggests that you have enough information to do it by trial and error if the groupings of the four windings into two phases can be believed.

Wire the two phases in what you think is co-phase and try it. The swap the one winding in one phase only and try it, if its better then that phase has now got co-phase windings,
if not they were co-phase in the previous wiring condition. Now do the same excerise with the other motor phase.

Once you've got it correct don't keep fiddling with it. It will just keep introducing more diagnostic variables when you are actually trying to eliminate them.

Craig
Once I get it right, I'm done fiddling. LOL

I know which coils pair. I'm not worried about that. I verified it earlier as well.

To find the polarity of the paired coils, I excited one of the coils to see the step. I kept trying different combinations of polarities and coils until it did NOT step from the known step.
Once I had that pair set with the proper polarity I was able to do the same with the other set of coils.

When I was done I compared to the diagram I posted and they match. Basically, I double checked them.

Now I have them wired in parallel and just need to find a way to make them step clean.

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2018, 01:37:53 AM »
Does your driver include 'anti-resonance'? Without this, you can sometimes get quite poor performance.

Cheers
Roger
« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2018, 02:28:20 AM »
Does your driver include 'anti-resonance'? Without this, you can sometimes get quite poor performance.

Cheers
Roger

Don't know, I will have to look into that.
I'm using a VERY popular driver. I can't imagine it being that popular if it's built like crud.

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2018, 03:09:09 AM »
When drive A is half the price of drive B, you may find that Drive A is VERY popular.
But when Drive A is half the price of drive B, I ask myself WHY is it so much cheaper?
Generalities ...

Cheers
Roger
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2018, 03:11:24 AM »
When drive A is half the price of drive B, you may find that Drive A is VERY popular.
But when Drive A is half the price of drive B, I ask myself WHY is it so much cheaper?
Generalities ...

Cheers
Roger

True. And there were cheaper drivers.

I'm not giving up on the drivers til I test them with a 4 wire stepper.

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2018, 03:16:40 AM »
If you can figure out which are the A coil and which are the B coils, you can simply use one A coil and one B coil. The end results may be very similar.

Cheers
Roger
« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2018, 01:53:20 PM »
That's how I started.
The weird thing is that every (good)  configuration yields similar results. Low speeds are choppy and there are missed steps when running a g-code.
« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2018, 03:51:55 PM »
This morning I changed the stepper driver configuration to 400 steps per revolution and it seems smoother. I ran my test g-code and the stepper returned to zero after the test. This is the first time it's done that.

I do still get extra "vibration" at a lower speed but it appears to hold steps so that's a plus.

There are other configurations I can pursue on the driver so I'll probably play around a little more.

I still need to get some new steppers with more strength when I do the actual build so I don't know that I need to worry about these 8 wire motors too much. I figure if I can make them work perfect then a four wire motor would probably be childs play.

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2018, 04:30:38 PM »
First posting on steppers: 18/March
This posting on steppers: 31/March
The learning curve has been steep but effective?

Cheers
Roger