Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:00:13 PM

Author Topic: Novice to Mach3, may be asking too much??  (Read 19065 times)

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
Re: Novice to Mach3, may be asking too much??
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2016, 03:58:08 PM »
Tacho feedback can pretty much be classed as obsolete technology.

With modern DSP (Digital Signal Processing) tech, an encoder can be used to provide the same information but far quicker and more accurately.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2016, 01:40:16 PM »
Can't find any documentation for the drives so not sure if there are encoder outputs on it as well.
On most modern drives they take encoder inputs and they also have encoder outputs so you can connect them to your control, you can usually multiply or divide the outputs to suit your control if required.
 With the hobby end of the drive market there often is no option for encoder outputs, most probably because most of these drives are intended to be used with controls such as Mach which normally do not have encoder feedback (step/Dir controllers such as LPT, SmoothStepper etc etc)
If there are not encoder outs from the drive you should be able to just jumper across from the drives encoder inputs to the CSMIO encoder inputs and it should work fine.
Hood

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2016, 02:16:58 PM »
The documentation for the drives is listed in the bottom right corner of the page. It took me a while to find the links.

They're only amplifiers, so it's up to whatever controller you're using to take the encoder feedback and close the loop.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2016, 02:38:37 PM »
Thanks see it now, also I misunderstood the question, was thinking that it had encoder feedback to the drives but they have no feedback at all, so very basic amps indeed.

Hood
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2016, 03:53:04 PM »
yes definately basic, but i wonder whether the CSMIO module will do all the necessary to compensate? my motor encoder feedback will be going straight to the CSMIO anyway as the existing aging servo amps dont handle it. i just wonder if the system will still need the tach signal?
if it doesnt this is a nice cheap replacement for the aging servo amps fitted.

on a plus note my delivery from CS Labs arived today, so im in the workshop now, scratching my head.

i was given a old desktop pc with XP, so thats in here now along with a wifi extender i picked today, allows me to work in the workshop and research info from here at the same time.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2016, 04:58:40 PM »
Those amps use torque/current mode so do not really require feedback, theoretically they should work fine with the IP-A, how easy in practice it will be to tune the IP-A with them I have no idea. I have never used Torque mode on my machines, always just stuck with Velocity. Think mc said he tried Torque mode in his AC Servos with his kFlop controller but can't recall whether it was a success or not.

Hood

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2016, 05:13:33 PM »
I managed to get a better result with Velocity mode, however by the time I tried Torque mode, I was already getting good results with velocity mode.

In theory Torque mode should give better results, however everything has to be tuned well to achieve it or it won't work well, unlike velocity mode where you can usually get reasonable results even if things aren't tuned that well.
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2016, 05:40:32 PM »
knocking it on the head for the night. started identifying cables and wire numbers off the old scematic to patch accros to the new system. slowly slowly catch a monkey.
thamks for your replies

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2016, 05:53:54 PM »
Saw some motors and drives on eBay today, about £300 for a motor/drive. Motors are 0.6Kw 12000rpm max,(would need gearing)
Just thought I would mention in case you are thinking along AC Servo lines, not even sure if they would be suitable or not for the lathe..
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2016, 05:57:32 PM »
Also, just remembered, a friend has some Lenze motors and drives for sale, think they are 1Kw, only problem is the motors have a gear end shaft so it would need sleeved in some way.
Hood