Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:07:22 AM

Author Topic: Novice to Mach3, may be asking too much??  (Read 19063 times)

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
Re: Novice to Mach3, may be asking too much??
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 05:26:54 PM »
There are a few servo amps available for DC servo motors, however I'm having a complete mind blank as to the manufacturers!

Personally I'd say run what you have for now if it works, but plan for replacing later, unless you really need as much reliability as possible, in which case I'd look at swapping to AC servos.
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 05:36:57 PM »
Thanks.
Just been looking at all the kit on the CS-lab website. All very tempting!

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 03:12:26 AM »
I did a retro-fit on the machine at work, its just a foil printing press which has three foil feeds - I just treated it as XYZ and used a three channel pc card motion controller and wrote the front-end in visual basic, has a touch-screen and works perfectly, however the drive amps were extremely costly at about £500 each due to the motors - this was about 8 years ago. If i had known then what i know now, i would have fitted AC servos i think and a CSMIO as the PC card was about £1000 alone.
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 10:07:50 AM »
Hi guys, I'm on the brink of ordering the following,
CSMIO/IP-A x 1
CSMIO-enc x 1
And
CSMIO-MPG.
My question being, if I had to MPG  modules, could I move both X and Z simultaneously? Since I have two electronic hand wheels, consisting of heidenhain, 600PPR encoders with handles, to simulate using the manually, handy for quick operations without programming?

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2016, 10:13:56 AM »
Hi

can't answer your MPG q but when ordering you might want to add a breakout block for the MPG module as you don't get one with it and maybe one of the matching 24v distribution blocks as well ;)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2016, 02:46:44 PM »
Not as far as I am aware regarding the MPG, the module has connections for only one MPG.

Regarding the breakout board, I just used an old parallel port cable for the MPG module as all the switches, MPG etc are all on the same panel so easy to route the cable and take the wires to the switches/MPG etc.

Hood
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2016, 05:14:12 PM »
Well I've done it chaps. Put in an order with CS-labs for the CSMIO IP/A, with threading and MPG modules. Spent last night rewiring the machines existing control to operate from mains single phase supply, leaving only the spindle motor requiring three phase, (from my phase converter) I managed to power up the ageing 386 PC based control after swapping out the power supply.
I was able to prove that one axis is fully operational and that the other has a fault. By swapping the servo amplifiers around I've proved the X axis servo amp has failed. It's giving a constant 100dc to the motor making it run away. I'm guessing failed thyristor
I've found a replacement in the guise of a MCS110-6/12 dc servo amp made by AXOR industries. I'm hoping for great things from it, so fingers crossed.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2016, 02:20:06 AM »
Sounds good :)
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 03:24:32 AM »
Very excited Dave. I can't wait to get started.
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2016, 09:14:41 AM »
I've just found this source of dc servo drives, British made.
http://www.trminternational.com/index.php/products/motors-a-drives/dc-servo-drives.html

They seem well priced, but I have a question.
My dc motors have a tacho signal fed back, but these drive don't use that signal, relying on the encoder signals going back to the controller.
Could I use this method with the CSMIO/IP-A to control my motor positions? I intend to feed encoders direct to it, but what are the consequences of not use the tacho signal?